Interested in starting a new team system, need input

6PackCentral

I have always longed for the Pokemon TCGO to release some sort of team/guild/party system in the game. I don't see why we as the players can't create a solid enough system to bring this idea to life. I've been playing around with some ideas in my head, but decided I could really use some input from other players.

Here's what I've got so far: Each team has a leader (The one who starts the team.) The team decides on a name for themselves. A team needs a minimum of 3 members and has no limit on how many team members it can hold. Seeking to a join a team, or looking to start one, you could post a thread on the forums or you could utilize the Team Recruitment chat in-game. Same goes for finding opponents to play against.

Winning a team vs team battle is done by being the first team to achieve 2 victories. Each team chooses 3 members to represent their team. Opposing team members are paired randomly (or not.) All three players then take turns playing best 2/3 matches with their opponent to achieve a Victory for their team. For this to work we would have to rely heavily on the honor system. I recommend taking a screenshot after each battle just in case proof is needed to prove victory. 

I'd like to somehow keep record of a team's wins and losses. I really don't have any concrete ideas on how that can be done besides purely relying on the honor system. As far as prizes go, I feel gaining a win for your team and improving your team's reputation is reward enough; but, I also don't see a problem with wagering cards, packs, etc. 

That is about all I've got so far. What do you all think? Would anybody be interested in something like this?

:)  :) Please post your thoughts! :)  :) 

This idea has been getting bounced around for as long as I have been here, and I agree with it, I think it is a good idea.  However, I have no confidence in the PTCGO development side will have anything to do with it.  It will have to be completely 100% on our side, organized, communicated, etc.

It'd be much easier to establish something like this if we could post links to a private VOIP/chat server or whatnot.

That would require people downloading extra software, which I'm not too confident people would be willing to do just yet. If enough people show interest though, I'd be more than happy to set something like that up.

That would require people downloading extra software, which I'm not too confident people would be willing to do just yet. If enough people show interest though, I'd be more than happy to set something like that up.

There is discord, which can be used in browser.

I think I'd be feasible to try to first get something like this going among ourselves much in the same way that some of the large player-organized tournaments have worked before using the forums.

We could have someone act as the master/owner of the whole thing and make a new thread here in the PvP that would have to be updated periodically.

We could have clans in the way you described and have them written in the first post of the thread.

Alongside that, we can hold tournaments from time to time. We could have entree fees of, lets say, 1 pack (could be any pack, this is just an early idea) and give them all to the winning clans.

Just for fun we could have a point system and determine a winner and determine winners every so often (maybe at the release of the next expansion).

If we could keep this alive for long enough and it catches on, we might even get an official clan system in-game. I know it sounds distant but it's possible for a player created system to become official, sort of how a custom game mode from warcraft became an entirely new game (dota).

This is a really rudimentary idea but I'd love to see it flourish and become something big. If some of our most notorious forum member helped us I think this could very well become real.

I think I'd be feasible to try to first get something like this going among ourselves much in the same way that some of the large player-organized tournaments have worked before using the forums.

We could have someone act as the master/owner of the whole thing and make a new thread here in the PvP that would have to be updated periodically.

We could have clans in the way you described and have them written in the first post of the thread.

Alongside that, we can hold tournaments from time to time. We could have entree fees of, lets say, 1 pack (could be any pack, this is just an early idea) and give them all to the winning clans.

Just for fun we could have a point system and determine a winner and determine winners every so often (maybe at the release of the next expansion).

If we could keep this alive for long enough and it catches on, we might even get an official clan system in-game. I know it sounds distant but it's possible for a player created system to become official, sort of how a custom game mode from warcraft became an entirely new game (dota).

This is a really rudimentary idea but I'd love to see it flourish and become something big. If some of our most notorious forum member helped us I think this could very well become real.

Right! We would need as little as two teams to get this thing rolling.

I do agree on the whole operation needing a coordinator. That some one would have to be dedicated and have a good amount of free time to fill that role. I don't have the free time that I'd like to have to handle such a role, plus I'm still a newer player and I feel I don't have the experience to pull it off.

I like the idea of the "point system" restarting every so often. Perhaps every quarter of a year.

Holding tournaments is a really cool idea that I feel will help attract more players to this whole idea.

