Need help with my RayEels deck (legacy).

MagikarpX2000

Hello. RayEels is my favourite deck. However, I have a very bad win rate against other meta decks, so I'd really like some suggestions about improving the deck. Here's my current decklist:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 3 Rayquaza-EX DRX 123
* 1 Raikou-EX DEX 105
* 4 Tynamo NVI 38
* 4 Eelektrik NVI 40
* 1 Zekrom PR-BLW BW24
* 1 Jirachi-EX PLB 60
* 2 Keldeo-EX PR-BLW BW61

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 4 Professor Juniper *******
* 2 Pokémon Collector HS 97
* 2 Skyarrow Bridge NXD 91
* 3 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 4 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 1 Skyla BCR 149
* 2 Float Stone ******
* 2 N NVI 101
* 2 Tool Scrapper DRX 116
* 4 Level Ball NXD 89
* 3 Junk Arm TM 87

##Energy - 13

* 4 Fire Energy CL 89
* 9 Lightning Energy CL 91

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I love the Ray Eels archetype also.

My suggestion is to run a copy of Shaymin EX for speed and to run Skyfield over Skyarrow.  If you fill your bench with Eels and a support Keldeo you can use Shaymin and discard it when Skyfield is replaced.  Skyarrow is useless since it doesn't allow Keldeo to retreat for free and it is inferior to float stone. 

Ditch Junk Arm in favour of speedy setup.  Perhaps replace it with Trainer's Mail.

1 or 2 Battle Compressor and VS Seeker can help, it can get you out of a bad draw on turn 1 and also help get energy in discard.  It could also make a single copy of Ninja Boy very useful.

I run less energy, more like 3 fire, 7 Electric and two copies of professor's letter, so I can draw electic and discard it with Ultra Ball, or get that elusive fire energy when needed.

Fighting Fury Belt would also be a better card than Eco Arm.  Giving Ray 210 HP.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Also, your deck is in the unlimited format. It only has 6 cards from that format, Pokemon Collector and Oak's new theory.  You could probably cut a few draw supporters, since you already have a dangerously high 4 Sycamore / Juniper and could use Ultra Ball or Pokemon Communication and be an Black and White on deck.

I love the Ray Eels archetype also.

My suggestion is to run a copy of Shaymin EX for speed and to run Skyfield over Skyarrow.  If you fill your bench with Eels and a support Keldeo you can use Shaymin and discard it when Skyfield is replaced.  Skyarrow is useless since it doesn't allow Keldeo to retreat for free and it is inferior to float stone. 

Ditch Junk Arm in favour of speedy setup.  Perhaps replace it with Trainer's Mail.

1 or 2 Battle Compressor and VS Seeker can help, it can get you out of a bad draw on turn 1 and also help get energy in discard.  It could also make a single copy of Ninja Boy very useful.

I run less energy, more like 3 fire, 7 Electric and two copies of professor's letter, so I can draw electic and discard it with Ultra Ball, or get that elusive fire energy when needed.

Fighting Fury Belt would also be a better card than Eco Arm.  Giving Ray 210 HP.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Also, your deck is in the unlimited format. It only has 6 cards from that format, Pokemon Collector and Oak's new theory.  You could probably cut a few draw supporters, since you already have a dangerously high 4 Sycamore / Juniper and could use Ultra Ball or Pokemon Communication and be an Black and White on deck.

I forgot to mention that this deck is in legacy, so most of your suggestions don't work, but thank you anyways. :) I've thought about running less energy, but I'm running into some energy shortage as it is. Maybe I should try running an Energy Search or two.

I would definitely run an Energy Search. You can easily get it with Skyla or Junk Arm, which means you can turn either of those cards into Energy.

Speaking of Junk Arm, I don't know why you aren't running the full four. Care to explain?

One question: why are you running Skyarrow Bridge AND Float Stone Keldeo? That seems a little overkill to me, especially when Keldeo alone does well enough in the mobility department.

For a Stadium to replace Overkill Bridge, I would suggest Tropical Beach for those opening turns, but I understand that's incredibly expensive and difficult to get. Another option is Burned Tower, which could possibly solve your Energy-shortage issues, though it is a coin flip every turn. Yet another option is to simply not spend valuable deck space on a Stadium at all, since RayEels doesn't necessarily need one.

Now for some Pokémon suggestions. Victini from Noble Victories would be a big help against Genesect decks, since V-create one-shots it for two Energy, and RayEels usually has a full Bench more often than not. Another idea is the non-EX Rayquaza from Dragon Vault (or Legendary Treasures), which one-shots Rayquaza-EX and gives you a slight Prize edge in the mirror match. Both of these 'mons also help against non-EX decks like Weavile/Eggs, which love to pick on RayEels' EX-heavy nature.

Personally, I really like running two Pokémon Catcher/Reversal (same thing) in this deck. Yes, it's a coin flip, but it's the closest thing to Lysandre this deck can get, and that effect is just too good, especially in the mirror.

As for the ACE SPEC, I used to run Computer Search too, but I really didn't like how ridiculous the "discard fee" was to use it again with Junk Arm. My choice these days is Scoop Up Cyclone - it lets you pick up an injured EX to "heal" it, it lets you reallocate Energy, and it can get Jirachi out of harm's way, all while not being too ridiculous with Junk Arm.

Those are just my suggestions, anyway.

I would definitely run an Energy Search. You can easily get it with Skyla or Junk Arm, which means you can turn either of those cards into Energy.

Speaking of Junk Arm, I don't know why you aren't running the full four. Care to explain?

