[Standard] Talonflame/Typhlosion

ClickTheLynx

Hey there guys! Was wondering if I could get some feedback on this deck. So I currently play a lot of TCGO but sadly don't have the cards to play test this so can't really get a good feel for it. So was hoping I could get some feedback from some more professional deck builders!
I've looked up a lot of lists and tried to take what I think is best from each one, along with considering new cards etc, but anyway!

Pokemon (13):

• 4 Talonflame (STS 96)
  • 4 Cyndaquil (BKT 18)
  • 1 Quilava (BKT 19)
  • 4 Typhlosion (BKT 20)

Trainers/Supporters (19):

• 1 Energy Recycler
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 2 Random Receiver
  • 3 N
  • 1 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Skyla

Energy (28):

• 28 Fire Energy

I saw a lot of lists running 4 Judge's which I found strange at first, But then I realized it's probably better than N after the first 2 KOs (or first if your against EX's), I wanted to experiment with 2 of each but obviously I lack some of the cards at the moment. So since the deck is meant to be fast, I'm going to assume that Judge is better than N in this situation? With the exception of having it in your opening hand.

Most of the deck lists I saw also didn't include any Sycamores, which I suppose is also fair, better to shuffle your energy back in than discard it. Speaking of discarding, I really wanted to find space for 2-3 copies of Scorched Earth (and 4 Balloons) but obviously being a Typhlosion deck deck space is limited as you want plenty of energy. I also thought about Teammates but dunno what I'd swap out, Skyla maybe? But it requires losing a guy :(

My first version of the list also had 2 Shaymin EX's (all I own) but my thoughts were, it's better to mulligan into a Talonflame or Cyndaquil than being stuck with a single Shaymin, plus good for denying prizes.
Another card I was contemplating was 1-2 Level Balls, since it's fetch-able with Skyla (sure it's obvious but yes she's there to fetch the Rare Candy or Ultra Balls where needed) and can grab my Cyndaquil's and even a Quilava if needed. But I'm sure I'll have spare Energy/Talonflames in hand to discard to Ultra Ball.

Instead of 2 Energy Recycler I thought I'd experiment with the new Brock's Grit, since it allows me to recycle my Tyhplosion line in long games, sorta like Recycler and Super Rod mashed into one.
With so many Supporter cards I did want to find space for VS Seekers as well, but my thinking was games shouldn't last that long hopefully, and Random Receiver would be just as good, with the added bonus of thinning my deck. (Though a 2nd Lysandre would be nice).

Anyway, would love some feedback on the deck! What changes you would make and so on. Thanks! :D

Let's see... You're planning to use Massive Eruption, right?  You'll probably want at least 30 energy, probably closer to 40 if you can manage.  Maybe a Brigette, certainly Skyla for rare candies, and probably four N.  This is a deck that wants to set up really fast without discarding much, so Talonflame is definitely great.  So I'm going to say try swapping 1 cyndaquil, 1 typhlosion, 1 skyla, 1 brock's grit, and 4 judge for 4 fire energy and 4 N.  However, I do not have much experience with Typhlosion so this is just what seems good from an overview standpoint.

Whilst I like the idea of adding more Fire Energy (and love Brigette), I don't feel comfortable cutting 1 Cyndaquil (nor Typhlosion), I'd struggle to draw a turn 1 basic and with no way to shuffle my guys back into my deck, at best I'd only have 3 Typhlosions to win with (and that's if none get prized!).

Since you mention swapping Judge for N, what is your opinion on that? Since once I knock out a single EX, N will be drawing the same amount... but gets veeeery quickly worse afterwards. Due to Massive Eruptions self destructive nature it's win quick or deck out trying lol. (The perfect scenario being turn 1 Talonflame, turn 2 retreat into Cyndaquil, Rare Candy into Typhlosion, attach energy, swing!)
So I'd either be high on prizes or grab 'em up quick.

This is exactly one of the things I'd like to play test in the deck, try the deck out a few times with 4 Judge then with 4 N see how it plays out, sorta one of those things you wanna test first. However sadly I'm lacking 3 Typhlosions and 2 Talonflames to try the deck out. (Same experimenting with the amount of energies).

