I saw some people complaining about good decks or not having good cards etc when starting beta

rsteubetest

I apologize if this was posted all ready. I haven't kept tabs in the past few weeks or so.

I took it upon my self to see what it would be like for someone to just start an account from scratch and try out open beta with no cards. I played through all the trainer challenge to unlock all decks. I have 4 decks unlocked, red, blue, green and the free yellow just for signing up. And I have to tell you. You can get a pretty decent deck from these cards. They give you some decent trainers, decent pokes. And a nice variety.

I have a preference to potpourri style decks anyways. I like being prepared for any style of deck I faces. Utilizing the opponents weakness to hit for double what my poke could normally do.

So it came to a bit of fire, lightning, and water pokes. I have to say... It was a pretty good deck. Won most of my online fights. Gave a lot of people with CRAZY GOOD DECKS ( you know, the ones with 2500-4000 cards) a run for their money and even beat them a few times due to slow hands on their behalf.

So Im not sure what I have read in the past. You can get a decent deck to have fun with without spending a cent or spending crazy time try to trade online and get people to give you what they want.

Meh!

You can do ok with a fire electric set-up, the problem is that is the only set-up that really is viable from the free decks. And I'm bored of playing with that deck. Others are likely bored with seeing that deck used by their opponents.

More free theme decks is a good idea. More free = everybody wins.

You can ***** with a fire electric set-up, the problem is that is the only set-up that really is viable from the free decks. And I'm bored of playing with that deck. Others are likely bored with seeing that deck used by their opponents.

Exactly, free players obviously would like free cards, those willing to pay but not continiously are persuaded to pay (if it means speeding up progress but never lose it, that's a much better persuasion than "even with your payment you will stay behind forever, unless you continiously pay"), and those willing to even continiously pay don't face free decks all the time. As long as money still nets you cards fast enough to make paying worthwhile, everyone wins indeed.

You can ***** with a fire electric set-up, the problem is that is the only set-up that really is viable from the free decks. And I'm bored of playing with that deck. Others are likely bored with seeing that deck used by their opponents.

That's funny. I've been playing a Water/Electric (Bench Sniper pretty much) but I found it difficult to win against the fire/electric so I made one and started using it. I win a considerable amount more now than I did then, but it is boring to use for me and definitely boring to be matched up against.

To the OP I'm gonna guess you didn't play against any stacked legendary decks, no cost stall tyrogue/cleffa/yanmega decks, Lost Zone decks, Donphan Prime 1 turn set up, Resh/Emboar, etc, etc, etc. There are a lot of decks that even in the hands of a novice can still be devestating and in the hands of an advanced user can be suicide to play against. None of the cards you get for free will make that kind of deck, there just isn't much synergy.

Anyone can beat someone due to slow hands and competition for most isn't about giving people "runs for their money" it's about winning.

You didn't read my post thoroughly then.

I said I won most of my matches. Therefore = Winning

I also said that I would win against stacked decks, with primes and legendaries. However, this was not as much of course, due to lack of powerful cards. But in general They weren't wiping the floor(i.e. giving them a run for their money) with me due to these "BASIC DECKS".

People just complained a lot when open started about deck discrepancies. I thought I would do a little research in whether it was possible to create a basic deck and be semi competitive with those cards. And it appears you can be. And of course no you cannot be MASTER OF ALL without buying any cards. That is just silly to think you could and no where in my post did misconstrue this information.

Someone here is trying to give a little perspective.

Biggest problem with the basic decks imo is that there is no strong first stage pokemon. When your opponent throws in a stage 1 pokemon that can do as much damage as your stage 3 pokemon and has 100+ hp. It's gonna take you several turns and pokemon to knock that one out (unless your opponent ofc switches it out before you can) and at that point he has already evolved something sick on the bench.

Not to mention the great trainer cards that are not available in the free decks (Pokemon Catcher, Junk Arm, Pokemon Communication etc.) that they can use to fetch basically any cards they want from their decks or mess up your game by knocking out pokemon you're trying to build up on your bench (since it actually takes 3 turns for us to get a strong pokemon). Yeah I've beat several opponents with the cards mentioned but if they play it smart and don't get totally bad cards at start they are definately gonna win.

