Metagame

Adkon

I feel like gamefreak should make some good non supporter trainers that have good draw power, or make some supporters items, like tierno/cheren, shauna, bianca, and others I cannot remember. Because I feel that the metagame is too centered arround supprters, which you can only use once per turn. Also, if GF is so scared of having a card be too good, can't they make it ace spec or some way to limit how many of a specific card you can have in your deck? I've seen it work in other card games. (Not just yugioh)

If you can't draw your whole deck in 3 turns, you're not trying hard enough. Between trainer's mail, bicycle, sycamore, ultra Ball, N, and shaymin, you don't need more draw support than that.

I'm not sure what the problem is.

What does shaymin even do? I have heard so much talk, put IDK what it does. Also what does bicycle and trainer's mail do again? I get them mixed up sometimes

Well, there's your issue. You're complaining about the lack of item based draw power before doing any kind of reaserch. It's as easy as googling "x item pokemon tcg" and the first link will tell you what it does.

It's quite the opposite; most of your drawing power relies on items right now. One of the few reliable draw/shuffle supporters available are Sycamore and N, and even then you typically rely on VS Seekers to get them at the right time. This is the reason why Toad and Trevenant XY were such a nightmare to play against. Tierno is pretty much rip, courtesy of N. There is no reason to increase the size of your hand because everyone has Ns in their decks.

I'm gonna explain the ones you asked about, but the next time please do search before posting. Google is your friend and so is the search function in this forum.

Shaymin EX: when played from your hand you can draw cards untill you have 6 cards in your hands. You typically search for it with ultra balls, which reduces your hand size. Played correctly you can draw 5-6 cards using just pokemon and items (ub-shaymin combo)

Bycicle: an item from expanded that does the same thing as Shaymin but with less cards (4 rather than 6 cards).

Accro Bike (I'm assuming you meant this): you look at the first 2 cards of your deck. You have to discard one and keep the other in your hand. It's more of a deck thinner than anything but it does add consistency to the deck.

Trainers Mail: look at the first 4 cards of your deck. You may choose 1 trainer card you find there, reveal it, and put it in your hand. Then you must shuffle your deck. As BeastBM mentions below, this item is increasingly useful the more of it you run and the more trainers your deck contains. It noticably increases the consistency of a deck when you run 4 of these on a 30+ trainer deck.

What does shaymin even do? I have heard so much talk, put IDK what it does. Also what does bicycle and trainer's mail do again? I get them mixed up sometimes

shaymin (roaring skies) allow you to draw cards until you have 6 cards in your hand, and it is NOT a supporter which means it doesnt take away your supporter for the turn.

For other cards, why dont you go to collection and see it yourself, it is much easier that way.

Trainers Mail: look at the first 4 cards of your deck. You may choose 1 trainer card you find there, reveal it, and put it in your hand. Then you must shuffle your deck.

If you are looking for non supporter trainers, I would recommend you to run 4 trainers mails.

Trainers mail is very important in terms of improving consistency. A lot of new players do not put it in their decks because trainers mails are in the roaring skies theme deck (the zapdos and dragonite one), and that theme deck barely have any other trainers. This make new players think that trainers mails are useless because most of the times they get nothing from it. But When you run a deck with 30 - 45 trainers, trainers mails would become REALLY REALLY USEFUL.

Think about it this way, even if you DONT get anything from the trainers mail, it is still a good thing because otherwise you wouldnt draw any trainers for the next 4 turns, and that would horrible and would cost you the game if you are stuck.

Even if you dont find anything when you use trainers mail, it helps you to reshuffle your deck, which makes it possible to top deck a supporter card your really need.

Yes, run 4 trainers mails! (in most of the cases)

Well still, I still find that the metagame is too trainer orientated

It kinda has to be otherwise the game would be put down energy and evolve Pokemon really slowly. Trainer cards make your strategy work faster.

Think about it this way

Say you walk everyday to and from school where you barely make it for first lesson, you then realise that there is a bus that goes to and from school in twice the amount of time getting you on time to school before first lesson and to be able to do your homework/sleep.

Which would you take? Would you keep walking everyday or take the bus?

I would take the bus

Exactly, in the same way this analogy works with decks, The bus is filled with trainers to make your deck function faster and walking has little to no trainers( like shoes, get it?) that make your deck not function as fast or its desired effect. 

I hope this helped to explain why this game is a draw support influenced game

You did. It would still be nice to have better non supporter drawing cards.

Awesome :) Btw did you know in base set gen 1 you could use 4 oaks in 1 turn? This is because they were classed Trainer cards and no sub categories for trainers existed back then, this was fixed in future sets limiting the use of a supporter per turn

Awesome :) Btw did you know in base set gen 1 you could use 4 oaks in 1 turn? This is because they were classed Trainer cards and no sub categories for trainers existed back then, this was fixed in future sets limiting the use of a supporter per turn

Unless you have a *long pause* dual brain. 

You did. It would still be nice to have better non supporter drawing cards.

I doubt there will be cards like this because even the "best drawing supporters - Tierno" we have right now draw 3 cards,

if you want to draw 3 cards using items (which can be played many times a turn), like roller skates, you have to flip a coin or otherwise it would be too good. Items should always be "worse" than the corresponding supporters.

( Ex: Lysander --> pokemon catcher, fisherman/brock's gut --> superod/sacred ash, pokemon center lady --> super potion, Cilan --> professor letter, and the list goes on...)

if you want something that draw 2 cards, the only thing I can think of is Acro Bike, again, if there is an item card that allow you to draw 2 cards then that would be a little bit  too good.

if you want something that draw 1 card, then...... why would you? you could add an extra copy of something instead. You can run Unown (farewell letter) to help you digging through your deck. Or you can run trainers mail for consistency.

