Best booster packs for PVP?

KaiLaSo

I am trying to form a deck that is able to win against players but always lose lol. My opponents are always using or spamming EX cards...

Currently , I am saving up coins so that I can buy 36 packs all at one go( hopefully get those ultra rare card).

Which booster pack should I get?

Hmm, if you're dead set on buying a full booster box's worth in packs, I think your best bet is Roaring Skies. I usually tell people that hunting for Shaymins this way is a waste of tokens, but if you're opening 36 packs your chances of finding it are at least decent. It's still very much a gamble however, so don't take it for granted.

The reason why I suggest this is because Shaymin EX is incredibly useful and you'll want to get 1 or 2 eventually anyways, and it's also stupid expensive xd with some luck someone can sell you one for 22 Roaring Skies (tradable) packs, and it can go for as high as 26-28 depending on who you get it from.

[btw, you probably know this already but I'm throwing the disclaimer anyways, you can't just buy 22 ROS packs from the token store and trade them for a Shaymin, because shop packs are tradelocked].

You might also get a few Rayquazas, which you could use on a M Ray deck, but sadly that deck isn't too efficient without a full playset of Shaymins.

I would really suggest that you use your tokens to buy promos (they are all good collectibles and every now and then they put useful stuff up as well, as was the case when Jirachi XY67 was available) and to participate in tournaments. Any tickets you earn in those you can spend on more tournaments and earn tradable packs, which you can trade to obtain cards you may need. If you're concerned about not having a decent tournament deck, just play Theme for now and spam Crushing Current xd Not the most fun thing ever, but I'll help you grind some much needed tradable packs to start building more competitive Standard/Expanded decks (and even Legacy if you really wanted to, although that may be a bit too expensive for a starting point).

Which promo card is good in the shop today? I am quite new to this game .

If I don't buy 36 packs on roaring sky (let's said maybe I buy 10 for that pack), which other booster pack do you recommend?

Is the evolution pack good? I like old school card but not sure if they are good for PvP. Since everyone is using or spamming EX or mega ex

Which promo card is good in the shop today?

At this point in time, none. The promos in the shop rotate from time to time and there usually aren't much more than 2-3 different promos available at once at any given time. You basically just have to wait and see. If by some miracle we get Jirachi XY67 in the shop again (lol yeah right), buy a playset instantly. Those things are incredibly expensive too, as well as very useful.

But to answer your question, right now there are no promos that have any value gameplay-wise.

If you want my opinion, since you are aiming for tradelocked packs, don't spend them all on one Set.

There are different Sets with extremely useful cards (none like Shaymin EX, but still) and especially Trainers which are the core of any deck you might want to build.

I would say you avoid Fates Collide and Evolutions (1st is a bad set in my opinion, second you can easily get from Tourneys and/or trades).

If I was to rate the Sets it would be:

Primal Clash 5/10 mediocre (some useful Trainers, some good EX cards, but that's all)

Roaring Skies 7/10 good (Shay EX, Ray-M Ray EX and useful Trainers)

Ancient Origins 8/10 very good (small Set, easy to pull strong EX cards)

BREAKthrough 9/10 extremely good (best Trainers, really strong and useful cards-not only EX)

BREAKpoint 6/10 decent (good Trainers, some great pulls but overall mediocre set)

Fates Collide 3/10 bad (handful of good cards overall)

Steam Siege 7/10 good (strong cards overall, mediocre Trainers)

Evolutions 5/10 mediocre (still to be determined)

Well that's all from me :)

Roaring Skies 7/10 good (Shay EX, Ray-M Ray EX and useful Trainers)

Ancient Origins 8/10 very good (small Set, easy to pull strong EX cards)

BREAKthrough 9/10 extremely good (best Trainers, really strong and useful cards-not only EX

these three and only these three.

Ancient origins has a lot of good cards, but i'd suggest opening it only later on since it has a lot of support cards but few cards that do well on their own.

Breakthrough and roaring skies are great starters.

I mean sure rayquaza isn't the biggest deck right now, but the chance of pulling shaymin (even though not that high) is totally worth it. Also, for your current elo, ray might not be such a bad start.

If you decide to open breakthrough, you're looking for xerneas (good attacker) octillery (draw support, although you can get it for fairly cheap due to the xerneas ex decks being released) zoroark (decent switch support), typhlosion, breakthrough yveltal and mega mewtwo y (along with shatter shot mewtwo-ex)

Since these ones are rares and not all exs, you have a higher rate of pulling them.

Hope this helps :)

Yesh, in agreement with AwesomeGuy and Rainbow.  I would like to add that Phantom Forces was probably a 9/10, but it has rotated... Sadly... and along with it, my Gengar & friends deck... :( I think AoR and RoS are your best bets, but BkT is also very good.

Yesh, in agreement with AwesomeGuy and Rainbow.  I would like to add that Phantom Forces was probably a 9/10, but it has rotated... Sadly... and along with it, my Gengar & friends deck... :( I think AoR and RoS are your best bets, but BkT is also very good.

I loved Phantom Forces.  The rotation did make it a lot less appealing, although at this point I'm more annoyed playing Standard.  Maybe Phantom Forces is still awesome, afterall.

I loved Phantom Forces.  The rotation did make it a lot less appealing, although at this point I'm more annoyed playing Standard.  Maybe Phantom Forces is still awesome, afterall.

Oh, it's still awesome. :) But the point was that you can't but it in the store anymore.

Phantom Forces is a 9/10 easily. I mean I rarely open one without getting at least 1 card that can pay me back that one pack :)

Vs Seeker, Night Marchers, Battle Compressor, AZ, Dimension Valley, Enhanced Hammer and even Xerosic, Robo Substitute. All those are not even rares!!