I wish there was a way to some how give this thread more exposure. For now I'll continue seeing if we can get a few more interested members. At least enough for two teams :).

I agree with this I wouldn't mind donating and I mean id even agree to take a team on. That wouldn't be a problem, however, I can see an issue with deciding whether to play expanded, or standard. Some ppl like one and likewise some the other. Most ppl would probably opt for standard, however myself, and most of the ppl that I in game play and chat with, prefer expanded. I will only play expanded. So I mean there is that as well but if you can get it sorted out, friend request me in game and I can get a team together in a snap, I will donate packs too.

Sadly I won't be having too much time to be online untill december (I check out the forums every day and my phone laggs like you wouln't believe xd I can play from my pc a couple hours during weekends). I'd love to offer myself for the role of admin, but one of the reasons I left the game in the first place was because I was becoming too absorbed into it.

However, I could still support this and help out with administrative stuff on saturdays and sundays. On top of that, right now I have about 50 packs from unclaimed codes sitting on my desk. I do plan to use some of those to buy some stuff, at least enough to make myself a decent standard deck, but I wouldn't mind donating several of those towards a prize pool if it helps incentivate this. I can help draft the rules and the layout of the system.

As for format, I think that having both and alternating would be excelent. Since we'll be competing in groups, that would give clans a good reason to recruit both expanded and standard players.

The problem remains though that we need an admin. The only ones that I see active often enough are the owners and staff members of trading companies, but I'd assume that they already have too much to do to take the main administrative role in something like this. It will require a lot of dedication, specially if we plan to make it go big.

I'd sacrifice... uh I mean volunteer seminc, but I'm not sure if he'd either want to do it or even have enough time.

One more thing, we should try to keep this thread alive. I've seen a lot of well meaning projects, such as new player academies, fail simply because their threads did not attract enough attention and fell to the bottom of the forums. If we advertise this and continuously post new ideas and such this project could catch on. We have to refrain from just bumping though because that would end with this thread locked.

I know the entire thing sounds too ambituous, but somehow I have faith that it could work. If this really does work, I could even get a certain someone who was supposed to be retireing permanently to unretire.

There is discord, which can be used in browser.

Discord is really great, good suggestion. This is my first time using Discord, but it seems to be simple enough as well as being very customizable. I was required to download the Discord app in order to use it, which may be because I'm using a tablet. My wife was able to use it on her laptop without any sort of download as you mentioned.

I went ahead and made a server on Discord for us all to use. I'll be making a new thread at some point tomorrow/this weekend with more concise rules and a link to the server. I don't want this thread getting popular and then have to transfer everyone over to the official one. That will cause confusion!

I'm afraid this clan system will never happen if the next step isn't taken soon. I apologize if it seems like I'm jumping the gun on this. I just want this clan system to be a reality very badly!

To the few who offered to donate packs to help get this thing going, I may be taking you up on said offers in the near future!

Got it. Don´t worry, I intend to keep my word (do remember I can only log in-game on weekends though, so I can only transfer packs on sundays and saturdays). I'm really excited to see how this plays out.

I find this idea excellent and one that would add the kind of spice that I need at the moment to keep interest in the game.

I am happy to play a role and help set up this so we get rolling with two teams to start with.

If we have such a team system it would be cool too, in the spirit of Pokemon, to allow teams to challenge other teams in a structured way that would still have to be determined...

Let's do this :)

Alright, I've got a few concrete ideas regarding the structure of the system and of how we can have issue challenges to each other. Right now I don't have access to my pc, but I'll be posting what I have tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone would be willing to take on the role of keeping track of the score and the matches played, it'd be really nice. It doesn't have to be a single person either, we could copy the structure of the trading companies and have an entire team of people in charge. I'd even be willing to lead the whole thing myself, but I think that the fact I can only use my PC a limited time during weekends could be detrimental to this project.

Hello there, I started sketching what could be the content of the thread

"Post #1

Introduction and Constitution:

This thread ("the Oblivia Region" or whatever better name we would find) is meant to be a structured and long-lasting platform for ptcgo players to play the game as members of per-established teams and for other players to challenge them, earn badges as well as the right to compete in league tournaments organized by the Council of the Oblivia Region.

