Bad balancing ruins games..

Karriya

As title says, Pokemon tcg is fun. But its terriblely balanced. If you want balanc you won't find it by playing your cards right. You have to buy the strongest packs with the strongest pokemon. I have just started and lost a match against a pokemon called Virizion. Its not a evlution or anything. It just got 100 hp and giga drain at 2 engery which deals 30 damage..

That being 1 case, there is lots of pokemons who got terribely bad balanced stats and it seems to me, that it just comes down to buying skills (pokemon packs)

If pokemon really should be balanced to fair play, it would require a giant flip on the whole game. My question to posters itt is: How can we improve this game, is it really fair that its best to simply buy the packs..?

Well, to start with, Virizion is weaker than Reshiram and Zekrom, which can be found in the previous set. In paper format, you can get them from tins, making them extremely common. It's a little different online, but they're still fairly common pulls, and as I said, better than Virizion.

The more important point it, pokemon TCGO is effectively a simulator for the paper card game. That means that the online card game will never rebalance cards.

I understand how you feel, and I've gotten the same sentiment about the game from a friend before, but I explained the same thing to him. The online game will always mirror the paper card game, and you can't easily change paper cards.

The best way to win at the game is to use the resources online, like sixprizes.com, find out what cards are working and what decks are strong, and using them yourself. You will need to invest some money into the game, and after that, trade and trade and trade.

Buy a booster box for codes. Sell anything from the box that you can and make whatever money back that you can. If you're lucky with your pulls, you can sell for the value of the box. Congrats, 32 free codes.

I had an idea that there were even more unbalanced pokemon than the 1 I mentioned. But the fact that the Pokemon tcgo is just a copy of the paper cards, doesn't balance the paper ones more.

I think that pokemon tcgo could get a lot bigger player base by simply balancing the game more, than trying to get people to pay for unbalanced pokemons instead. Because as you said. BUY a booster box.. There isn't much else to do really. If I don't buy I won't be able to defeat some of the more skilled.. Or rather. More money throwing players of this comunity. Which is a shame..

Oh, come on, like it's not the same with any other card game.

Like if you played Yugioh or Magic you wouldn't have more chance to win if you had more powerful cards, which are, quite incidentially, also rarer cards.

That's the point in this sort of games, not just the battling, but also the collecting part, and naturally, the harder to get cards will be stronger, and there always will be useless cards just as well.

This is especially true in a game like Pokemon TCG, if you wanted balance, sure, they could've gave all Pokemon 60 base HP and the basic 10/20 attacks with 1/2 energy costs, but the TCG tries to stick to the same sentiment as the video game, basics are generally weaker than evolutions, no-evo lines are stronger than typical basics, and legendaries are on par at the least with most fully evolved Pokemon.

Just like in the video game, Virizion is stronger than say, Celebi, which is stronger than a Charmander, but weaker than Reshiram, they base the cards straight off their video game equivalents, and that's fine, just try to tell me that you would think it fine to see most games won by an Azurill(Statistically, the weakest Pokemon), or a Magikarp.

Out of the big three TCG's, Magic, Yugi-oh, and Pokemon. Pokemon is the most balanced. Reshiram and Zekrom are kinda unbalanced at the moment. In a TCG there are going to be stronger and weaker cards. If you want a fully balanced game try one of the draw from the deck games, Killer Bunnies, or Munkchkin. There is one that uses Pokemon Cards called Pokemon Rumble TCG that is quite fun.

Hm... I agree with the top comment that there are some cards that are really extremly (and perhaps unfairly)strong, but as long as you play smart (with a good constructed deck), and of course with a litle luck, you can beat them. I play both Pokémon and Magic, and I must say I do quite well in both, even though I haven't really bought that many cards. I've only bought one deck in Pokemon, and got about 20 booster packs for playing alot, but still win about half my matches (and I'm a beginner), and as I said, it also takes some luck. Like if you only get one basic pokémon, and no more for a couple of rounds, you're usually toast. If that's not bad luck, I don't know what is. So just keep trying, and learn from your mistakes!

• 1 month later...

Zekrom and Reshiram both have recoils to their strengths, one does 40 to itself and the other discards 2 energy respectively. The cards aren't you know a place them down and you win kind of thing (even though it might feel that way sometimes lol), it's the cards that they work in tandem with that make them so good. With the right strategy and abit of luck you can take them down.

Edit: Should've looked at date before posting, silly dashboard LOl.

TCGs have always been like that, just look at the high end games of Magic and YuGiOh. If you want to play in a high and competetive level, then you're going to want to everntually invest money into getting those high tier cards.

Virizion.. is it that good? Seemed like the weakest of the cycle to me.

one of my packs had two Terrakion. I'm happy.

Cards like Reshiram and Zekrom seem more unbalanced than the sacred sword cycle. They really rub in the fact the game is unbalanced. But I still like the game, even though I should be mad. It's a great game. And you can have fun with the cards you have. Even if it was balanced, that doesn't mean I'd go out and buy a hundred packs. So I'd still be at a disadvantage from having fewer cards.

Mythic rares in MtG, for instance, are outrageous. And not so much because they are unbalanced. But because it proves the game was always like that, and that the developers were lying to us about it the whole time. So I guess it's just an inevitable downside to all TCG's meaning there's no use asking to change that. At least the plus side to Pokemon TCGO is that not every opponent uses highest level decks, rather, many opponents are just like us who are just making use of whatever they have! Not to mention the game starts you off with 4 Prof Elm Training Method, etc. To think, they probably didn't have to do that.

a little off topic but i realised that in this game you can mulligan once on your first hand , how come you can't on the TCGO, unless i dont know how to

Greetings!

As of right now, the only way for a player to mulligan, is if you don't have a basic Pokemon in your hand. I also tend to agree with this, and I'll make sure to note it as a suggestion as well. I couldn't tell ya how many times I've been beaten by a ZPS deck, flipping tails, and losing without getting to make a move myself (???°???°)???????????? I believe right now there just is no mulligan option to prevent abuse on it. Thanks!

Prof Proto

Centurion Moderator

"Being defeated is often a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent."

Wouldn't this require a rules change from Japan? I think it *almost* makes sense to allow a player to choose to re-draw with the same consequences as for not drawing a basic (i.e. showing your hand and letting your opponent draw). But this idea needs some modification to prevent abuse (e.g. because of Judge).

and so now i realised.its not bad luck but really bad balancing.

novice game: beginners that jus got to the site OR finish trainer challenge to get all 4 basic decks.

expert game: people who had lots of boosters/cards(1000 n above if you click the avatar)

so where does those inbetween go?if you choose novice game,you r the one bullying newbie(and no token).if you choose expert game you get crush by those who r able to afford and had many cards etc playables/primes like zekroms/rashiram/thundrus/mew/donphan.

the only place that is balance(you got almost equal chance of winning/losing) is VS the AI,but guess what,no token.

to conclude i'll repeat : Where to the inbetweens,aka ppl like me with a little more then 4 free basic decks and MUCH less those who hadthousans of cards, in game sorting?!

PS:my tokensr collected jus in case the company decides to do with tokens vs cards/boosters

Archived