Multiple Pidgeot "Mirror Move" bug

ZoeNLei

After Mega Envolve Pidgeot Ex with "Shrine of memory" in play, Mirror Move not working against multiple opponents:

e.g. Raychu:  Circle Circuit

M Alakazam Ex: Zen Force (maybe this is by design)

This is not a bug.  Evolving Pidgeot EX into Mega Pidgeot EX makes it a new Pokemon.  And since Mega Pidgeot EX did not take any damage during the opponent's previous turn, Mirror Move won't do any damage.

If what Gray says is correct, Shrine'd mirror move should work on any turn other than the same one it evolved on. OP, do you recall this happening in other turns or are you only unable to use mirror move when attempting to use it during the same turn you evolved?

This question was asked on pokegym.
Q: Hey there. Was wondering what should occur when using Pidgeot-EX (EVO 64)'s "Mirror Move" after evolving into MPidgeot-EX (EVO 65) with the spirit link attached (via a card like Shrine of Memories). Would the damage done to Pidgeot-EX carry over to the evolution?

A: 
No. When you evolve a Pokemon, it is no longer the same Pokemon.

This sounds like a bug to me. Mirror move says "THIS pokemon..." it doesn't reference it by name. There are moves that say "this pokemon" and there are moves that reference the pokemon specifically by name and its with the latter that the pokemon is to only be that pokemon... right? 

And if this ISNT a bug it makes pidgeot m/ex line even weaker than it already is, lol. 

Here's the thing. I haven't played with Pidgeot EX so I wouldn't know, but my guess is that things happen in the following order:

1) Pidgeot EX takes damage.

2) A green "up" arrow appears in the upper left side corner of the card. This arrow indicates that one or more of Pidgeot's attacks now do more damage. Green and red arrows indicate temporal effects, which may include attack buffs, attack debuffs, retreat locks, inmunities, and many others. The rules of the game state that when a pokemon evolves or goes to the bench ALL temporal effects are removed.

3) Pidgeot EX evolves, thus removing the green arrow.

4) M Pidgeot EX doesn't have the green arrow anymore, thus the damage from Mirror Move is no longer buffed.

Note that the same thing happens to all other effects. Once you evolve the effect resolves. Some effects can reapply after evolving but that depends on how the game checks the condition for applying the effect. For example:

You are playing Night March with Pumpkaboo's evolution (Gourgiest) and Shrine of Memories.

1. You discard NM cards via battle compressor. A green arrow appears indicating the damage buff.
  2. You evolve Pumpkaboo. The effect resolves and you lose the green arrow.
  3. The game realizes you have a Shrine of Memories, so it checks the effect of Night March.
  4. The game realizes you have NM cards in your discard, so it reapplies the buff and you instantly get your green arrow back.

You are playing OP's scenario:

1. Your Pidgeot takes damage. You get a green arrow.
  2. You evolve. You lose the green arrow.
  3. The game checks the effect of mirror move.
  4. Your M Pidgeot EX has not taken damage in the last turn. Your Pidgeot did, but you already lost that arrow.

Not sure if the explanation is too rambly, but that's the reason.

If what Gray says is correct, Shrine'd mirror move should work on any turn other than the same one it evolved on. OP, do you recall this happening in other turns or are you only unable to use mirror move when attempting to use it during the same turn you evolved?

It happens on other turns (mega involved in previous turn) with:

1. MewTwo EX's damage exchange (I think this is expected behavior, since such damage not caused by attack)

2. Any move/ability that says "put damage", e.g. Trevenant's Silent Fear (I think this is also expected)

So overall Pidgeot Ex's Mirror move is just much weaker than expected ....

It happens on other turns (mega involved in previous turn) with:

1. MewTwo EX's damage exchange (I think this is expected behavior, since such damage not caused by attack)

2. Any move/ability that says "put damage", e.g. Trevenant's Silent Fear (I think this is also expected)

So overall Pidgeot Ex's Mirror move is just much weaker than expected ....

Yeah it's just a weaker attack than it seems at first, but it's working properly. You can't return damage from effects that place damage counters so that's intended.

Archived