What is the best way to practice multiple decks?

ThePS101

The problem with PTCGO is the "pay-to-win" because of the token system.  In other major card games, they have a simulator that allows players to create decks withOUT the use of tokens locking you out.  That simulator even gives you the option to play against AI decks to get used to the deck so you (somewhat) know what the heck you are doing when you play real people.  That simulator also allows you to test cards from future sets so you know what deck to "invest" in.

Is there any way to test multiple top decks without the "pay wall?"

• Downvote 1

I'm tired after that chat message.  Moving into autopilot: (attempts to calm crowd) (filibusters, preaches acceptance) (agrees with whatever Seminc said without reading his post) (realizes Seminc hasn't posted yet) (sighs)

Edited by SuperStone

Pay to win? This game? >.< Where do I even start?

First of all, the phrase "pay to win" as it is understood in gaming communities (any gaming community) is a game where you are forced to spend cash in order to win. The phrase carries a negative connotation and it's usually tantamount to saying "it takes no skill to win, just buy all the premium stuff and you auto win". I doubt this is what you meant to say, but this is what pay to win means in most contexts and it's what most people will think when they see you saying that the game is "pay to win".

Second, no, tokens don't count as needing to pay in order to win, not even in the sense that you meant. The only cards you can buy with tokens are tradelocked boosters, which are too risky to buy to many of unless you're hunting common or uncommon cards, as are most trainers. Even then, it's still much easier to either claim codes, play some tournaments or a mix of both and use tradable packs to obtain exactly the cards you need.

Third, most of the negative connotations of the phrase "pay to win" stem from the fact that such games take little to no skill and/or effort in order to be successful at the game. If you really think it just takes tokens to get all the cards you need, then I suggest that you think how many tradelocked booster packs exactly you would need to buy in order to guarantee obtaining all the staples you need to build a deck. The game gives you a lot of tokens if you play often, but not enough that you can build entire decks out of nothing but cards pulled from tradelocked packs. You could, but it would take a lot of effort, patience and luck to get everything you need. So if someone manages to earn enough tokens to do this, you can bet your *** that the guy earned his right to have good cards through sheer effort and persistance.

Fourth, [disclaimer: obligatory 300 refference ahead, please skip over if you find it too cringy], THIS. IS. POKEMON. This is not a different TCGO. People continuously think that "but MTG does this" or "Yugioh does that" is a good basis for how pokemon should be. In short, no it's not. There's nothing wrong with taking the good things of other TCGs and incorporating them here, that much I can agree with. However, that is not a valid reason in and of itself to say that the PTCGO must be that way. In this particular suggestion I can't say there are reasons relating to the meta or anything that would be exclusive to the PTCGO that would make a testing/sandbox mode impossible to implement, so I could agree with it. That said, if it ever is implemented, it must be kept exclusively for use in friend battles and against the AI and exclusively for the purpose of playtesting before commiting to obtaining the cards for real and making a deck for VS and tournaments. There is a good reason for this; it'd be almost completely pointless to obtain cards, trade, open packs, or anything else if we could use whatever cards we wanted without having to obtain them, and if such a change were implemented it would wreck havoc in our community. Do keep in mind that this means you will still have to spend your resources (packs and tokens) in order to build up your collection and make decks you want to use for real in PvP, or as you would probably prefer to put it, "you'd still need to pay to win".

Lastly, there is no "pay wall". Some cards that are useful competitively are stupid expensive, I know. But most of the staples one needs to make a good deck (even if not tier 1) are cheap cards that can be obtained by trading a few packs and maybe opening a few tradelocked packs from the shop. N? the game gives you 4 for free. Sycamore? The game gives you so many of those you could make a campfire with the spare ones and you'd actually have enough fire to last you through the night. Ultra Balls? Same business. At least half of all the trainers you'll ever need on an average deck already come for free. The rest you can trade for without committing a ton of resources. As far as pokemon goes, it depends a lot on what deck you want, but unless you're trying to build a very expensive deck (M Ray if you play to use a full playset of Shaymins), you should be able to build any good deck on a limited budget.

If you require any help in learning the ropes of trading and deckbuilding, please do ask for more help. We'll be pleased to show you the way, but you need a better mindset if you want to do well. The game will not give you everything for free. It does give you plenty of freebies, but it won't give you all the cards. It doesn't now and it never will. If you know what you're doing (and you will after you learn the basics of trading and how to make the most out of limited resources) then you don't need to spend too much time or money (be it real or virtual) to make good decks.

Now, if you tell me you want a playset of Shaymins or SR UBs, then freaking work for them xd You don't need luxuries like that when you're only getting started. Once you've got a solid base you can work on obtaining more expensive cards.