Phantom Forces is a 9/10 easily. I mean I rarely open one without getting at least 1 card that can pay me back that one pack :)

Vs Seeker, Night Marchers, Battle Compressor, AZ, Dimension Valley, Enhanced Hammer and even Xerosic, Robo Substitute. All those are not even rares!!

Phantom Forces dont seem to be there anymore

Phantom Forces dont seem to be there anymore

No, it's not.  As I said earlier, it rotated out of standard, and therefore cannot be purchased.

Other than Roaring skies to try to pull a ShayminEX, the best pack will always be the one that contains the cards you look for.

If you want Octillery or MMewtwoEX go for BTr, if you look for Greninja BREAK go for BPo, if you want a MSceptileEX deck go for AOr, Talonflame and Volcanion go for StS...

Other than that, I would spend the coins on Shop bundles and Theme decks. Theme decks will help you to get a lot of cards, mainly useful trainers but also some playable Pokémon sometimes (like Volcanion in Gears of fire or Greninja in Wave slasher). This is helpful specially when a set is released to get some of the new trainers very fast and also swell your collection.

Shop bundles are more focused to complete the collection. Most of the promo cards can only be gotten that way, but sometimes they add some awesome cards (like Jirachi XY67 or Lucario EX FA) that cost a lot of packs (around 60 and 9 at the time those bundles were released) and you can get with coins easily. In addition other limited edition deck boxes and sleeves are released in the shop sometimes (Gengar and other Halloween stuff was the last) so if you really want to catch'em all :P , keep around 1500-2000 coins always for unexpected interesting releases.

No, it's not.  As I said earlier, it rotated out of standard, and therefore cannot be purchased.

Hi I am new so I am not so sure. What do you mean by rotated out of standard?

It means you can't use cards from that set in the Standard Format. (the orange one.) You can still use them in Expanded, though.

The expansions that can be played in the standard format are based on rotations. These rotations happen periodically (once a year I think), and the way it works is that older expansions can no longer be played in Standard.

For example, the previous rotation included all expansions from XY1 (XY base set) onwards and all XY Black Star promo cards. The current rotation began on September 1st and includes all expansions from XY5 (Primal Clash) onwards and XY Black Star promo cards numbered XY36 or higher.

I don't know for sure who decides which sets stay in each rotation and what criteria they base themselves off, but it's most likely done with the purpose of keeping the meta fresh, since when a set rotates any cards that may have been dominant that belonged to a rotated set can no longer be used in Standard (unless they are reprinted in a future set).

The reason why you can no longer buy Phantom Forces packs in the token shop (which is set XY4), is because when there is a rotation, the token shop takes out all booster packs and theme decks that are not Standard. From time to time there are blisters and promos from older expansions, but they are usually one-time offers and not permanent.

Well, in my opinion, I think the best way to spend your coins is buying Pikachu Avatar boxes and trade them for cards you want with those companies on the In-Game Item Exchange section.

If Pokemon-EX are your problem, having some Carbink (Fates Collide 50) could help, along with maybe a couple of Audino EX (and Pokemon to fill up your bench) to help against anything with a Resistance to Fighting.

What's so great about Shaymin EX?  I have a couple (1 from Roaring Skies and 1 promo), but I'm not likely to use either one much.  The RS Shaymin is good for drawing (at least if you don't already have 6 or more cards in your hand), but its attack is bad if you don't have anything good (or at all) on your bench.  The promo is better because it's a healer; I might actually use this card, just not much.  Neither one has as much HP as most other Pokemon-EX.

Well, in my opinion, I think the best way to spend your coins is buying Pikachu Avatar boxes and trade them for cards you want with those companies on the In-Game Item Exchange section.

What is Pikachu Avatar box? Does it contain rare card or something?

No. It has a bit of clothing for your avatar (character portrait). The only reason it has value is that it is the only tradable item you can buy for tokens in the shop. It serves almost exclusively as currency.

These boxes are a source of a random set of... five? pieces of clothing from the Pikachu Collection, some of which are cool, some of which are ugly.  But to each his own. -------- In terms of value, they're worthless, but the companies accept them to help out new players who don't have packs (I think).  I disagree that they are worth your money, since TCs limit their usage.  You're better off with decks are R0S/BkT packs.

These boxes are a source of a random set of... five? pieces of clothing from the Pikachu Collection, some of which are cool, some of which are ugly.  But to each his own. -------- In terms of value, they're worthless, but the companies accept them to help out new players who don't have packs (I think).  I disagree that they are worth your money, since TCs limit their usage.  You're better off with decks are R0S/BkT packs.

Boxes are mostly used to fill out orders with akward numbers (like when you're 0.25 off the price), as well as to economize packs when you're a bit short in them. I have absolutely no idea what's done with them xd but they are worth a bit. Just don't blow all your tokens in them because they have limited uses (as in, don't buy like 100 freaking boxes because even if you technically you have 25 standard packs, you will at most be able to spend them in groups of 1/2).

What does it mean by companies accept them to help out players who don't have packs?

What does it mean by companies accept them to help out players who don't have packs?

I'm not too sure that's the original reason why Pikachu Boxes are accepted as payment, but it is true that if you're struggling to earn packs it helps to pay for low cost cards with boxes or to pad out a bit the cost of moderate value cards.

I really don't know why Pikachu boxes are taken and what TCs do with them.. You would need someone who actually works at a TC to answer this one for you. But regardless, this means that if you're ever only a few packs short of completing the price for an order, you can probably invest 200 or so tokens in boxes to get what you're missing. Again, just don't go spend thousands of tokens on boxes xd

Archived