Competitive Theme Deck Tier List 11/2016

Oldschool1990

This is an analysis of the Theme Deck Format, dated November 7th 2016.

The purpose of this tread is listing up all currently meta-relevant theme decks in a Tier list that represents the decks power and amount of play the decks see in tournaments.

For this, only decks relevant to the tournament metagame have an impact on the meta will be counted. Meanwhile there might be some playable decks from older generations around, those see very limited play due to not beeing aviable to the majority of players, and thus having no impact on the actuall theme deck format metagame at all.

Tier 0:

-Crushing Currents (new): aggressive deck// the new basic yellow quickly became the most played deck to it's super fast setup and extremely strong attack power early in the game. It can just overrun every other deck and chainsweep the opponents side of the board in no time.

Tier 0.5:

-XY Basic Blue: strategic deck// still quite popular, but the usage has dropped in favor of Crushing Currents. Besides that, it's still a very powerful top-tier deck. Just not as strong as Crushing Currents.

-Ring of Lightning: strategic deck// hardcounters Crushing Currents, XY Basic Blue and other top-tier decks due to Galvantula hitting their bench with weakness beeing applied, sees quite some amount of play due to bench-shenanigans.

Tier 1:

-XY Basic Green: defensive deck// sees less play recently, due to getting overrun by Crushing Currents. Still able to stall and wreck other decks just fine.

-Dark Hammer: aggressive deck// sees more play recently due to the fighting types beeing able to deal with Crushing Current.

-Mental Might: defensive deck// always sees some play and still keeps it's power level due to immense card draw, paralysis flips and healing cards.

-Gears of Fire: strategic deck// also sees more play recently due to it's fast energy setup, decent trainerpool and strong lategame potential.

-Hidden Depths: strategic deck// sees some play and is actually quite strong due to Dewgong Permalock aswell as good aggressive and defensive potential with traps, tricks, healing and good sweepers.

Tier 1.5:

-Battle Ruler: aggressive deck// currently sees less play due to beeing to dependent on 2-3 main sweepers and having no real backup-plan when dealing with Crushing Currents.

-Sky Guardian: defensive deck// currently sees less play, it takes some time to ramp up the sweepers with energy, and Crushing Currents just rolls over it in a split-second.

-Night Striker: strategic deck// medium strength, but it sees more play due to beeing featured in the shop.

-Iron Tide: defensive deck// less played but nontheless still strong enough to compete with top-tier decks.

-Mewtwo Mayhem: defensive deck// medium strenght, but it sees some play due to the Mewtwo and it deals with aggressive decks quite well.

Tier 2 and below:

-the rest: // not of relevance for competitive play.

well written, i hadn't ever tried ring of lightning, but after a few battles, i feel it definitely is a deck worth using. Its unique capabilities to mill, sweep and even snipe are great. Just wish it had another ultra ball or two

• 3 weeks later...

How to get some of the theme deck? Like dark hammer ? It doent seem to be in the shop

If it isn't in the shop, you can't get it.

Well, unless it's one you can buy in a store and it includes a code.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add a few other decks I like:

XY Basic Red: While inconsistent at times, especially because you rely on Poké Ball to set up, the combination of Delphox and Blacksmith means that, under the right circumstances, this deck can turns the tables against anything.  

Born Of Fire: Definitely the weakest of the three new starter Decks, but it's still no joke. Moltres, Arcanine, Rapidash and Ninetails are great attackers, and Steven+Lysandre+Vs Seeker means than no Pokemon is safe.

Aurora Blast/Storm Rider: As water/lightning decks, they are hopelessly outclassed by the new starter decks, but if they manage to set up the dragon of the deck, Salamence/Dragonite, something facilitated by DDE and Wally, you are in big trouble.

Resilent Life: Incredibly unreliable, but Xerneas, Aromatisse, and Fairy Garden can make it both fast and hard to take down if your deck lacks a card that can hit the bench.

The are probably a few BW era decks that maybe could be useful, but I can't test them, the ones I always hated were the Reshiram and Zekrom decks from Next Destinies, but it's been a while since I last saw them.

On the other hand the HGSS era decks are just bad, the power creep made them useless.

I would like to add a few other decks I like:

XY Basic Red: While inconsistent at times, especially because you rely on Poké Ball to set up, the combination of Delphox and Blacksmith means that, under the right circumstances, this deck can turns the tables against anything.  

Born Of Fire: Definitely the weakest of the three new starter Decks, but it's still no joke. Moltres, Arcanine, Rapidash and Ninetails are great attackers, and Steven+Lysandre+Vs Seeker means than no Pokemon is safe.

Aurora Blast/Storm Rider: As water/lightning decks, they are hopelessly outclassed by the new starter decks, but if they manage to set up the dragon of the deck, Salamence/Dragonite, something facilitated by DDE and Wally, you are in big trouble.

Resilent Life: Incredibly unreliable, but Xerneas, Aromatisse, and Fairy Garden can make it both fast and hard to take down if your deck lacks a card that can hit the bench.

The are probably a few BW era decks that maybe could be useful, but I can't test them, the ones I always hated were the Reshiram and Zekrom decks from Next Destinies, but it's been a while since I last saw them.

On the other hand the HGSS era decks are just bad, the power creep made them useless.

Born of Fire auto loses to Hidden Depths due to N and Weakness. It also does not run VS Seeker. Nothing that runs Steven can be forgiven. Except Basic Red. I do love Delphox.

This is a thread of the competitive decks, not of all the decks. The Dragons get smashed by Crushing Current and the other decks he mentioned.

Archived