Maybe cut -1 Lysandre and -1 Judge for +2 Energy? I feel 28 would be plenty, 40 is absolute madness. (Most decks I've researched seem to use anything between 24 and 30)

Whilst I like the idea of adding more Fire Energy (and love Brigette), I don't feel comfortable cutting 1 Cyndaquil (nor Typhlosion), I'd struggle to draw a turn 1 basic and with no way to shuffle my guys back into my deck, at best I'd only have 3 Typhlosions to win with (and that's if none get prized!).

Since you mention swapping Judge for N, what is your opinion on that? Since once I knock out a single EX, N will be drawing the same amount... but gets veeeery quickly worse afterwards. Due to Massive Eruptions self destructive nature it's win quick or deck out trying lol. (The perfect scenario being turn 1 Talonflame, turn 2 retreat into Cyndaquil, Rare Candy into Typhlosion, attach energy, swing!)

So I'd either be high on prizes or grab 'em up quick.

This is exactly one of the things I'd like to play test in the deck, try the deck out a few times with 4 Judge then with 4 N see how it plays out, sorta one of those things you wanna test first. However sadly I'm lacking 3 Typhlosions and 2 Talonflames to try the deck out. (Same experimenting with the amount of energies).

Maybe cut -1 Lysandre and -1 Judge for +2 Energy? I feel 28 would be plenty, 40 is absolute madness. (Most decks I've researched seem to use anything between 24 and 30)

The reason N is better is that your deck will need to set up quickly, and needs to draw fast.  It's true that eventually Judge will draw more, but at that point you want to be completely set up anyway.

Very good point! :D Will swap them over!

So far;
-4 Judge
-1 Lysandre
+3 N
+2 Energy

Thank you for the feedback, going to try and get my hands on the cards I need and see if I can test out a few different versions :)

I'm also thinking of removing Brock's Grit for another Recycler (or Super Rod for the option of shuffling my Typhlosion line back in), because drawing it off Random Receiver would be pretty crappy. Which should I run? Another Energy Recycler or a Super Rod?

I started with Typhlosion some time ago and I arrived to a 4th version of the deck. Sometimes one version to other means just switching a card but I duplicate the deck before doing changes for if I feel it was better, not having to remember what I changed, just play with the previous one and done.

I have a 53% W/L ratio over 140 matches. This means 2 things: first, can be improved for sure; and second, it's a nice deck to play fast but it's dependant on drawing luck more than on consistency.

A card I miss from your build is Teammates. It's my only 4 supporter together with 3 Skyla. KOed? Teammates for a Candy, Typhlo or energy (or whatever you want !!) and attacking again. I really never wanted an N or Judge and I would hardly include Sycamore. If you set up right and with Teammates, no need of Lysandre at all. I had a Random receiver on version 2 but I cut it for the last one. Playing it's when you feel you miss something and discover what you don't use at all.

I also miss Escape rope.

I ended up with trying the consistence of 2 Energy recycler, 2 Super Rod, 2 Escape , 2 and 2 Ultra B+Level and an awkward Proffesor letter. Skyla for it, 1 energy and here comes the show. Saved me to loose turns so much times.

I started with 26 energies but ended with 24 and with the 2+2 Recycler+Rod it's way near to be enough. Anyway I would like to have 2 or 3 more energies if I could.

Since the beginning I'm running 2 MewEX (very useful sometimes and at the risk of 2 prizes, you save a Typhlo in bench that will be in play later. This use to work). You can copy attacks of the opponent sometimes and need to take care of psy weakness (but also the opponent's Mewtwo/Hoopa have to), and I ended with only 2 Talonflame which it's probably not the best, but I maintain a strong 4-2-4 and 4 Rare candies Typhlo line.

Forgot balloons and remove Sycamore and Lysandre. Including stadiums it's also a hard work. If you do, 2 as much but with time you'll see they're way more situational than essential in the deck. I never thought about Vs Seeker to be honest, LOL, seems a nice idea since you're going to discard a lot and also you can re-use what already played. But to be consistent need 2-3 at least. Random receiver works very nice if you don't have a lot to choose (like mine, just 2 supporters) but with so much different ones I wouldn't recommend it.

