About Exeggcute's ability

OhMyKidney

It's says that "once" during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is in your discard pile, you may put this Pokemon into your hand.

But I saw my opponent keep discarding it and taking it back more than once in the same turn.

Did I misunderstand something?

Memory issues and the fact that the card becomes hidden information once it moves back to hand.

Think of it this way: your opponent propagates an exeggcute giving them three cards in hand, then pitches an exeggcute to diving draw. You don't know that it isn't a different exeggcute. To be more precise, you might know because of some effect, but the game assumes you don't know.

Because the game cannot keep track of this information without relying on memory and honesty, it simply says that I is a new card for all intents and purposes. In the case of propagating without any cards in hand, you would technically know they only had the same exeggcute, but for simplicity's sake and to maintain consistency with how it normally works, it is treated the same way.

So if I play Pokemon TCG in real life with Exeggcute, is it legal to do the same thing as playing online?

i believe it is. Pity they still allow you to do it even if you only have one exeggcute in your deck

i believe it is. Pity they still allow you to do it even if you only have one exeggcute in your deck

Of course, if they didn't, that would give your opponent information...

Of course, if they didn't, that would give your opponent information...

i don't believe the game was programmed to "not give your opponent information"

In fact there are three cases where this programming fails clearly even when we have the information.

1. when your opponent uses propagation more than 4 times a turn. (we know exactly what deck i'm talking about- weavile eggs) I've seen 4 junk arms, 2 ultra balls and 1 comp search used in one turn.

(14 egg uses in one turn straight from discard)  Even giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's using a different one each time, that's 10 more uses than it should be

2. In shiftry decks where opponents would run themselves down to 0 cards in deck with the junk arm bicycle combo leaving just one Lysandre's trump card  and 1 shaymin-ex in their hand -two cards which they would later play (revealing in total their whole deck)

At this point, any smart player would clearly know that their opponent was running only 2 eggs and screwing them over with those repeated uses (sometimes even hitting 12 or even 13 egg pairs used in a turn)

3. Or when your opponent has so few cards in hand that there is no possible way it could work without him having used the same egg twice (When he plays his entire hand out till the point he has 0 cards left in hand)

The fact that ptcgo hasn't kept any way for us to limit their egg use after we clearly know they're overusing it past a pathological extent is something i feel disappointed about :/

i don't believe the game was programmed to "not give your opponent information"

In fact there are three cases where this programming fails clearly even when we have the information.

1. when your opponent uses propagation more than 4 times a turn. (we know exactly what deck i'm talking about- weavile eggs) I've seen 4 junk arms, 2 ultra balls and 1 comp search used in one turn.

(14 egg uses in one turn straight from discard)  Even giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's using a different one each time, that's 10 more uses than it should be

2. In shiftry decks where opponents would run themselves down to 0 cards in deck with the junk arm bicycle combo leaving just one Lysandre's trump card  and 1 shaymin-ex in their hand -two cards which they would later play (revealing in total their whole deck)

At this point, any smart player would clearly know that their opponent was running only 2 eggs and screwing them over with those repeated uses (sometimes even hitting 12 or even 13 egg pairs used in a turn)

3. Or when your opponent has so few cards in hand that there is no possible way it could work without him having used the same egg twice (When he plays his entire hand out till the point he has 0 cards left in hand)

The fact that ptcgo hasn't kept any way for us to limit their egg use after we clearly know they're overusing it past a pathological extent is something i feel disappointed about :/

Ptcgo can't limit egg use, if its done in real life, its done on ptcgo, just like our canned chat

Actually, there is a rule/errata governing this infinite use. Because the Egg changes zones, it is considered a different card each time it is discarded, so Propagation should really say "As often as you like". That's why it can be used so many times. This has come up before and is quite confusing, but is essentially the same as Retreating Volcanion EX and Switching it back up front, which would allow you to Volcanic Heat 2 turns in row.

Archived