Beginner Deck Help

Adkon

Hey. Iknow how to play the game, but new to the meta, and I don't have many cards. I want to know how my deck is, and any tips/suggestions to improve it.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 1 Emboar-EX BKP 14

* 3 Growlithe BKP 10

* 3 Arcanine BKP 11

* 1 Slugma KSS 6

* 1 Magcargo PRC 23

* 2 Tepig BCR 24

* 2 Pignite BCR 25

* 2 Emboar BCR 26

* 1 Torchic DEX 15

* 1 Torchic PRC 25

* 2 Combusken DEX 16

* 1 Blaziken DEX 17

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 2 Blacksmith ******

********** Retrieval PLB 80

* 1 Exp. Share PRC 128

* 2 Fisherman BKT 136

* 3 Professor's Letter XY 123

* 2 Scorched Earth *** 110

* 3 Professor Sycamore *******

* 2 Switch BLW 104

* 2 Lysandre FLF 90

##Energy - 20

* 2 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

* 4 Burning Energy BKT 151

* 14 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Hey mate, I"ll share with you my suggestions.

Firstly, you need to have a solid trainer base or else even the best Pokemon can't help you win. You need a reliable set of draw supporters to constantly give you the cards you need every turn, or else you will get stuck easily. The 3 Sycamore you have is good, now complement that with 3-4 N.  Also, I suggest investing in getting a 2-2 line of Octillery for constant draw support. But bear in mind, Sycamore doesn't gel well with Octillery, so if you add in Octillery replace Sycamore with Prof. Birch. Without Octillery or Shaymin EX you will definitely need 4 N and 4 Sycamore. 

Staple trainers you must have to build any deck:

• 4 Trainer's Mail (helps you find the trainer cards that are not in your hand)
  • 4 VS Seeker (brings back Supporter cards in your discard into your hand)
  • 4 N
  • 4 Prof. Sycamore
  • 4 Ultra Balls (a must in nearly all decks to find your Pokemon) 

You might also want to consider using a couple of Level Balls for your low HP Pokemon, as well as a couple Evosoda and/or Rare Candy to help evolve your Pokemon quickly. I also suggest maybe 2-3 Brigette/Pokemon Fan Club since all your Pokemon aside from Emboar EX are evolution Pokemon.

The other trainers you have in there are good. However, you are focussing a lot on Energy. A typical deck will not need more than 12 total Energies, unless the deck specifically calls for it like Typhlosion. Thus, reduce your Energies to at least 12. Therefore, remove 2 Professor's Letter (one is good enough) and you may keep 1 Energy Retrieval (you don't need more).

Finally, you have too many Pokemon in your deck. Keep it simple with 1 main attacker and a backup attacker. Any other Pokemon you use should be support Pokemon like your Emboar BCR (non-EX one). Also, avoid having more than 2 different Stage 2 evolution Pokemon as your attackers. Your main attacker should be up and attacking in 1-2 turns ideally. With that being said, I suggest you cut out the Arcanine line that is too expensive an attacker and also remove Magcargo as the 1-1 line doesn't really help you. If you have too many evolution Pokemon your setup becomes too slow. Focus on Emboar EX and Blaziken. Add 2 more Blaziken and one more Emboar EX. You can also consider using Volcanion instead of the Emboar evolution line to help charge up Emboar EX. You get Volcanion free in the theme deck and a fully charged Volcanion is a really good attacker too. Hence, the Emboar BCR line might not be the best coarse of action. Volcanion is a great way to charge up your fire Pokemon that is quick and efficient. Also, Burning Energy can offset the need for a Fire energy every turn when Emboar EX or Blaziken discard an energy for their attack.

In addition to this, you should add in 1 Super Rod and 1 Teammates. You get 2 free Teammates with the new versus ladder, so definitely incorporates those two. Non-EX Pokemon can easily be OHKO in the current, so you can take advantage of this by using Teammates to find any 2 cards you need at that moment.  Also, Super Rod is essential for any non-EX evolution deck because you need to get your evolution line back in your deck so you can start setting up another attacker, or else the opponent can easily steam roll over an evolution deck. Setup is a big weakness of evolution decks, so you must counter that - Teammates, Super Rod and Brigette can help you stay in the game and get another attacker ready.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Cheers!

I don't havve brigettt, fan club, octillery, volcanion and I have 1 vs seekers. I don't have more blaziken or emboar ex. ANy way to get those and volcanion?

I updated my deck. ****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 1 Emboar-EX BKP 14

