I am really tired of crushing current.

ReverseJolteon

Hello, i had to write this, because it has become something truly frustrating.
in the beginning it was fun and even lighting is my favourite type, but after a few weeks it became a nightmare. i can even see this deck on my dreams. playing theme is 90% playing against crushing current.

The reign of terror of crushing current is endless. everyone on theme format use this deck, unless he/she is doing a daily challenge. all theme tournaments are mirror matches of this deck, or fighting decks trying to counter it.

That deck is broken and i'll list the reasons:

-no stage 2 = super fast deck

-the damage of raichu and zapdos is absurd and you can charge them up with electrode.

-the best pokemon just use 2 or 3 energy cards = even faster.

-zapdos can one-shot almost anything and the decks who can stop him, are slower than this deck.

-the combination of lighting and birds results in not having weaknesses. (zapdos and fearrow can handle fighting decks, so you can use either the birds or the lighting pokemon depending the match.)

I really think that deck should be balanced, or maybe i'm the only one who is tired of it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, i had to write this, because it has become something truly frustrating.

in the beginning it was fun and even lighting is my favourite type, but after a few weeks it became a nightmare. i can even see this deck on my dreams. playing theme is 90% playing against crushing current.

The reign of terror of crushing current is endless. everyone on theme format use this deck, unless he/she is doing a daily challenge. all theme tournaments are mirror matches of this deck, or fighting decks trying to counter it.

That deck is broken and i'll list the reasons:

-no stage 2 = super fast deck

-the damage of raichu and zapdos is absurd and you can charge them up with electrode.

-the best pokemon just use 2 or 3 energy cards = even faster.

-zapdos can one-shot almost anything and the decks who can stop him, are slower than this deck.

-the combination of lighting and birds results in not having weaknesses. (zapdos and fearrow can handle fighting decks, so you can use either the birds or the lighting pokemon depending the match.)

I really think that deck should be balanced, or maybe i'm the only one who is tired of it.

Have you ever heard of XY Basic Green?

It's a great farming tool. Totally not complaining :)

Yes, i've been farming with it a lot, but now, i'm really done, it's bored play it over and over again just to win some tokens and versus points.

Have you ever heard of XY Basic Green?

yes, it's a great deck, but it depends on stage 2, so is no that fast, with basic green you need time to set up, crushing current can destroy you en 3 turns with a lot of combinations. and in the late game, raichu can one-shot anything with full bench. and of course, basic green has nothing to do with a good first hand of any fire deck.

Yes, i've been farming with it a lot, but now, i'm really done, it's bored play it over and over again just to win some tokens and versus points.

yes, it's a great deck, but it depends on stage 2, so is no that fast, with basic green you need time to set up, crushing current can destroy you en 3 turns with a lot of combinations. and in the late game, raichu can one-shot anything with full bench. and of course, basic green has nothing to do with a good first hand of any fire deck.

Simisage is your friend.

I do have to agree crushing current is a little too good and it might need sone tuning.

I would usually say that complaints on balance issues are pretty pointless, but in this case it might actually be considered. There already exist precedents of basic decks being nerfed (like when AT Articuno was removed from Basic Blue), so it's possible that they could give a nerf to crushing current along the same lines.

Okay, I thought it was just me.  I was playing with Crushing Current to finish a few trainers and it was a joke.  It really is an effective theme deck.

Crushing current makes about 50% of the theme deck metagame. Before the changes, XY basic blue and basic green atleast shared that 50% overusage, now only 1 deck kind of dominates the tier.

I play alot of theme tournaments, so yeah, most of the decks I encounter are Crushing current.
I usually win against those, because I got versed with the direct counterdeck.

Crushing current doesn't really take alot of skill to master, so even bad or inexperienced players can win something with this deck.

The Double Colorless Energy are way to fast in combination with that pokes.
It's basically turn2 Kangaskhan 100 damage in the face. Or even turn2 Raichu 160 damage in the face.

And yeah, no phase2 in this deck makes it bonkers fast. Basically every poke except Zapdos can evolve so it has 0 trash pokes that could ruin your game.

