Penalty for Quitting in a match?

PerfectPhoenix

So, I've been trying to do challenges. Oh no, sorry, not trying, taking a JOURNEY to complete these challenges. Every single time I log into TCG, and I want to do something that's not Theme Deck because hey, I want to try out the hundreds of other cards instead of sticking to Themes, and even with Themes, there's that little problem. 

Players leaving the match when it's not in their favor. 

I've had matches where I've been beaten down to my last Prize, and when the instant I make the smallest comeback, they leave. Hence why it takes days, even weeks to complete a simple KO challenge because people just leave. 

What about inducing a penalty for leaving, such as you can't play for 5 or ten minutes, or just SOMETHING. 

Oh boy, it's another one of these...

Look, this isn't gonna happen and we're better off that way. The idea of punishing someone for conceding is stupid. There are plenty of valid reasons to forfeit a match.

That your reason for this is that you can't complete dailies makes this even worse. Kinda self-centered, don't you think? Why should another player be forced to help you with your challenges or be punished? They can if they want to (there's no chat anymore but a lot of times it's obvious whether you're doing a challenge or not), but if they do it's a COURTRSY, a favor; not an obligation. So for God's sake don't ask for people to be forced to stay in just so that you can complete your challenges.

And on a bit of a sidenote, if it really takes you days and even weeks to complete a KO challenge, that reflects really poorly on your skill as a player. No amount of bad luck should be enough to slow an average player that much.

Oh joy, this thread again.

Back when chat was available many players were considerate if you told them you were working on a daily challenge - that is where you should focus your frustration - as those days are gone with the introduction of the canned chat.

Discussion on penalty for match forfeit has been a dead horse for a very long time.

PTCG - the only game where people let you win and people get angry

Let me add a correction: PTCGO.

People generally play out the games through the end but I've never had anyone be angry at me for conceding a game irl. It's generally considered good sportsmanship to realize when you have zero chance of comming back and concede defeat.

Let me add a correction: PTCGO.

People generally play out the games through the end but I've never had anyone be angry at me for conceding a game irl. It's generally considered good sportsmanship to realize when you have zero chance of comming back and concede defeat.

Whenever someone concedes IRL I get EXTRA salty because I was trying to complete IRL quests and they are not helping.  How am I supposed to level up my real self otherwise?

Whenever someone concedes IRL I get EXTRA salty because I was trying to complete IRL quests and they are not helping.  How am I supposed to level up my real self otherwise?

Obviously having the other guy stick to the end helps you be a better player (even if he's just dead drawing 6 energies in a row). So you should confiscate their cards for 5 minutes if they concede to discourage them :P

If you are taking days to complete a simple 16ko challenge then you, the player are the problem not the game. Intrinsic locus of control? Not even once. No wonder your post is thumbs down central

I'll try to explain this to you in a way that does not insult you as a player, like other (immature) posters tend to do.

(one of the good things of beeing an adult is that you don't need to insult people to proove your point)

People quit matches because time is a valuable resource in everyones life.

People don't wait till you're done playing your combo when there is no chance they could win.

Quitting saves time. Time is worth gold.

Let's say people have 1 hour of free time for this game, and they want to play as many matches as they can, so they quit the matches they are going to lose in order to go to the next match as fast as possible.

When they play Ladder, there is an additional pressure to win that makes people not wanting to waste their time.

But that is a general PTCGO problem, if anything, you should blame the developers for that and not the players.

Here is a tip for you:

When you are about to win, play fast. If you are winning and do unneccessary things that cost your opponents more of their precious time, they are going to quit and you don't get to do your challenge. You need to learn how to play really fast so your opponents will stay in the game and let you get the KO for your challenge.

Obviously having the other guy stick to the end helps you be a better player (even if he's just dead drawing 6 energies in a row). So you should confiscate their cards for 5 minutes if they concede to discourage them :P

Honestly I would pay to see this.  I would pay extra if the five minutes was counted with a cake timer that went "DING" at the end,.

You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day

My God, what a way of tanking your rep (talking about OP). Xensor would have been proud (RIP).

Honestly I would pay to see this.  I would pay extra if the five minutes was counted with a cake timer that went "DING" at the end,.

You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day

My God, what a way of tanking your rep (talking about OP). Xensor would have been proud (RIP).

#highlights

Yeah, punishing someone for conceding is not a good idea because there are a lot of valid reasons for quitting a match. There is nothing wrong in admitting that you can't win this time.

But, I can understand this kinda frustration. Many people here comment how other people are not required to help you complete a challenge, but I would say in many cases it is not like that. In my experience, many people seem to concede out of pure spite. I have played countless matches where my opponent concedes like 2 seconds before my attack. They are not doing that to "save time" but to prevent me from getting a KO. I literally click my defending pokemon immediately when it's my turn but still have no time to actually attack. It's even more annoying when the opponent took good 1-2 minutes to complete their turn, then attacked/clicked end turn and immediately concede when it's my turn. I usually have no time to play any cards either that would be changing the direction of the game in my favor (otherwise it would be understandable for my opponent to concede). So in this scenario my conceding opponent is actually wasting my time. And they are doing that on purpose.