"Pokemon Catcher, Junk Arm, Pokemon Communication etc.) "

yes but they have things that work in the same fasion.

Professor elm insteaed of communication

Dual ball/pokeball instead of pokemon catcher.

just played another 4 games.

Only 1 was using a basic yellow deck.

one was tornadus, zekrom, amphor primes

one was beartics + zekroms

Damn can't remember what the first one I played against was shoot. Oh well. All I know it wasn't a basic deck and had multiple legends etc.

Won all 4.

So All I am saying is that you can make a decent deck from basic cards. No one should complain about being overwhelmed by other players continuously. They have a shot of actually beating people and have some fun doing it.

You didn't read my post thoroughly then.

I said I won most of my matches. Therefore = Winning

I also said that I would win against stacked decks, with primes and legendaries. However, this was not as much of course, due to lack of powerful cards. But in general They weren't wiping the floor(i.e. giving them a run for their money) with me due to these "BASIC DECKS".

People just complained a lot when open started about deck discrepancies. I thought I would do a little research in whether it was possible to create a basic deck and be semi competitive with those cards. And it appears you can be. And of course no you cannot be MASTER OF ALL without buying any cards. That is just silly to think you could and no where in my post did misconstrue this information.

Someone here is trying to give a little perspective.

I read it thoroughly. My eyes are fine and my grammer are goodz.

Most is a relative term. 11 out of 20 is most. 19 out of 20 is most too.

Depends on the person's definition of "semi-competitive".

No one is trying to be MASTER OF ALL. It's understood that they are a company and the purpose of a company is to make money. To be "fair" the very least they could do is set the match maker to keep more of the paid "Uber decks" from free decks.

You can hardly call this research.

just played another 4 games.

Only 1 was using a basic yellow deck.

one was tornadus, zekrom, amphor primes

one was beartics + zekroms

**** can't remember what the first one I played against was shoot. Oh well. All I know it wasn't a basic deck and had multiple legends etc.

Won all 4.

So All I am saying is that you can make a decent deck from basic cards. No one should complain about being overwhelmed by other players continuously. They have a shot of actually beating people and have some fun doing it.

If you're trying to give a decent perspective, 4 games, before the majority of the player base is awake, is not a good example.

Even if you had a control group, anything under 20 (Absolute minimum) is not a decent sample.

Uncontrolled, observational experiments require a larger sample to be valid. (In this case 50-100)

I'm not saying you can't make a decent deck, my issue now is with your opinion based off shoddy "research". Truly though I don't think you're trying to make a point. Sounds more like you're just trying to toot your own horn by saying how awesome you are for being able to own with inferior decks.

Some of these decks aren't being played to their full potential and/or are getting bad spreads. Either that or like you said (in more or less words) you're just Jesus good at Pokemon and get good spreads.

Take the Zek for example.

They play a poke that lets you attach 2 energy to it (self-generation poke-power or something similar), Shaymin down with Celebration Wind (or something similar), move energy to Zek, attach normal energy. First turn set up, Wreck. Interviewer's Questions/Pokemon Collector/Comm make it THAT much more possible. The max amt of turns I've seen a Zek user set up in was 3. 1 energy each turn and even then you have nothing at that point that can stand up to 120 unless you happened to get a Basic/Stage1 and 2 within the first 3 turns and managed to give it energy each of those turns. All the while he's amassing more powerhouses on the bench.

Forgive me if I find your 4-0 w/l hard to swallow.

I completely agree with you db... match making that took into account the free decks would be nice. It's silly to say that the decks you build from the free decks available are somehow able to compete with the "uber" decks. It's simply not true. Sure you can make some fun decks to smash the AI around with, but when you come up against any semi-competent player with a paid deck you will lose unless they get a bad spread.