So yeah, blame tierno for why we dont have good drawing cards, it sets the bar for the non supporter drawing items. non supporter drawing items (things like draw X cards) would never be good unless they make drawing supporters draw 4 or 5 cards.

(Even the ability of drawing ONE extra card could determine if a supporter is good or not, Ex: Professor Oak's new theory, Shuana, Professor Birch)

btw,

"Discard and then draw X cards" 'should' draw more cards than

"Shuffle and then draw X cards" which 'should' draws more than

"Draw X cards" because you get to "keep your resources" for the last one.

Now you see why we CAN'T draw more cards using tierno (because even shuana draws 5 after shuffling). and this in turns makes drawing items not so great.

(However most competitive decks do not care about the discarding and they generally have 1-2 superods in them)

Also, dont forget that N is in the format as Sakura mentioned above. No matter what you draw this turn, as long as you can't use it this turn, your opponent could always N you to shuffle those cards back.

Hope what I said here helps :)

I remember. I played the originall version of PTCGO..... The Pokemon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy

Technically not a PTCCO but just a PTCG unles you somehow hacked your gameboy into having internet xd

More on topic, pretty much everything Beast said. Tbh the game may be better off this way. We aren't allowed to run 40 card decks like in Yugi so decks would be massively inconsistant with less trainers. Just look at the majority of theme decks and you'll know what I mean. They could make more pokemon or item based draw/reshuffle cards but they have to keep them less powerful than supporters for the sake of balance. People used to complain that battle compressors with vs seekers, acro bikes, trainers mail, etc. were way too consistant and also consistently allowed you to burn through 3/4 of your deck in one turn. Imagine just how disgustingly good a Sycamore/N like item or pokemon would be if such a thing existed.

Technically not a PTCCO but just a PTCG unles you somehow hacked your gameboy into having internet xd

More on topic, pretty much everything Beast said. Tbh the game may be better off this way. We aren't allowed to run 40 card decks like in Yugi so decks would be massively inconsistant with less trainers. Just look at the majority of theme decks and you'll know what I mean. They could make more pokemon or item based draw/reshuffle cards but they have to keep them less powerful than supporters for the sake of balance. People used to complain that battle compressors with vs seekers, acro bikes, trainers mail, etc. were way too consistant and also consistently allowed you to burn through 3/4 of your deck in one turn. Imagine just how disgustingly good a Sycamore/N like item or pokemon would be if such a thing existed.

That last line. Shaymin-ex is a pokemon version of bianca (a rarely used supporter) and even that is now nearly broken.

Imagine a pokemon version of n. run four of those and 4 actual N's and that'd be a potential 5 times you could shuffle and draw 6 cards t1 (and if you did, you wouldn't really have to worry about refreshing your opponent's hand since you can't refresh an already refreshed hand).

Just imagine that. Running through a potential 30 cards with minimal discards. And this is excluding all the acro bike and trainers mail stuff that would go on.

BROKEN

That last line. Shaymin-ex is a pokemon version of bianca (a rarely used supporter) and even that is now nearly broken.

Imagine a pokemon version of n. run four of those and 4 actual N's and that'd be a potential 5 times you could shuffle and draw 6 cards t1 (and if you did, you wouldn't really have to worry about refreshing your opponent's hand since you can't refresh an already refreshed hand).

Just imagine that. Running through a potential 30 cards with minimal discards. And this is excluding all the acro bike and trainers mail stuff that would go on.

BROKEN

Mismaguis doh

I remember. I played the originall version of PTCGO..... The Pokemon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy

Haha, I played that too, back in days. Great game. :D

But yeah, stuff your deck with 4xVs seeker, 4xN, 4x Sycamore, 4x trainers mail. If you have no shaymin, get 1-2 Octillery. 4xUnown can also help. Turn 2 you have 40 cards in your hand, no joke.

What is trainer's post?

Trainers Mail: look at the first 4 cards of your deck. You may choose 1 trainer card you find there, reveal it, and put it in your hand. Then you must shuffle your deck. As BeastBM mentions below, this item is increasingly useful the more of it you run and the more trainers your deck contains. It noticably increases the consistency of a deck when you run 4 of these on a 30+ trainer deck.

If you are looking for non supporter trainers, I would recommend you to run 4 trainers mails.

Trainers mail is very important in terms of improving consistency. A lot of new players do not put it in their decks because trainers mails are in the roaring skies theme deck (the zapdos and dragonite one), and that theme deck barely have any other trainers. This make new players think that trainers mails are useless because most of the times they get nothing from it. But When you run a deck with 30 - 45 trainers, trainers mails would become REALLY REALLY USEFUL.

Think about it this way, even if you DONT get anything from the trainers mail, it is still a good thing because otherwise you wouldnt draw any trainers for the next 4 turns, and that would horrible and would cost you the game if you are stuck.

Even if you dont find anything when you use trainers mail, it helps you to reshuffle your deck, which makes it possible to top deck a supporter card your really need.

Yes, run 4 trainers mails! (in most of the cases)

If you're not even reading the responses to this thread there is little we can do to help you. If english isn't your first language (before anyone jumps on me with the "omg ur r4cist" thing, I'm gonna try to help him. My first language isn't english either; I understand perfectly well that the language barrier can be a problem when trying to communicate effectively) you can tell us which language is your first one and we'll have an easier time helping you. This forum has a wide range on languages among its users so that's not an issue.

If you do speak english as your first language, please disregard that, but please do read the responses before you post :P

Archived