Let's call it imbalanced and broken, shall we?

Fact is, the deck needs a nerf.
My suggestion would be taking out all the Double Colorless Energy aswell as the Lucky Helmets.

Crushing current makes about 50% of the theme deck metagame. Before the changes, XY basic blue and basic green atleast shared that 50% overusage, now only 1 deck kind of dominates the tier.

I play alot of theme tournaments, so yeah, most of the decks I encounter are Crushing current.

Crushing current doesn't really take alot of skill to master, so even bad or inexperienced players can win something with this deck.

My suggestion would be taking out all the Double Colorless Energy aswell as the Lucky Helmets.

It's basically turn2 Kangaskhan 100 damage in the face. Or even turn2 Raichu 160 damage in the face.

this pretty much sums it up.

Most decks can't land a ko till turn 3 at the earliest and by then crushing current usually sets up either a zapdos, an electrode (a zapdos powerbank) or a raichu.

Let's face it, that deck has way too many options, and whether you choose to try and outspeed them (they usually win that race for obvious reasons) or if you try and stall them (most decks can land at most 2 revenge kills, but with crushing current you can max out at maybe 4 revenge kills? (easily set up revenge kills i mean) at which point even the lysandres and greninjas can't do a thing

crushing current is currently crushing it. 

EDIT: Glad I stopped playing theme right as it hit because when I read the deck list I knew it'd be the new XY green. It even has lucky helmets just like green. 

And yeah, no phase2 in this deck makes it bonkers fast. Basically every poke except Zapdos can evolve so it has 0 trash pokes that could ruin your game.

i was thinking the same nerf for this deck, and i want to add another one, changing the ultra balls for great balls would stop raichu and zapdos to be on play so fast.

I mean, i really think this deck needs a nerf.

i was thinking the same nerf for this deck, and i want to add another one, changing the ultra balls for great balls would stop raichu and zapdos to be on play so fast.

I mean, i really think this deck needs a nerf.

That sounds like a reasonable nerf. It would remove some of the consistency of the deck without hurting it too much.

I'm going to be the lone voice here and say I don't think it is that OP. Is it the best theme deck? Yes. Is it so much better than the next best that it is unbeatable? No, definitely not. I win plenty against it using a different deck, definitely over a 50% win rate.

I'm not saying that I am I against nerfing it a little, but I just think people are exaggerating how unbeatable it is. Taking out the DCEs seems like a fair change.

I do hate though how bad most theme decks are. I mean, I know they are not "competitive decks" so won't be anything like a custom deck, but why can't they all be as good as each other? There are so many theme decks and the variety out there would be really fun, but sadly less than 10 of them are at all playable (Crushing Current and the latest Basic Red and Blue, the Steam Siege decks, basic Green and to a lesser extent, the previous basic XY Red and Blue).

Before the newest three theme decks you could get away with Dark Hammer, Battle Ruler and at least have a prayer with some of the others. But now they can't really hang anymore unless you get a great start and your opponent gets stuck.

I'm going to be the lone voice here and say I don't think it is that OP. Is it the best theme deck? Yes. Is it so much better than the next best that it is unbeatable? No, definitely not. I win plenty against it using a different deck, definitely over a 50% win rate.

I'm not saying that I am I against nerfing it a little, but I just think people are exaggerating how unbeatable it is. Taking out the DCEs seems like a fair change.

I do hate though how bad most theme decks are. I mean, I know they are not "competitive decks" so won't be anything like a custom deck, but why can't they all be as good as each other? There are so many theme decks and the variety out there would be really fun, but sadly less than 10 of them are at all playable (Crushing Current and the latest Basic Red and Blue, the Steam Siege decks, basic Green and to a lesser extent, the previous basic XY Red and Blue).

Before the newest three theme decks you could get away with Dark Hammer, Battle Ruler and at least have a prayer with some of the others. But now they can't really hang anymore unless you get a great start and your opponent gets stuck.