I think they should solve this problem like this: - In ranked give f2p players priority to get matched with f2p players and vice versa or better yet make 2 ladders a f2p one and regular one. This would make the f2p competitive possible(as funny as it sounds) and on the regular anyone can join, even f2p(but they know the risks so they cant complain about zecks or reshis). Naturally as the competitive is i think getting dominated slowly by reshis and zecks and a few others so would the f2p get by fire/lightning and the occasional grass/water(but then again that's more or less the only thing they can make).

I've played roughly 30-40 games with these decks. and I have won 75% of the matches. That is ****** share. Again, I will not win against great decks with good starting hands. Of course that is just impossible unless played by an inferior player.

**** DUDE. I saw several people complaining about having **** cards, and mentioned that it is possible to put together a decent deck. And you want to rip it apart for what reason? Your own self benefit to be self righteous? Who the F are you ? Pretty Lame if you ask me. All I am doing is giving hope for those people who do not want to play and you question sample sizes for scientific methods. Silly. I've played close to 40 games with these cards. For most people that would utilize a FREE DECk and not delve into the game and spend boat loads of cash, this would be sufficient.

However, those people who would play that little and utilize the free cards without purchasing virtual cards would probably be those who probably do not understand the mechanics of the game to the utmost and would be at a disadvantage with even the best of decks anyways. THey just don't have the knowledge of how a certain deck is played and what to do to stop said decks.

Just freakin be happy someone out there is trying to let others know that you can still have fun without paying and probably win some matches. Even people with a 50/50 win loss ratio would probably be happy to be able to play, have some win, and win every now and then..... maybe reconnect with some old memories of playing in the past with the new ramped up version of todays online game.

But Meh. Whatever. Get on your high horse with your uber cards and don't try to even help out the other people.

I've played roughly 30-40 games with these decks. and I have won 75% of the matches. That is ****** share. Again, I will not win against great decks with good starting hands. Of course that is just impossible unless played by an inferior player.

**** DUDE. I saw several people complaining about having **** cards, and mentioned that it is possible to put together a decent deck. And you want to rip it apart for what reason? Your own self benefit to be self righteous? Who the F are you ? Pretty Lame if you ask me. All I am doing is giving hope for those people who do not want to play and you question sample sizes for scientific methods. Silly. I've played close to 40 games with these cards. For most people that would utilize a FREE DECk and not delve into the game and spend boat loads of cash, this would be sufficient.

However, those people who would play that little and utilize the free cards without purchasing virtual cards would probably be those who probably do not understand the mechanics of the game to the utmost and would be at a disadvantage with even the best of decks anyways. THey just don't have the knowledge of how a certain deck is played and what to do to stop said decks.

Just freakin be happy someone out there is trying to let others know that you can still have fun without paying and probably win some matches. Even people with a 50/50 win loss ratio would probably be happy to be able to play, have some win, and win every now and then..... maybe reconnect with some old memories of playing in the past with the new ramped up version of todays online game.

But Meh. Whatever. Get on your high horse with your uber cards and don't try to even help out the other people.

Ad hom will get you nowhere. Anyway...

I've posted a deck I've used to some success in another thread and acknowledged that it's possible to win with the free cards. I was even thinking of making a threat list for the metagame and posting free deck counters to strats.

How is wanting people to be informed self righteous? Your baseless assumptions and projections help no one.

I don't know if you're aware of the current state of the US economy but I would venture to say that lack of funds would be a bigger reason someone wouldn't pay for cards, not their lack of knowledge of game mechanics.

Even when I do buy another deck I'm not gonna want to play against people flailing miserably to defeat me. If this is about having "fun" and being "fair" then more counters to frequent cards in the metagame would be appreciated. They don't have to be fantastic, they just need to be "decent".

No one needs to be informed of the possibility to win and as far as fun is concerned your definitions may vary.

I don't use uber cards >.>

More facts, less baseless conjecture.

I tend to play Devil's Advocate, but it isn't with the intention of trolling. In this case it's to prevent the spread of misinformation. If you had presented valid points or facts I would have conceded and left it at that, but your posts are filled predominantly with opinion and assumptions.

Archived