Also, it can easily take several days to complete a KO challenge. It does not mean you are a bad player. I'm an adult who has a maximum of 30 minutes a day to play this game. Usually I get 1 KO per match (most of the time opponent concedes immediately after the first KO even when there is no saying who will win the match). If I'm lucky I have time to play several matches and get a good 5-8 KO per day. If my opponents are the type to play 10 minutes and then concede 2 seconds before I get my first KO I end up with 0 progress.

So yeah, this is actually a problem and it can be very frustrating (and it has nothing to do with you being "selfish" or demanding other people to help you out) but it will only be fixed by people changing their behavior and not by giving penalties.

(The challenges should really be updated so that they are not dependent on your opponents actions. Otherwise it would not matter at all at which point my opponent decides to concede, but right now it makes a big difference.)

Yeah, punishing someone for conceding is not a good idea because there are a lot of valid reasons for quitting a match. There is nothing wrong in admitting that you can't win this time.

But, I can understand this kinda frustration. Many people here comment how other people are not required to help you complete a challenge, but I would say in many cases it is not like that. In my experience, many people seem to concede out of pure spite. I have played countless matches where my opponent concedes like 2 seconds before my attack. They are not doing that to "save time" but to prevent me from getting a KO. I literally click my defending pokemon immediately when it's my turn but still have no time to actually attack. It's even more annoying when the opponent took good 1-2 minutes to complete their turn, then attacked/clicked end turn and immediately concede when it's my turn. I usually have no time to play any cards either that would be changing the direction of the game in my favor (otherwise it would be understandable for my opponent to concede). So in this scenario my conceding opponent is actually wasting my time. And they are doing that on purpose.

Also, it can easily take several days to complete a KO challenge. It does not mean you are a bad player. I'm an adult who has a maximum of 30 minutes a day to play this game. Usually I get 1 KO per match (most of the time opponent concedes immediately after the first KO even when there is no saying who will win the match). If I'm lucky I have time to play several matches and get a good 5-8 KO per day. If my opponents are the type to play 10 minutes and then concede 2 seconds before I get my first KO I end up with 0 progress.

So yeah, this is actually a problem and it can be very frustrating (and it has nothing to do with you being "selfish" or demanding other people to help you out) but it will only be fixed by people changing their behavior and not by giving penalties.

(The challenges should really be updated so that they are not dependent on your opponents actions. Otherwise it would not matter at all at which point my opponent decides to concede, but right now it makes a big difference.)

You see, the problem here is not that OP's frustration isn't legitimate, but rather that he explained himself really poorly. It came off as a salty rant and like he wanted to force people to do as he likes. Had he posted sonething more along the lines of what you just did he would have found some understanding/support rather than mockery and an avalanche of downvotes.

We have felt for a while now that we are not being taken seriously as a community and that we are often times ignored when the staff has to make big changes and decisions. While we'll never know the true reasons behind this (maybe there are legal or economical reasons behind some of their more unpopular decisions such as the chat canning, but again, we'll never know), but I can't help but think that our constant whining and making a big fuss out of everything we dislike it's at least part of the reason why no one listens to us anymore. Lets face it; OP's post is little more than just salty qqing. He could have supported his point with actual arguments like you did, and even if we still all disagreed on adding penalties we could have at least taken him more seriously.

I'd like to add one more thing too. I know what you mean when you say people quit right before the last hit simply out of spite. Playing a long *** game and then quitting only before the last hit doesn't save any time proportional to the time you already spent. I'd be lying if I said I've never done it too, because I've also been salty after a game and quit just before the last hit. My temper is complete *** (I'm not proud of that but it's the truth), and in the short time I've been here I think I've more than shown it (not proud of that one either). But even then I try to be a good sport. When I've had a good match I send my opponent a "Well Played!", end my turn and let them have the last hit. Sometimes I've done so despite being very salty about w/e, be it bad RNG, that they turned the match around or anything else. So while I do not support overall poor sportsmanship, I can understand too where people who do this "quiting right at the end" thing are comming from. So long as we try our best to be fair and good, we'll succeed at it most of the time, even if we fail at others.

The thing is that sportsmanship can only be promoted, not enforced. It may be part of the rules, butvthe reality is you can't force someone to be a good sport. People who would quit just to annoy you will do so regardless of whether there is a penalty or not, because that's not the reason they ragequit. Games such as League have a pretty strict penalty for players who quit a match ranging from a 5minute timeout penalty (what OP suggested) to a permaban for repeated offenders. This is more reasonable in league since you screw over your entire team in a game where a match can last for over 30min, no one else is allowed to quit without being punished and where win or loss actually matters (if you're playing ranked). And yet, people ragequit all the time. I wouln'd expect people over here to really care about a 5 minute wait time for ragequitting.

On a (somewhat) unrelated note, if you only have 30min or so a day to play, you may want to avoid taking more than 1 KO challenge at at time, or avoid taking them altoghether if you can't store challenges yet. Those take a million years to complete even if people don't quit on you. Damage challenges still give 2exp and are far easier to complete. I'm in a similar situation myself and I avoid KO challenges like the plague.

Archived