The problem with non TCGO-exclusive decks is that they can be neither nerfed nor buffed, and for whatever reason whoever is designing them insists on adding a bunch of incomplete evolutions, not even a single stadium and generally throw in cards that have zero synergy.

Some people do exaggerate how OP crushing current is but it does need to be toned down a bit.

Just use Basic Orange to counter it. I have faced Crushing Current over 30 times with it, and have yet to lose against it.  Basic Orange's 240 HP Conkeldurr and Gigalith are too OP for it to overcome. Throh and Mienshao easily keep the speed up as Conkeldurr and/or Boldore/Gigalith are getting set up.

It doesn't have the same problems as other fighting decks, which can't even touch Zapdos at all. No, Crushing Current is not #1, as it can't beat Zekrom's or Basic Orange, thereby tying it with Basic Orange with the number of deck weaknesses.  Basic Orange beats it head to head, so Crushing Current thereby is ranked 4th.  

1) XY Blue

2) XY Green

3) Basic Orange

4) Crushing Current

5) Psy Crusher

We basically went from Blue and Green dominating theme deck mode, to Basic Orange and Crushing Current dominating it lol.

The only people who really struggle against the deck are the ones who do not have access to the older decks. 

Hm, just figured, even without the double colorless energies the deck will till be able to do the turn2 raichu.

I just think they need to reconcept the entire deck.

Even if you would take out the Raichus, there is still Kangaskhan, Electrode into Zapdos and insane card draw.

Sure, it's beatable, but that doesn't change the fact that this decks power level is above 9000.

Devs, where are you when we need you?

The only people who really struggle against the deck are the ones who do not have access to the older decks. 

So, the new players have no chance and is it ok?

The deck is super fast, so many times i've lost in the 3rd turn, not my 3rd turn, the general 3rd turn...

1) pikachu+DC energy+lucky helmet+winona+more pokemon on the bench

2) i charge up my pokemon with 1 energy and use some trainer.

3) ultra ball+raichu = win

you can't follow that speed.

and the other tactic, zapdos 1rst active+3 turns = win (only simisage or a super first hand can stop it)

i think is not a good format having always the same deck, and before it appears, it wasn't basic blue and basic green only, before crushing current the variety of decks was much larger.

and when i play theme 1 of 20 is not crushing current...so i think it would be better for the format to nerf it a little, new people can't even do daily challenges because they lose the game before do anything.

Funny how it's always the TCGO exclusive theme decks that are broken eh?

Not really. The "real life" theme decks are "broken" in the sense that most of them are unplayable. I rather have something be a little too powerful than literally filled with useless cards.

3× Drilbur Fighting Common

1× Excadrill Fighting Rare

3× Mienfoo Fighting Common

2× Mienshao Fighting Uncommon

3× Roggenrola Fighting Common

2× Boldore Fighting Uncommon

1× Gigalith Fighting Rare

2× Throh Fighting Rare

4× Timburr Fighting Common

3× Gurdurr Fighting Uncommon

2× Conkeldurr Fighting Rare Holo

2× Energy Search I Common

2× Giant Cape I Uncommon

2× Heavy Ball I Uncommon

2× Pokédex I Uncommon

2× Pokémon Catcher I Uncommon

2× Switch I Common

2× Cheren Su Uncommon

2× N Su Uncommon

18× Fighting Energy Fighting E —

i have here the basic orange decklist (as given off wikipedia)

Let's face it, the deck was a joke a year ago and it still is. I see no way the deck can even survive to bring out conkeldurr and gigalith in the first place.