* 2 Tepig BCR 24

* 2 Pignite BCR 25

* 2 Emboar BCR 26

* 1 Torchic DEX 15

* 1 Torchic PRC 25

* 2 Combusken DEX 16

* 1 Blaziken DEX 17

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 1 Energy Retrieval PLB 80

* 1 Professor's Letter XY 123

* 2 Lysandre ******

* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107

* 2 Blacksmith FLF 88

* 2 Level Ball NXD 89

* 1 Fisherman BKT 136

* 2 Scorched Earth *** 110

* 2 Super Rod BKT 149

* 2 Ultra Ball *** 113

* 1 Teammates PRC 141

* 2 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138

* 2 Switch BLW 104

* 1 VS Seeker *******

***** DEX 96

* 2 Pokémon Center Lady ******

* 2 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94

##Energy - 17

* 2 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

* 4 Burning Energy BKT 151

* 11 Fire Energy Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Good evening pokemon fans :D

i can tell since u dont have shaymin ex or octillery for draw support u really should run 4 copys of "N" and 4 "sycamore" !!! Draw Power is really important in PTCG these Days ...and has always been!
I also would cut 4 copys of basic fire energys out couse u have enough with 12 energys in total
and i wouldnt run too many diffrent Supporters couse u want consistency in ur draws and if u have too many not-draw-support-supporters u will get stuck easily... but blacksmith is important here so u better cut out these giovanni scheme's, Pokecenter lady's and Pokemon Fan club is maybe worth running one copy :)

next point Ultraball is an epic card use 4 of them !!!

I see u use 2 switch cards, i like escape rope more but i cant prove its better so do what u like ^^
And the last point  have to make is: u better get those 4 copys of "VS Seeker" becouse u will be using them in every single deck ur playin ...if u are a smart PTCG player

i hope i could help a little and i wish best luck for ur deck build

I don't havve brigettt, fan club, octillery, volcanion and I have 1 vs seekers. I don't have more blaziken or emboar ex. ANy way to get those and volcanion?

Could steven work? Also how many ultra and level balls should I have?

Hey mate,

You can get an extra free Pokemon Fan Club in the current versus ladder, and that too a Full Art version. Also, like I mentioned you can get 2 Volcanion free in the Gears of Fire theme deck; use 500 tokens to buy it from the shop (it's free). You also get 2 free N in the Hidden Depths theme deck. VS Seeker is a must, so you have to invest some tradable packs to get yourself 4 VS Seekers to make any competitive deck.

Don't ever use Steven, it is a really bad Supporter Card. You are basically using one supporter card to get another supporter card that you can't even use this turn, along with an energy. 

You typically need 4 Ultra Balls in every deck, it is  staple that you cannot leave out.  For your deck I think 2-3 Level Balls would be good enough to help get your two Stage 2 evolution lines up. You only need Level Balls if you're attacker is a Stage 1/2 evolution Pokemon. 

You need at least 3 copies of your main attacker or else you won't be able to fight back after one of them gets knocked out. I suggest you get Volcanion into your deck. He's a much better Pokemon than the one's you currently have. You can buy 2 Gears of Fire theme decks to get yourself 4 Volcanion or simply get one copy of the theme deck and save up 2 tradable packs to trade for Volcanion. I also suggest you get the Sky Guardian theme deck from the shop as it contains Delphox, another great fire pokemon for you to use. And it also has Lugia, a pretty good Pokemon in its own right.

As for supporters, you really want to limit them to important ones because remember you can only use 1 supporter per turn. If you load your deck with lots of supporters you will get stuck easily. Aside from Sycamore, N and Lysandre you typically only really need 1 of any other supporter, unless the deck specifically calls for more one. Moreoever, cards like Pokemon Center Lady and Giovanni's Scheme can be seen as a luxury that you can add to your deck if you have extra space.

To get a fairly competitive fire deck I suggest you buy the Gears of Fire Theme deck as well as the Sky Guardian theme deck. Also, you must invest in getting 4 VS Seeker.

Theme decks are your best friend when you are first starting to build your own decks. They give you important trainer cards as well as Pokemon for free.

Cheers

What is a fast way to get coins?

i guess playin VS-Mode is the fastest way... from the roulette (which u get from a win) u can get25coins ...but if ur lucky u can get 375coins from one match !!

I don't have any good standard or expanded decks, so which thme deck should I use: BW: Basic Green, Night Strikers, Mental Might, Born of Fire, or Rallying Cry?

I don't have any good standard or expanded decks, so which thme deck should I use: BW: Basic Green, Night Strikers, Mental Might, Born of Fire, or Rallying Cry?

Hey there,

Use the new Crushing Current theme deck, it is pretty OP and will help you win most games. This theme deck is given to you for free, you just have to unlock it by winning 7 Trainer Challenge matches. I suggest you use this theme deck in the Theme deck tournaments too, so you can get some tradable packs.

Good Luck

Ok. Thank. I never really understood the strategy for crushing currents. What is it?

Basically, load the bench, use Sky Field to have a bigger bench, and use Circle Circuit to 1HKO anything in Theme. Failing that, there's Zapdos with it's attack that does 120 at the cost of 40 to the Bench, but you can spread that around easily. While setting up, use Electrode and Fearow to stall with Energy Bomb and Drill Run. The latter slows your opponent down, the former is basically, as I have come to appreciate, a free attack, as it gives you the optional choice of moving all Energy off it onto your Bench. Do this just before Electrode is KOed. Have fun with mirror matches!

What cards does hoopa ex (With scoundrel ring) work well with?

Any heavy-EX deck. Mega Evolutions in particular love this card, as you can pull the Basic, Mega, and a Shaymin EX to draw more cards. But DarkTina and other Basic EX focused decks love it too. In short, it works well with pretty much anything EX.

Can someone make me a deck list that can work competetively well in standard? I just want a decklist to strive towards and so I can win in standard matches.

Archived