Possible Mewtwo-Y/Garbador Limit/Ban?

PerfectPhoenix

So, I've been playing tournaments lately, and I'm relatively new. I've only collected the cards, and then friends convinced me to start playing cards. But every single time I enter a Standard tournament, I'm left fighting Mewtwo-Y and Garbador spams. So far, every time I play a tournament, I can't ever win. 

How can you even fight Mewtwo-Y spam? I was thinking Carbink or the neat-o Giratina I packed, but then there's Garbador who negates the ability, so then I stupidly thought, "Oh, Hex Maniac! But wait, that negates my own ability."

Every time I try building up a Pokemon, it gets Lysandre'd. 

I manage to make a Regice wall it, Ranger'd. 

How can you even stop Mewtwo-Y spam? It's too powerful.

One way would be to take out the Garbodor's by using Lysandre to bring it out or use a Pokémon that deals damage to bench Pokémon such as Kyurem's Glaciate attack.

There is also Glaceon-EX which prevents damage from evolved Pokémon.

or play in the theme deck format... it is actually more fun.

even if you make a power deck that can crash your opponent it is not fun to play that deck because there is no way to play against an Op deck, you can only crash them.

even if you make a power deck that can crash your opponent it is not fun to play that deck because there is no way to play against an Op deck, you can only crash them.

That sentence literally made no sense

going off topic at its finast you have a thread you can post on ya know??

anyway for countering mew 2 you can use enchanted to discard DCE and slow him down or use cheap/fast attacking cards if you have any good luck!! ( you could also use the weakness mew2 Y cant use weakness so it will be ok to use any psyche cards)

The only honest way to stop Bluetwo is to never let it set up. If your deck can't do 150+ damage by turn 2, you will lose every time.

Mewtwo mainly wins by punishing you for laying energy, just like bacon bird. It's gonna do 70 minimum each turn it attacks.

Sometimes there is nothing that can be done.

P.S. - they can't ban Pokémon at this level. They wouldn't either. It's no Shiftry.

The only honest way to stop Bluetwo is to never let it set up. If your deck can't do 150+ damage by turn 2, you will lose every time.

Mewtwo mainly wins by punishing you for laying energy, just like bacon bird. It's gonna do 70 minimum each turn it attacks.

Sometimes there is nothing that can be done.

P.S. - they can't ban Pokémon at this level. They wouldn't either. It's no Shiftry.

Eh... Japan has a format that has a restriction/ban list but the only cards that are truly banned from it are three Japanese promos, Tropical Beach, Lysandre's Trump Card, Shiftry, and Colorful Body Kecleon.

ah mewtwo, so fun to play against and easy to win against. just use its real weakness, its energy or psychic. trev is also its weakness in a way. get 2 energies on trev and mewtwo can barely even last against it (mind you the newer trev). or use yveltal-ex you be amazed what he can do to mewtwo. seeing that yveltal only needs 4 energies and the stadium that gives dark +10 and either master band or ffb.

mewtwo has so many weakness same as garb. garb can be beaten very easy actually. remove his tool and boom abilities.

also if you use yveltal from bk against mewtwo and ******* out before mewtwo megas, well guess what the dude ain't even gonna bother with mega and if he does, he just give you a free turn of attack. i use bk yveltal and then switch out againt mega mewtwo with yveltal ex with 4 energies and dark stadium that gives me a boost of 10 dmg. then i ***** tool on yveltal ex so when he goes out he can actually use the tool. i also use darkra-ex with ability (this is expanded btw). if i am standard i use zorark with float stone.

if the bug doesn't stick zorark can work with the tool.

But metwo really isn't that powerful in standard. he is more in expanded due to nxd 54 and psychic mirage.

other then that mewtwo isn't that good in standard. i beaten mewtwo plenty of time even with mewtwo vs mewtwo.

nxd vs bk nxd will win easy.

ah mewtwo, so fun to play against and easy to win against. just use its real weakness, its energy or psychic. trev is also its weakness in a way. get 2 energies on trev and mewtwo can barely even last against it (mind you the newer trev). or use yveltal-ex you be amazed what he can do to mewtwo. seeing that yveltal only needs 4 energies and the stadium that gives dark +10 and either master band or ffb.

mewtwo has so many weakness same as garb. garb can be beaten very easy actually. remove his tool and boom abilities.

also if you use yveltal from bk against mewtwo and ******* out before mewtwo megas, well guess what the dude ain't even gonna bother with mega and if he does, he just give you a free turn of attack. i use bk yveltal and then switch out againt mega mewtwo with yveltal ex with 4 energies and dark stadium that gives me a boost of 10 dmg. then i ***** tool on yveltal ex so when he goes out he can actually use the tool. i also use darkra-ex with ability (this is expanded btw). if i am standard i use zorark with float stone.

if the bug doesn't stick zorark can work with the tool.

But metwo really isn't that powerful in standard. he is more in expanded due to nxd 54 and psychic mirage.

other then that mewtwo isn't that good in standard. i beaten mewtwo plenty of time even with mewtwo vs mewtwo.

nxd vs bk nxd will win easy.

