New Trainer Challenge: A Review

theotherguytm

It's a bit late, but I have not been on the forums in a while.

So, overall, the new 'Extreme' difficulty is great. A challenge at last from our AI foes.

The option not being there to disable it, is not so great.

I have been desperately trying to win 12 games with the Furious Knights theme deck. Easily by a long way the strongest pre-EX era deck. The first 7 were easy, but the last 5 took forever, due to the new difficulty setting. I had to deck out 2 of my opponents, and only beat ZACH on the (9/10/I lost count)-th attempt.

So I am in favour of the new TC, but a selectable difficulty needs to come back. Simply make it so that you have to play on the highest unlocked difficulty with a new deck to get a star, which unlocks the next difficulty up as well as the rewards. Then you could drop the difficulty when you use an IRL theme deck, especially an older one.

P.S. I could provide as long list of faults with each of the AIs. Still far from perfect.

And the new difficulty setting was achieved by influencing the RNG. They do it in RTS, where the 'Brutal' or similar difficulty gets cheats enabled to allow it to meet a top-level standard.

Agreed. Removing the option to select difficulty does not bode well for newer players and/or very young players like my son that recently started playing PTCGO and is still working on reading comprehension (recently turned 6).

Forcing a much harder difficulty has caused him to lose much of the interest he had in the PTCGO - as he only played the Trainer Challenge.

I'm glad I finished the Trainer Challenge 100% back when Plasma Freeze was the latest set.

Aren't the Gold trainers easier than the City ones? Assuming a person has managed to beat all of them in all three, is there a benefit, other than the challenge of doing it, to playing the City Championship rather than the Gold or Platinum?

I had had the City a bit more than half done when the change happened (2 or 3 stars on each). Yes, some of them were hard using the HS theme decks.

Agreed. Removing the option to select difficulty does not bode well for newer players and/or very young players like my son that recently started playing PTCGO and is still working on reading comprehension (recently turned 6).

Forcing a much harder difficulty has caused him to lose much of the interest he had in the PTCGO - as he only played the Trainer Challenge.

I'm glad I finished the Trainer Challenge 100% back when Plasma Freeze was the latest set.

See devs? YOUR UPDATE ALIENATES CHILDREN!! (Joking)

A bit extreme, but this is an example. And besides, think about the newbs who finish the TC with 4 stars, then buy more theme decks. Toasted like a slice of bread bread with a Charizard.

Aren't the Gold trainers easier than the City ones? Assuming a person has managed to beat all of them in all three, is there a benefit, other than the challenge of doing it, to playing the City Championship rather than the Gold or Platinum?

I had had the City a bit more than half done when the change happened (2 or 3 stars on each). Yes, some of them were hard using the HS theme decks.

Not sure about this. Some of the trainers in the CC are new, and they are about as strong as the AI gets. Whether "Mick" CC is tougher than "Mick" Gold 2, I'm not sure.

Thanks for replying though! This is something which would not be hard to implement. And just forcing you to beat the newest difficulty to get the next star should not be too hard.

Alternately, have selectable difficulty only on Trainers where you have 4 stars if you prefer.

Not sure about this. Some of the trainers in the CC are new, and they are about as strong as the AI gets. Whether "Mick" CC is tougher than "Mick" Gold 2, I'm not sure.

Thanks for replying though! This is something which would not be hard to implement. And just forcing you to beat the newest difficulty to get the next star should not be too hard.

Alternately, have selectable difficulty only on Trainers where you have 4 stars if you prefer.

As far as I can tell, the AI is identical in all leagues, but the decks are slightly better in higher ones.

Archived