Jellicent's useless Ability

Venohawk

I've used a Jellicent (Plasma Storm #39) several times, and it's been Knocked Out quite a bit as my Active Pokemon by attacks from my opponent's Pokemon.  The Pokemon that have defeated it should have ended up Confused and Poisoned, but that hasn't happened so far, even though Jellicent was defeated by damage from an actual attack, which should activate the ability.

Anyone else encounter this?

Are you certain that:

1) There was no ability blocking in play, such as from Garbodor or Greninja

2) Your opponent wasn't inmune to some or all status effect (Chaos Tower blocks some status; in expanded Virizon EX is quite common, which blocks all status; Raticate with Antibodies is inmune to status, etc.)

3) Abilities aren't blocked but your target was inmune to ability effects (any pokemon with AT Theta Stop)

If your ability wasn't invalidated and your opponent wasn't inmune, this is a bug.

I don't remember all situations in which the Ability didn't activate, but I'm sure there was at least one time when Jellicent had been Knocked Out be something no worse (in terms of overall effects) than something like: Charizard EX (Flashfire) as opposing Pokemon, Muscle Band as its Pokemon Tool, and Scorched Earth as the Stadium card.  Benched Pokemon might be along the lines of Keldeo EX (black star promo) and Camerupt (Breakpoint).

I might have to use it again and make note of the setup to see if I'm just not noticing something.

Yep, pretty sure it's a bug.  Just completed a game in which Jellicent was my Active Pokemon at one point.  Fisherman, Dive Ball, and Pokemon Fan Club were the only Trainer Cards played, and the only Abilities on Pokemon in play involve switching Pokemon (Genesect EX, Manaphy EX, and Keldeo EX).  Jellicent was Knocked Out by Zapdos' Raging Thunder attack.

If that's the case then it's probably a bug. Under those circumstances it should have worked. You need to save a game log in a game where this happens and send it via support ticket as an attachment. Game logs help the staff to find the source of the bug and eventually patch it.

Archived