You always assume standard is the mode played unless otherwise indicated.

A lot of the stuff you suggested applys to expanded where

1) you can remove tools

2) Trev locks Bluetwo down.

I hate "it's easy" responses because they are always bragging responses.

And everyone doesn't wanna play Bacon bird so that's not a suggestion.

Bursting balloon helps get damage on Mewtwo EX and then use something with high (150+) damage to get the KO.

Rainbow road decks can OHKO it.

Hammer away its energy.

And the new Mewtwo from Evolutions:

Mewtwo – Psychic – HP130
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Psychic: 20+ damage. Does 20 more damage for each Energy attached to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

[P][P] Barrier: Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon during your opponent’s next turn. If any of your Pokemon used “Barrier” during your last turn, you can’t use this attack.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

You just need 6 energy on both pokemon or 5+ fighting fury belt to OHKO Mega Mewtwo.

It's reliance on double colorless attacks mean you can exploit double colorless energy or whatever basic type you run.

mega mew two can seem like an auto lose for many decks, it is very strong but not unbeatable

the best ways to counter it are to outspeed your opponent both mewtwo and garbodor need 2 turns at least to set up if you can out speed them you can win before they lock your abilities and are not able to be beat in 2+ shots

if you can't outspeed them then you must keep their shrine of memories out of play,

you also need lysander to attack the garbodor or to take out their shaymins and even mewtwos that are not healed. if you use N right you can hopefully stop a few rangers, if you want to try to use a locking deck [regice, glaceon etc]

How ever I do agree that they need to make a card that can stop damage change [correct me if I am wrong but ranger does not work on damage change] a idea would be a basic pokemon with an ability similar to this, your opponent can't move damage counters off or on your pokemon [besides damage]

sorry if I made any spelling/grammar mistakes

Thanks for the opinions guys, I just haven't had any luck with this game. I haven't even packed any decent cards, and everything that I don't need is locked, but when I go get codes, I can't even pack a single thing. It's the same old Probopass or Gastrodon, and I try the things for fighting Mewtwo-Y, I still can't ever pull it off. 

I get N'd when I finally draw what I need, Ranger'd when I barely manage to pull off Regice or Glaceon, and Lysandre'd when I try to make a fast move, I just personally think it's undefeatable. And I try to run a Mega Gardevoir Deck because I got lucky with Generations and Steam Siege. 

Thanks for the opinions guys, I just haven't had any luck with this game. I haven't even packed any decent cards, and everything that I don't need is locked, but when I go get codes, I can't even pack a single thing. It's the same old Probopass or Gastrodon, and I try the things for fighting Mewtwo-Y, I still can't ever pull it off. 

I get N'd when I finally draw what I need, Ranger'd when I barely manage to pull off Regice or Glaceon, and Lysandre'd when I try to make a fast move, I just personally think it's undefeatable. And I try to run a Mega Gardevoir Deck because I got lucky with Generations and Steam Siege. 

My suggestion is if you get tradable packs, do NOT open them, you have a better chance getting what you need by trading for them, instead of hoping to pull something good

Mew from Fates Collide hurts M Mewtwo pretty badly. All you need is to be able to hit it before they get Garbodor up which isn't hard since the cards you need would all be basic. The best combinations would be with Scizor EX using it's Gale Thrust attack and giving you time to set-up M Scizor (which generally does well against M Mewtwo) or with Yveltal EX since you only need 4 Energy across both Pokemon and an FFB on Mew to OHKO the Mega with Evil ******* energy for the basic).

I play a Regice/Glaceon deck and have had moderate success against M Mewtwo decks, I would say that I take that matchup about 2 out of every 3 times. Like others have noted, it's a race to get setup. If I see I'm up against a psychic/normal deck, I just assume it's Mewtwo. The strategy is to get as many regice up and charged as possible. I tech with Octillery (because I'm too poor to have Shaymins ;_; ) and Slowking (I keep Manaphy off the bench unless I desperately need the retreat). Max elixirs and hammers are my bread and butter. If I can keep Mewtwo from charging, it's my game to lose.

My strategy is to take out the Garbodor ASAP, losing my Slowking's ability makes those intermittent Rangers devastating.

It's definitely not an easy matchup, but with this deck, I'll take a Mewtwo match over a Scizor match any day.

tl;dr
Strategy:
1) Keep Mewtwo from charging
2) Eliminate Garbodor
3) ????
4) PROFIT!

I think maybe the best thing to do is use a deck that doesn't rely so much on abilities and then they setup their garbodor for nothing :) 

enhanced hammers also really hurt mewtwo decks

Agree wholeheartedly with samuraison that MM2Y is a daunting pokemon to take on. It's never easy to beat a MM2Y deck that is set up well. That said, it is not so OP like the shiftry of old that it even warrants any ban consideration.

Yanmega & greninja breaks along with scizor and possibly even garchomp and serprior with balloons attached can be problematic match ups.

Play with two Lysandre to get better odds of knocking trubbish out. Once you win against it, you'll feel like you won 3 matches lol

Archived