What irks me about the Alola region

ZorgZeFrenchGuy

I've been recently looking at the pokemon that reside in the Alola region, and I've found something that annoys me to no end. It may be just me, but the thing that frustrates me is the "alolan" pokemon, which are just pokemon from another region with different forms than their original form.

To see why it irks me so bad, let's grab an example: the alolan vulpix. It says that the pokemon moved to the alola region with humans. That's not so bad. Then it says that the vulpix migrated to mountainous regions to avoid "normal" pokemon habitat!

First off, how would Vulpix possibly survive the mountainous regions long enough to take on another form? It's a fire-type, for crying out loud! It would die before even considering changing! Second,  How could it change at all? The only pokemon known to be able to change itself to adapt to the environment is eevee! This new development completely deadens the uniqueness of eevee's  "special" ability! Finally, the fact that vulpix headed for the mountainous regions is apparently  that it wanted to avoid the normal habitats of other pokemon. What sort of reason is that?!? Why would a fire-type pokemon possibly even consider heading off to some cold, barren mountain instead of living in a forest? Also, judging by the current stories and types of the other pokemon in this region, the mountains would actually be MORE crowded than a vulpix's typical habitat!  

With the alolan pokemon, the people who made that stuff up should either make up better backstories or just shun it altogether!

If you look at it from a different perspective, the Theory of Evolution is really at the center of this. With the example of Vulpix, after spending several generations in a mountainous environment, it Gould possibly adapt to the climate.

That could be true, although how could vulpix survive in snowy climates long enough to change? It would likely die first. 

That could be true, although how could vulpix survive in snowy climates long enough to change? It would likely die first. 

Fire types don't get cold.  They have fire inside them! :) 

True, but looking at the description, it says alolan vulpix doesn't bode well in heat. wouldn't this hold true for normal vulpix  and cold?

True, but looking at the description, it says alolan vulpix doesn't bode well in heat. wouldn't this hold true for normal vulpix  and cold?

No, because fire is supereffective on ice.

That holds true on attacks, but in an environment? With blizzards, *********, and crevices, I don't think a vulpix would last too long, even if it doesn't die from the cold itself. Plus, why wouldn't vulpix settle somewhere more appealing? Why would it head to the mountains?

• 3 weeks later...

maybe pokemon company international get enough ideas for new pokemon, you know, since this is the 7th generation. Not only that, they also wanna recreate the main pokemon idea from fresh. See how they removed the hm's and gym battles. They didnt get enough ideas too, so they just gave alolan forms to kanto pokemon.

P.S : In my opinion, they returned red and blue because the storyline isnt enough. They also create ultra beasts because their designs are too complex compared to pokemon.

maybe pokemon company international get enough ideas for new pokemon, you know, since this is the 7th generation. Not only that, they also wanna recreate the main pokemon idea from fresh. See how they removed the hm's and gym battles. They didnt get enough ideas too, so they just gave alolan forms to kanto pokemon.

P.S : In my opinion, they returned red and blue because the storyline isnt enough. They also create ultra beasts because their designs are too complex compared to pokemon.

Well, that's a negative view.  People have been saying that TPCI has run out of ideas since Yellow version.  Here we are, 15 years later, and I still see no reason to believe that.  The reason Alola has no gyms or HMs is because it's a quaint little island territory with a Pokémon league under construction and well-designed public transportation that works because the area is so small.  As for storyline, from what I've seen, this is turning out to be the second-best after Gen 5, and perhaps even passing that.  Ideas for new pokemon will never dry up because the definition of what a pokemon can be is very loose, from extremely believable Pidgey to shockingly unlrealistic Klingklang; from the spirit of nature, Celibi, to the embodiment of man-made machines, Magearna.  From purely digital Porygon to reality-grounded lillipup, and everything in-between, there are no limits on what a pokemon is- and the many thousands of fan designs prove that conclusively.  TPCI will only run out of ideas when they run out of fans, and from what we've seen over these 20 years, that's not going to be any time soon. :)

Also, has anyone else noticed that they  changed the emoji drawins?  Sad looks less sad, happy has longer eyes, wink looks more awkward, the sunglasses got smaller, shocked looks more confused and angry, and infatuated looks even less convincing... I have to say that this was generally a deprovement.  What gives?

• 3 weeks later...

If people were able to adapt to cold climates why can't Pokemon? Lol

Africans left hot Africa and over millions of years become light skinned and changed into what we now call Europeans.

Well, first, humans are supposed to be considerably more adaptable than animals (or pokemon, for that matter). second, isn't adaptability supposed to be eevee's special skill? Why bother if any pokemon can adapt? third, this changing of forms seems to have happened over a very short period of time. A fire-type in an icy climate would die long before it has the chance to adapt. Fourth, it says alolan vulpixs don't bode well in heat. couldn't they just change back???

• 2 weeks later...

The only pokemon known to be able to change itself to adapt to the environment is eevee! 

or castform, which responds to changes in weather. or wormadam which responds to environment changes... or any pokemon that triggers evolution with training in a certain place...

Archived