Sooooo.... about that Beartic.

Josiah-Fierce

I'm just curious are there any real solutions to this evil card. 50 Damage and making it so your Opponent can't attack. All I saw in Rank matches was Double Colorless, Beartic, Water, Double Colorless oh look another Beartic and Water Energy. Takes 2 turns to set up and as far as I know the only counter is to be able to retreat to get rid of the ability but how often do you have a powerful enough Pokemon that has a low retreat cost.

Any actual methods people have come up with for general deck strategies to beat this. I can think of specialized decks like getting a Scizzor Prime or something out in to play but if I'm using a different deck that isn't its weakness it's a bit difficult. I've even poisoned and burned the thing and it still just kept tearing through Pokemon while setting up even more in the background lol

Yeah, I think we'll be seeing more easy retreat methods being used now. For psychic, Metagross gives that. I'll have to look for it in the other elements.

I run a Beartic/Vileplume/Renuniclus deck.

Here are some quick counter tips:

- Don't let them get a vileplume set up

- Set up your bench before his

- When in doubt, run Zoroark and Foul Play his Sheer Cold. That will force the beartic player to retreat

- Another neat card was RDL that pooka destroyed my deck with on stream.

Yeah I haven't had much luck with beating them to the punch I mean if there's 4/4 in their deck all they need is Elm, Pokemon Collector, or Communicator and bam they get what they want. Get an item to choose energy as well and they have it setup in 2 turns.

As for the retreat strategy. Metagross with 0 retreat would work. But here's the thing you need 2 or more Pokemon setup with energy and ready to go or its useless and they have to hit hard or he's going to have out damaged you. He brings beartic to play hits you forces you to retreat but he still hit you for 50 damage taking close to half HP of most Pokemon you'd have if not 3/4ths a stage 1. Then you need something ready to hit him hard enough to take him out easily.

For me I'm working a Psychic deck soon and thinking of trying Crobat Prime. They would have to retreat or they die in 2 turns from 80 damage poison every turn and Crobat can just retreat to safety for free. My Steel deck doesn't have an issue I believe Steelix Prime can't be effected with status effects pretty sure that means this Beartic ability as well. Scizor Prime if they have double energy on doesn't even take damage and he can one shot them with just 2 steel energy and having 4 Special Steel Energy makes Beartic do 10 damage.

That foul play sounds like it could work.

I have dodrio in my deck that makes retreat cost cheap. That's the strategy I used against someone who loved beartics. I set up a gigalith on my bench and started knocking them out one by one. Also helps if you have a couple of switch. Knock one out with gigalith, they switch in another beartic, switch gigalith for a basic, dodrio's power makes retreat cost zero, retreat for gigalith again, knock out another beartic, they switch in yet another beartic, switch gigalith for the same basic and retreat for giaglith again, and knock out a third beartic.

For a psychic metagross setup to counter a Beartic deck you can use Muk. Muk pokes the bear. Muk can run on 1 energy whilst you set up and ruin his bench. Beartic needs 3 energy to get going so if you keep switching to his bench whilst you set up yours he is either going to waste energy retreating or let you freely kill his bench for prizes, the two exceptions to this of course are him getting switches early on or running beartic as a teck card with a gator prime setup because then he can start 1 swiping your muks. All in all though muk in a metagross deck is 9 times out of ten going to ruin beartic's day.

One teck you could run with this would be gothitelle ability to build on your bench whilst muk stalling then 1 shot his bears.

Another teck you could run would be espeon so when you switch him out to stall you can heal and hit his bench. This also works well with metagross being able to hit the bench. Has a nice synergy to it. If you're fast enough you can get your prizes off his bench because muk poison/confusion espeon and metagross can all spread damage around. All help stop your opponent setting up bears. Bench hitting works because you are hitting for more damage each turn and his stall move is having no effect.

The two are interchangeable with a whole lot of other cards depending on how you want to play, whats going to ruin him is free retreats from metagross and switches/damage from muk hurting his setup early on.

Yerp I need a Metagross (Psychic version lol have the Steel one) but ran out of stuff to trade lol. Trying to figure a good way to Implement Crobat Prime because in literally 2 turns the Beartic would be dead (along with almost any other Pokemon) and it starts with a 0 Retreat cost. The main issue there is survivability though I've been working on trying to combine Dodrio and Espeon for healing as well if a Crobat is hit for instance.

Hate beartic...

They just kept drawing card after card, I think they had like 15 cards in their hand. It was three turns and they already had two beartics one of them with water and dce. Must've had a hand full of pokemon catcher, so retreating didn't work at all.

I wonder what the creators of these cards were thinking. Cincinno can do 100 damage with only two energy, reshiram/zekrom can do 140 damage with only two energy (and zekrom gets more powerful doing 120 damage), then beartic stops all attacks without any consequences. I feel like all these cards should have at least some coin flips!

You guys are all forgetting that almost all Beartic decks have more than just Beartic as an attacker. For my deck, I have Zekrom in the bench to transfer damage to with Reuniclus. Sure you can have Gigalith as your active, however, the retreat cost is still there even with Dodrio, Setting up another Gigalith takes longer than myself setting up another Beartic. All in all, you're going to be using almost all your energy cards on Gigalith retreating and attacking and still be short on defeating a Beartic Deck.

Yerp, thats the primary issue. Getting setup before they do and having the right setup waiting. Like I said with the right cards it seems pretty easy to get a Beartic setup almost instantly being one of the main issues. Pokemon Collector, Communicator or Elm and you got the Pokemon. Then just get something in there for grabbing yourself a double colorless and instant 2 turn setup most of the time.

Though at the same time for retreating to counter, you need to get a Dodrio, then you need to get multiple Pokemon that can attack, add the energy, etc etc...... which can take longer and often from my experience harder to setup depending on your deck.

But for my Psychic deck. Yeah adding Reuniclus to combine with Espeon for added survivability. Then adding a couple Hypno to capitalize on Crobats poison since a turn of sleep equals another 40-80 damage even if they were wanting to retreat. That and Muk deals 80 whenever Hypno sleeps them without having to switch the bench.

But yeah basically if I have Hypno try to sleep them, then Severe Poison them. If they stay asleep that means you not only get 40 damage for when their turn starts but then you get 40 damage for when their turn ends and from that point on Beartics pretty much useless. Then hopefully Reuniclus to keep Crobat alive if hit and switch with Espeon to heal. If they have another Beartic then distribute to deadweight I guess then repeat.

• 3 weeks later...

Beartic isn't really that great of a card. Zekrom/Reshiram can kill them off pretty easily with pluspowers. It takes awhile to set them up.

You can send in a Zoroark and lock in their Beartics too using Sheer Cold against them.

The first Beartic can be quick to setup, but after that it can take ahilwe. Get a Tyranitar with special dark attached, and you can see Beartics falling really fast. Having switches/catchers helps too.

Sure you can beat him with a certain setup. But don't get that setup and it's still quite annoying if not impossible depending on the deck. Beartic takes very little time at all to setup. It takes 2 turns to setup with DCE. Zoroark is an effective counter if it attacks first. Reshi/Zek or anything strong is a decent counter if you have them on the bench. Build up the energy, and have a pluspower or something else to tap them first then attack with them. Otherwise they can't do anything.

They aren't invincible by any means, just simply if you don't have the right setup ready to counter it your going to have a very hard time.

Archived