So a the end for your build, without MewEX and what you commented above I would go with something like:

Pokémon (13)
4-1-4 Typhlo
4 Talonflame

Trainers (21)
1 Energy Recycler
4 Ultra Ball
4 Rare Candy
2 Random Receiver
1 Brock's Grit (not sure. The good with Super rod and Energy recycler is that you can use it same turn as Skyla an Teammates. Typhlo back to the deck and Teammmates to hand with a candy and attack again the just KOed one, or whatever combination. Though I'm not convinced as being a supporter, it's a thing to try).

4 Judge > 4 Teammates
1 Professor Sycamore > 1 Super rod
3 Skyla
1 Lysandre > 1 Level ball

Energy (26)
26 Fire Energy

Maybe I even try this one myself or something very close (leave just 1 MewEX, add more Talon and 1 more energy or 2..) :lol:

BTW, I think I have 1 extra Typhlosion, add me to trade if you want.

Ha! Mew EX is a fun idea :D Being able to use Typhlosions attack if it's on the bench! I like that. Will have to try it maybe after I finish the deck. (My only concern is it lessens the chance of getting a turn1 Talonflame... and also puts an EX in my deck for easy prizes).

Is Teammates really that good? Granted I haven't played the deck so can't say, but I'd hope things don't die that often hahaha. Feels like it would be a dead card often, where as N (instead of judge) seems useful through-out, especially in the early turns when your trying to set up... though, Teammates does let you fetch all your combo pieces which is really nice, so would like to try it.

I'm thinking of removing Brock's Grit, it's a great, great card but I'd much rather get a Skyla or something from my Random Receiver, drawing a Grit early game with Receiver would suuuuck. So thinking of replacing it for a 2nd Energy Recycler or a Super Rod.

(P.s. Unrelated but how do I make an avatar?! xD Can't figure this website out!)

Yes, MexEX it's also 1 energy MewtwoEX KO and 2 energies MMewtwo and Hoopa KOs. On the other side you have to choose when to play it and when to just discard it as will be worst than better for the 2 prizes.

I didn't tried Judge or N so I can't compare but I feel Teammates is good enough. Anyway, I'll be glad to discover both N or Judge worth so please tell us when you played some games!

As I told, feel the same with Brock. A second Recycler seems the best. When you discarded half the deck, returning 5 energies increases your chances of energy discard more than a 20% (so at least one out of every 5 discarded cards double the possibilities to be an energy). But you'll see with the games if you frequently need to recover more pokémon. If the case, add a super rod which you can combine.

Avatar: In the game itself, open the Lvl tab (right to yellow cart) and one of the options is Avatar. You can do it just there without going to the website.

In the website once logged in, you will see in the left part a tab green, black, orange and grey with a magnifying glass. The orange one with a very small monkey wrench it's to modify avatar

Some feedback after playing some games. (Currently 13/2 out of 15 games).

Absolutely LOVE N in the deck, he is an amazing early draw and great for shuffling those nothing but energy hands back into your deck. Often had games where I'd put down all my basic pokémon and N let me shuffle 4-5 energy cards from my hand back into my deck instead of just being wasted.

It also really helps you get set up early, being able to dump your hand then draw 6, just makes your starts better. It doesn't really matter he's worse later on since by then you've already set up.

My current list looks like;

Pokemon (13):

• 4 Talonflame (STS 96)
  • 4 Cyndaquil (BKT 18)
  • 1 Quilava (BKT 19)
  • 4 Typhlosion (BKT 20)

Trainers/Supporters (20):

• 2 Energy Recycler
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 2 Random Receiver
  • 3 N
  • 1 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Skyla

Energy (27):

• 27 Fire Energy

After a few games I quickly upped the number of Skyla to 4, just to make sure I can get one early, so fantastic for drawing Candy or Ultra Balls... heck I've even used her to fetch Random Receiver before in clutch games!

27 Energy seems more than enough, out of all my games I've only ever once milled just 1 energy for Eruption, has always been 2, sometimes more.

(Energy vs Deck Percent%, 26=43.33%, 27=45%, ************ the deck).