• Upvote 1

Come on. It's slow at the beginning and you need to research to understand a lot of things but, you can't complain. I was 3 months to build my 1st competitive (and cheap) deck (Night march) when I started. WITHOUT: Fortune wheels, Vs Ladder, Tournaments, Daily challenges, and more. And I could do it in 2 months (probably) but I was at my own speed.

The only way to win coins was Daily log in (which it's not so much), 10 coins for the 1st game of the day and Play mini-games in Pokémon website outside the game. No more.

Now they give you coins for everything. Coins for play, even loosing. Free non-locked packs in Tournaments, EX and evo chains in ladder and packs and coins, and more coins in Daily challenge and if you loose in tournament more coins, and...

I didn't spent a single real money €/$ on the game and I managed to have MMewtwo EX Y, M Scizor, Xerneas Force, Volcanion EX, Night March, Trev Break, Vir-Gen, MRay... not when cards just released or instantly when the deck becomes strong but with the time (Vir-Gen was 8 months to build for example) you finally can build whatever I can say without too much effort, just playing because playing gives you everything you need to build any tier 1 deck of the Meta, if you trade a bit of course.

A test zone with unlimited availability of cards would end with the TRADE part of the game at all because you could play anyway with virtually in collection cards. Against friends only? Who cares if you have all the cards of the game available. No one would need to go play out there on Vs or Tournaments to win nothing because you already had everything. If any time this happens, should be strictly limited to the AI (which lacks a lot of the "i" part) and you would destroy any AI trainer with any EX (even with the worst of it, you can try it now, there's the option) so really testing nothing and to test nothing, no need to implement all that stuff.

Starting is boring? Limited to Theme decks? Playing once and again against the same deck match after match? Yes. But that's the way to learn to play because even the best deck can do near to nothing if you don't know how the entire game works: how to build a deck, what to include, what to play and what not in a turn, what deck is playing your opponent, how much Sycamore and Lysandre and Vs Seeker and UBs use to be or at least should be in a deck, when to don't play and pass the turn, what card can have the opponent that can destroy your deck plan...

The way to "test decks" is to make net research for lists and vids and real life tournament contests and see how decks works from people that makes the effort to get all the cards the first or think about a deck idea and shows it out there. Actually, is more than enough to see what direction the game goes to :)

• Upvote 4

• 4 years later...

On 11/20/2016 at 2:35 AM, Sakura150612 said:

Fourth, [disclaimer: obligatory 300 refference ahead, please skip over if you find it too cringy], THIS. IS. POKEMON. This is not a different TCGO. People continuously think that "but MTG does this" or "Yugioh does that" is a good basis for how pokemon should be. In short, no it's not. There's nothing wrong with taking the good things of other TCGs and incorporating them here, that much I can agree with. However, that is not a valid reason in and of itself to say that the PTCGO must be that way. In this particular suggestion I can't say there are reasons relating to the meta or anything that would be exclusive to the PTCGO that would make a testing/sandbox mode impossible to implement, so I could agree with it. That said, if it ever is implemented, it must be kept exclusively for use in friend battles and against the AI and exclusively for the purpose of playtesting before commiting to obtaining the cards for real and making a deck for VS and tournaments. There is a good reason for this; it'd be almost completely pointless to obtain cards, trade, open packs, or anything else if we could use whatever cards we wanted without having to obtain them, and if such a change were implemented it would wreck havoc in our community. Do keep in mind that this means you will still have to spend your resources (packs and tokens) in order to build up your collection and make decks you want to use for real in PvP, or as you would probably prefer to put it, "you'd still need to pay to win".

well I don't think changing PTCGO is the way to go. We could be easily satisfied if there was some other sort of online simulator such as EDO-Pro, so we can play AI and test decks. It's a different target, different objective. So no havoc. I guess the suggestion to limit it to ai or friend battles would also work.

21 minutes ago, ArtemisLL said:

well I don't think changing PTCGO is the way to go. We could be easily satisfied if there was some other sort of online simulator such as EDO-Pro, so we can play AI and test decks. It's a different target, different objective. So no havoc. I guess the suggestion to limit it to ai or friend battles would also work.

Bud, you're replying to a thread "4 years later". Look at the original post of this thread, the game was clearly different back then. 

23 minutes ago, ArtemisLL said:

so we can play AI and test decks.

You can play against an AI and there is a way to test your deck - it's literally called "test deck" via the Deck Manager screen.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finished my first class module since getting anki and am starting a new one. I made decks for both modules as sub-decks under an ALL deck. When I have been studying these past few days, I get all the cards from my first module first, then get questions from my newer module. I want them jumbled together. Can anyone help 

• Downvote 1