Either way, sakura and i are planning to test out several decks vs crushing current tonight (today evening for sakura) and we'll see how it goes (i'm pretty sure i'll be laughing a lot more than i am now though)

i am trying out a few matches in random vs with basic orange

match 1:

2 roggenrola's, cheren, pokedex + a mulligan to start off with 1 more card for me (let's see how it goes)

Edit: i got 2 cherens, an n, a pokedex and a gigalith out, and i still lost 6 prize cards to 2 (taken)

match 2:

dead draw- roggenrola's and timburr vs a zapdos

lost 3-0 (he took 3 prizes and i took none) with 0 damage dealt

Edit: i'm stopping now because this is the most embarrassing thing i've gone through in the last week. I know two matches isn't enough to prove a point, but honestly, the decklist already proved that. I might just try some more matches with sakura tonight just to prove it more definitively

Also, gaylen i don't mean to be rude, but why in the world are you misleading people? even with weakness this deck doesn't stand a chance against crushing current let alone all those decks this doesn't hit for weakness

3× Drilbur Fighting Common

1× Excadrill Fighting Rare

3× Mienfoo Fighting Common

2× Mienshao Fighting Uncommon

3× Roggenrola Fighting Common

2× Boldore Fighting Uncommon

1× Gigalith Fighting Rare

2× Throh Fighting Rare

4× Timburr Fighting Common

3× Gurdurr Fighting Uncommon

2× Conkeldurr Fighting Rare Holo

2× Energy Search I Common

2× Giant Cape I Uncommon

2× Heavy Ball I Uncommon

2× Pokédex I Uncommon

2× Pokémon Catcher I Uncommon

2× Switch I Common

2× Cheren Su Uncommon

2× N Su Uncommon

18× Fighting Energy Fighting E —

i have here the basic orange decklist (as given off wikipedia)

Let's face it, the deck was a joke a year ago and it still is. I see no way the deck can even survive to bring out conkeldurr and gigalith in the first place.

Either way, sakura and i are planning to test out several decks vs crushing current tonight (today evening for sakura) and we'll see how it goes (i'm pretty sure i'll be laughing a lot more than i am now though)

i am trying out a few matches in random vs with basic orange

match 1:

2 roggenrola's, cheren, pokedex + a mulligan to start off with 1 more card for me (let's see how it goes)

Edit: i got 2 cherens, an n, a pokedex and a gigalith out, and i still lost 6 prize cards to 2 (taken)

match 2:

dead draw- roggenrola's and timburr vs a zapdos

lost 3-0 (he took 3 prizes and i took none) with 0 damage dealt

Edit: i'm stopping now because this is the most embarrassing thing i've gone through in the last week. I know two matches isn't enough to prove a point, but honestly, the decklist already proved that. I might just try some more matches with sakura tonight just to prove it more definitively

Also, gaylen i don't mean to be rude, but why in the world are you misleading people? even with weakness this deck doesn't stand a chance against crushing current let alone all those decks this doesn't hit for weakness

against basic orange, is the same as basic green, is a 2 way match, or you get conkeldurr, gigalith, chesnaught and shiftry in the early game or you'll lose the game.

Another fact is, when you put crushing current vs crushing current, it's a supporters war.

I just find this situation very funny, didn't the TCGO staff say that they'd monitor Theme matches and add nerfs/buffs to PREVENT this situation from occurring?

I just find this situation very funny, didn't the TCGO staff say that they'd monitor Theme matches and add nerfs/buffs to PREVENT this situation from occurring?

Creating a balanced deck is not easy (for TCGO staff).

Maybe a random staff who rarely plays is assigned to make crushing current, and he simply combines the dragonite theme deck with the old raichu-stadium trick and make it a theme, with no concerns about if it will impact the format or not.

Welp, I the nd I didn't have even 10min to playtest with Awesome :/ I will be testing with him next weekend but we'll have less time overall. When we have any data we'll post it here.

I think you misunderstood the meaning of that. Monitoring theme matches means exactly this: they create a deck that they believe to be balanced/fair but recognize from the get-go that it could need tweaking depending on how it plays out. Before they can modify the deck, they first need to collect data from several games. After doing that they can decide if a nerf is necessary and what they will nerf. If we users can collect data as well it should accelerate thre process.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the Sun&Moon (2017 Feb) theme decks will have GX in them.

I don't know how consistent they are gonna be but maybe all the old theme decks are just "not supposed to" be on the same power level  as the theme decks after the release of Sun&Moon.

Maybe they create crushing current to counter that? I doubt it tho.

Archived