Anyway... Talonflame is hands down the *Star* of this deck, he is absolutely stunning! Getting a turn 1 Talonflame is basically a win, being able to fetch all your combo parts/pokémon early on, (as long as no one shuffles them back in with an N) it's so fantastic. Quite often had 2 Typhlosions by turn 3 and with a free retreat cost you can easily knock out the opponents first Pokémon (if its basic) with 2 attacks then switch over, or if it's an EX set up a super early Typhlosion and then switch him in!

Other than that... hmm, 2 Energy Recycler was definitely the right choice. I tried out 3 Teammates but only ever drew one once and never got to play it O.o lol. Also wondering if I should swap my 1 of Sycamore to something else... but nothings come to mind yet!

ClickTheLynx thank you very much for submitting your version of Massive Eruption!

Also i would like to thank everyone who helped CLickTheLynx :)

Absolutely! Got some great feedback from people here as well as some great ideas from them!

Took quite a few games to smooth it out but I love how it's turned out! Ahaha :D ....But hey, maybe I'm just REALLY lucky with Talonflame, seem to get it most games, even if it is a 40%~ chance. But even without with Ultra Balls and Skyla it ran so smoothly! Some nice quick fun games :D

• 2 weeks later...

I also run a typhlosion deck, I have 2 energy recycler. Its a boost if you have less energies. I would say lysandre isn't helpful, nor is sycamore. You want brigette, N, 3 Cyndaquils, 2 Quilava and 4 Typhlosion.. Here's why, you will have a greater chance of starting with Talonflame. Then you can grab a few energy recycler in to your hand. After that you are ready to go. :)

I would keep 25 energies due to its plan and setup. You are running 2 energy recycler and a super rod remember? :)

After lots more playing, I've tweeked the list to this final build;
Pokémon - (13)

• 4Talonflame (STS 96)
  • 4 Cyndaquil (BKT 18)
  • 1 Quilava (BKT 19)
  • 4 Typhlosion (BKT 20)

Trainer Cards - (20)

• 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Energy Recycler
  • 2 Random Receiver
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 4 Skyla
  • 2 Judge
  • 1 Shauna

Energy - (27)

• 27 Fire Energy

I was really tempted to cut Cyndiquil to 3, but I've had too many "infinite mulligan" games so made me too nervous haha! Not that it typically has an impact on the game, since the deck is so fast unless it's all Max Elixirs the opponent often rarely uses the extra cards/or sycamor's them away haha!

I've switched out N for Judge and Shauna, typically with a quick set up you will blast away an opponents EX, leaving you with 4 prizes, so over all Judge works out much better, able to shrink your opponents hand. Otherwise Shauna is like N minus 1 card (at best), so I found she was fantastic in this deck once you started taking Prizes, better than Sycamore too as you can shuffle energy in hand back into your deck. Heck kinda tempted to replace a Judge for a 2nd one!

Otherwise, Skyla is a cruch in the deck, able to fetch Rare Candy, Ultra Balls, blimy sometimes even other Supporters to set up for next turn. Random Receiver is amazing in the deck, after playing lots of game with it, it digs deeeep. Far far better than Trainers' Mail which in this deck would often whiff and miss.

I cut out Teammates for a Super Rod, but think it could easily fit in the deck, though not sure what I'd replace.

Either way, been seeing this deck a lot more online haha! Nice to see others playing this/similar lists :D

This set up should work well, I haven't played my Typhlosion deck in a while. Maybe I will try it out soon. I am also planning some unique new decks. But they need some testing. At the moment though, after some of my personal tweaks, I have made my version of night march. It is my most satisfying and successful deck I would say. I get bored of winning with it. I am not bragging... really!

Would you like to see it? :)

Add me in game, I am usually there most of the time!

Happy gaming!

After lots more playing, I've tweeked the list to this final build;

Pokémon - (13)

• 4Talonflame (STS 96)
  • 4 Cyndaquil (BKT 18)
  • 1 Quilava (BKT 19)
  • 4 Typhlosion (BKT 20)

Trainer Cards - (20)

• 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Energy Recycler
  • 2 Random Receiver
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 4 Skyla
  • 2 Judge
  • 1 Shauna

Energy - (27)

• 27 Fire Energy

Thank you so much, i will update deck list in my account ASAP :)

Archived