Old TCG player, where do I start?

Tarvin21

Howdy folks,

I used to play the TCG back in 2000, but I gave my cards away when I stopped playing. I've got some real money to build whatever kind of decks I want to now, so where should I start? I would prefer to buy a couple booster boxes to get me started, but should I buy them from any particular set? Maybe wait until Black & White boosters come out? Thanks for lookin!

P.S. I already picked up the blue assault, fire frenzy, and green tornado theme decks(probably got the names all wrong, but you get the gist of it, right?)

If it were me id wait for the new Sets to come out. A few things have changed since then. I would completely start over. I too can start from the beginning since i now have more finances than when i was 14 lol, but I feel there isn't a valid reason for me. There really is no one to play with. Everyone suggests for me to play at local events, but the nearest ones are about over 200 miles away. It really isn't worth the trip :(

Yeah, I am lucky in that regard. There is a tournament every saturday about 5 minutes from my house, and a buddy of mine still likes to play too. I'll wait til next week and load up on B&W boosters.

Yeah, I am lucky in that regard. There is a tournament every saturday about 5 minutes from my house, and a buddy of mine still likes to play too. I'll wait til next week and load up on B&W boosters.

i would start from the newest sets and work ur way down. also if u want specific cards( such as only rares/holos, 1st ed., a type, or tourny prep cards) u can look online for them.

Just learn about the metagame and popular cards and decks (luxchomp, gyarados, etc). Things like that. I used to play back in 2000, but just started again last summer.

i have old theme decks, my favourtite one is the raging sea deck with gyarados & sceptile...

i prefer the pokemon cards from diamnond & pearl onwards up until hg & ss undaunted. beacuse the weakness are back to x2. so it is easier to knock out couple of pokemon with one attack & doesn't get the bset of your abilities. but this is a great advantage when playing newer cards that esaily take more damage,

Man I know how you feel. I haven't bought any cards in awhile and the cards that are do have are going to be to old to use within the next year. I've got no monies and I really want to play but it seems like there's no chance with my current funds to buy enough packs to make a new deck with the new set. I'm working on getting a job but getting your first job is hard around here expecially without a car. Hopefully something comes through so I can start playing finally.

Archived