A Currency Suggestion for Getting Boosters

Mo05eman

Recently I have seen a good number of threads wanting to be able to purchase boosterpacks with tokens. I think a tokens to boosters plan could work, but making it a little more skill based could make everyone happy and not throw the game out of balance by exploits, multiaccounters ect.

To start, for the sake of this I'm throwing out the idea that gems are a bought currency. Instead gems could be handed out once a week depending on how well you did in your ranked games. Assuming 2 gems=1 pack playing 10 ranked games (win or lose) over a week gets you a standard 1 gem. Winning 10 ranked games in a week earns you an additional gem maxed out to 10 gems a week. This works better than tokens in my opinion because it has a hard and soft cap to it. The hard cap is obviously the 10 gem cap per week while the soft cap being that it takes about 17 hours+ (assuming ((10 minutes per game*10 wins*10)/60)+time playing losing games) a week to max out on gems which the average person will not play. This will keep the want to buy actual packs still high, but gives people the ability to get more cards without having to go buy packs. This also prevents people from benefiting greatly from using multiple accounts unless they are willing to play in excess of 35 hours a week to max out 2 accounts, in which case they can have their booster packs.

Using this, one could expect to play about 3 hours a week to get a booster pack per week. Although this may seem like a lot, remember the whole point of this is to keep people buying boosters in stores while giving them an alternative that may not be as time efficient but it would be free. Also by making it win based, it increases the motive to play the game which makes the game better for everyone whether or not they use the gem system.

Although this is far from perfect, I thought it would be a decent start of a way to increase gameplay, allow everyone to gain boosters no matter what their real life permits them to purchase, and keep the value of store bought packs at their current "virtual worth" online.

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion! I like how thought-out the whole system is ^_^ I agree that something should be given to our non-paying players to keep the gameplay exciting. As of right now we have no news regarding such, but I'll take note of this for the team. We'll post any known future features on the announcements section so stay tuned!

Prof. Snow

Parasol Lady

Need to report a bug or an issue? Submit a ticket to support.pokemon.com!

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

- Vash the Stampede

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion! I like how thought-out the whole system is ^_^ I agree that something should be given to our non-paying players to keep the gameplay exciting. As of right now we have no news regarding such, but I'll take note of this for the team. We'll post any known future features on the announcements section so stay tuned!

Prof. Snow

Parasol Lady

Need to report a bug or an issue? Submit a ticket to support.pokemon.com!

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

- Vash the Stampede

Thanks for considering it! I know a lot of people have been asking about token based or <other> based purchasing of tcgo booster packs so thats why I sat down and devised it (that and the fact that maintenance came right when I was on a good streak).

• 1 month later...

Umm...hello...I have a question...after entering the code from the card, & purchaseing a booster box set from the store, how do I view the cards on the website?...Or is it a Purchase sent to my address?...Because after I've purchased 2 from 2 redeemed cards, I still don't know what to do with them, less find them anymore...

You know those sampling packs that come with those 3 booster blister thingys? I think they should make online versions of those, and make them cost 30 tokens.

I think 30 tokens is too little for a booster pack, as I feel, buying 1 booster pack makes a huge difference. I also don't want the freebie players to have the sense that they can actually compete against a paying player.

I have 28 tokens, and that is from me not playing frequently. Imagine what happens when someone plays all day non stop. They'd get almost 10 boosters from no cash, and 10 boosters means a lot when it comes to getting an advantage.

So, have less cards for prizes, for a moderate amount of tokens.

Another idea I suggested is to include prize slots. Sampling packs can be sold for $2, either in a real store or virtual store, whatever. What happens is, when you open the real one, you get 3 cards and a code card. When you input the code card, it gives you 3 random cards and 7 prize slots. You can use 10 tokens to pick a set, and it will pick a random card from that set for that one prize slot. After that, you would have 6 left, and you use the other 60 tokens to fill up the remaining prize slots.

This is a pretty good idea and I agree. A notable example is Evony Free Forever. Technically its free and you can get a lot of goodies but people still buy to stay competitive. I think giving players a chance to play at some level for free will draw more people into the game. I'm a paid player myself but I know how hard it can be to get the cards you want.

My luck for getting online cards is terrible, but in real life I quiet literally hit the jackpot with my draws.

Archived