One question: why are you running Skyarrow Bridge AND Float Stone Keldeo? That seems a little overkill to me, especially when Keldeo alone does well enough in the mobility department.

For a Stadium to replace Overkill Bridge, I would suggest Tropical Beach for those opening turns, but I understand that's incredibly expensive and difficult to get. Another option is Burned Tower, which could possibly solve your Energy-shortage issues, though it is a coin flip every turn. Yet another option is to simply not spend valuable deck space on a Stadium at all, since RayEels doesn't necessarily need one.

Now for some Pokémon suggestions. Victini from Noble Victories would be a big help against Genesect decks, since V-create one-shots it for two Energy, and RayEels usually has a full Bench more often than not. Another idea is the non-EX Rayquaza from Dragon Vault (or Legendary Treasures), which one-shots Rayquaza-EX and gives you a slight Prize edge in the mirror match. Both of these 'mons also help against non-EX decks like Weavile/Eggs, which love to pick on RayEels' EX-heavy nature.

Personally, I really like running two Pokémon Catcher/Reversal (same thing) in this deck. Yes, it's a coin flip, but it's the closest thing to Lysandre this deck can get, and that effect is just too good, especially in the mirror.

As for the ACE SPEC, I used to run Computer Search too, but I really didn't like how ridiculous the "discard fee" was to use it again with Junk Arm. My choice these days is Scoop Up Cyclone - it lets you pick up an injured EX to "heal" it, it lets you reallocate Energy, and it can get Jirachi out of harm's way, all while not being too ridiculous with Junk Arm.

Those are just my suggestions, anyway.

Thank you for the suggestions! I felt like the 4 Junk Arms were not very useful in the early game, but I might be wrong about that. I can't afford Tropical Beaches, but I'll try dropping the stadiums. I like having them to counter my opponent's ones, but maybe that's not so necessary. About the catchers/reversals, coin flips is by far my least favourite mechanic in this game, so I tend to avoid those cards. I really like Computer Search, but Scoop Up Cyclone sounds nice too. I think I'll try something like this:

-2 Lightning Energy

-2 Skyarrow Bridge

-1 Computer Search

+1 Rayquaza

+1 Junk Arm

+2 Energy Search

+1 Scoop Up Cyclone

My "Skeleton List" with techs and description of each. pokemon count could always go up to 16 and trainer line up can be switched to skyla variant.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 3 Rayquaza-EX DRX 123 (i actually almost never attack with him, its strange)

* 2 Victini NVI 15 (for genesect and weavile match up)

* 1 Raikou-EX DEX 105 (Heard you like jirachi ex)

* 3 Tynamo NVI 38

* 3 Eelektrik NVI 40

* 1 Zekrom LTR 115 (for weavile match ****

************* BCR 142

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 2 N NVI 101

* 3 Professor Juniper PLF 116 (discard outlet, draws a lot)

* 4 Professor Oak's New Theory CL 83 (Best Legacy Supporter, Hands Down.)

* 1 Colress PLS 135

* 1 Random Receiver PLS 138 (junk arm-able supporters. basically makes junk arm a dowsing machine)

* 4 Junk Arm TM 87 (discard outlet, basically vs seeker for items, always run 4 if you can afford the space and discard)

* 3 Dual Ball CL 78 (gets anything but an eel)

* 2 Level Ball NXD 89 (for eels, tynamo, victini)

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137 (discard outlet ace spec, can find any card you need)

* 2 Float Stone PLF 99 (for keldeo or eels, because skyarrow doesnt work on evolutions)

* 2 Skyarrow Bridge NXD 91 (W/O Skyla, this is better. W/ Skyla, you can skyla tropical beach.)

* 1 Super Rod NVI 95 (In case you have to Juni like 3 Fire Energy or something. Lets you run victinis and zekroms into weavile for free)

* 2 Bicycle PLS 117 (Item, Draw Card, rounds out draw based trainers to 12, with 1 random receiver, is junk arm-able)

* 1 Energy Search BLW 93 (Grab a lightning before a discard, or a fire to attach to an attacker. Also is junk arm-able)

* 1 Lost Remover CL 80 (Special Energy Denial, Optional)

* 1 Max Potion PLF 121 (I like this as another energy discard option, Super Scoop Ups can also heal and switch, if you don't mind coinflips.)

* 1 Tool Scrapper DRX 116

* 1 Alph Lithograph TM 103 (Tech, Optional, Better Town Map)

* 1 Energy Retrieval AOR 99 (Tech, Optional, Superior Energy Retrieval is another discard option.)

##Energy - 12

* 4 Fire Energy CL 89

* 8 Lightning Energy CL 91

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

There is card called energy search trainer it realy helpfull against these energy problems and you can get back your junk arm use it again you can search with skyla and compuıter search 

ı love legacy decks and i have played agains a lot against rayeels deck i have noticed three things

1-without kelde-ex+float stone deck make struggle so  i currenty use two tool scrapper because of this and garbador

2-Deck at start slow if you dont have enough supporter line ,you stuck becames dead hand i have seen that

3-Like sharkking said non-ex pokemons like rayquaza-ex a lot , add 1,2 victini have great affect

4- i think at start findind fire energy a little bit hard so usually they attack pokemon with zekrom or start with zekrom

Zekrom good start if you havent got any keldo in your deck at start

I'd really like to fit in a Victini, but I'm not quite sure what to cut. Also, how many draw supporters do you usually run? As DaBadBoss said, a Random Reciever would probably be good, but I don't want to cut down on the draw supporters too much and risk getting a Skyla or Collector when I don't want to.

Archived