Standard V Expanded

Mr_Kev

So i've just  started playing a few weeks ago after so please dont shout at me if this is a stupid question :D

Apart from different Cards being allowed, are there any differences to playing standard or expanded?

Is one better than the other...or is it just down to personal preference of deck choice?

While I can't say too much about standard, Expanded tends to have a wide range of decks you'll face. I've played against everything from nooby mish-mash EX deck to Night March. You'll also see some standard decks or variants thereof.

Basically, Expanded has a larger pool of cards to choose from, and you get a ton of variance in what you play against.

Technically speaking:

-Standard is all the sets from Primal Clash to the most recent set released.

-Expanded is all the sets from base Black and White to the most recent set released.

-Legacy(If you are interested) is all the sets from base heart gold soul silver to black and white legendary treasures.

You can choose which ever you want to play, it depends on you really. At the moment Expanded has the most variety of decks.

Expanded is like swimming in the ocean.  Maybe there is a shark, maybe there is just plankton.  Anything could happen, and be prepared to have to read a lot of cards you've never seen before.

I would say that Standard is more 'new player friendly' but I don't think it is anymore.  With the exit of the previous tournament decks we have new decks that are just as blech to play against.

Magic, Cheers for the responses! 

chosen to play expanded for a little while, if there are more cards that i don't know, means there are more cards i can learn about :D

My advince:

- Read all Trainer cards

- Special energys cards

- EX cards and Rare cards

Mark every interesting card with For Review button.

Archived