All players must act in compliance with the Constitution of the Oblivia Region and follow all PTGO rules as well as the Rules governing this Region (see post #2) when they interact with other trainers travelling through the Region.

Any group of players may decide to create a new team in order to compete with existing teams and, by doing so, to have even more fun playing the game and win cool prizes.

Each team is composed of at least three members and must include:

1. One team leader (if the team owns a Gym) or team coordinator (if it doesn't own one)
2. One senior trainer
3. One trainer

In addition, each team may have as many extra trainers as they wish.

In order to create a team, a team coordinator must post on this thread and indicate the name of the new team as well as the username of the other team members (I.e. their username on the forum as well as their in-game name if different).

The first post announcing the creation of a new team will always constitute the base ("the team Base") of said team and must include an updated list of all its members (All team members must have a forum account and be able to post on this thread).

A list of all existing teams and their location (post number of their respective base) will be constantly available and kept up-to-date at post #3.

Team coordinators may also decide to open a Pokemon Gym that is associated to their team, by doing so they gain the title of team leader.
In that case this must be stated in the team base together with the type of the Gym they run (e.g. electric, fighting...) and the name of the badge that can be earned by succeful challengers (e.g. "lightning badge").
There can be only one Gym of each type in the whole Oblivia Region. Once a Gym of each existing type is created, a team coordinator must succefuly challenge an existing Gym to become the leader of that Gym and gain the title of team leader.
You can learn more about Gym challenges at post #4 below.

Any team leader may only lead 2 gyms at any given time (these are referred to as dual type Gyms).

Post# 2: Oblivia Region Rules

To be developed

Post #3 Overview of existing teams within the Oblivia Region

Team A

1. Name of the Team ( XXX )
2. Team Base (post # listing team members and other features of the team).

Team B etc.

Post #4 Challenges

We would have to develop here how challenges take place. We could have different types of challenges:

1. any player (not necessarily member of one of the teams) may challenge a team with a Gym to earn their badge. Players who got a sufficient number of the different badges available would qualify to enter the Oblivia League tournament.
2. A team may challenge another team

Team leaders must: accept a challenge within a set period of time, assign one of their members to play against the challenger and keep track of the results/badges handed out. In addition each Team Leader my decide to reward successful challengers in a way that would motivate players to challenge them (e.g. a rare card or a pack)

Post #5 Oblivia Tournaments

Each quarter or so there would be a tournament the structure and rules of which still have to be determined"

It would also be nice I think to find a system that would determine  the Prestige of each Gym (e.g. number or ratio of challenges won). The most Prestigious Gym would have additional privileges in the Oblivia Region/Council

I hope this gives a good start to work further on. What do you think any ideas, changes or suggestions are welcome of course.

If no one else is volunteering to do this, I can create the thread and be involved in keeping track of the changes.

iyado166,

I really appreciate all the thought you put into this! You have some really cool ideas!

I feel like the intricate system you've created might be a bit too difficult to properly execute, and may intimidate interested players. It strays from the original idea quite a substantial amount, which isn't bad by any means, but may be a tad over the top.

Since starting this thread, I've tied all loose ends and solidified just about every aspect of the ruling. I think everyone will be happy with the results! Tomorrow I'll be posting the official thread.

I'll need some administrators to help orchestrate the whole thing. I'll work that out after I make the official thread. Thanks for all the support, Pokemon has a great community!

Since starting this thread, I've tied all loose ends and solidified just about every aspect of the ruling. I think everyone will be happy with the results! Tomorrow I'll be posting the official thread.

Cool , cannot wait to see the result...

As to the rest, I was just trying to contribute... feel free to take on board any of my suggestions... or toss them to the bin altogether ;)

I actuallu like a lot of those ideas. What I had in mind for issuing challenges is somewhat different but otherwise pretty similar. I still don't have access to my pc >.< but I'll be posting later today.

Basic structure

There will be a master thread started by the owner or host of the clan system. This person will have to have a considerable amount of commitment to the game as they will have to update the thread on a regular basis. Iyado has offered himself as well as OP (6pack).

The master thread will contain all of the following:

· The rules of the clan system, including both things related to the point system and mechanics as well as the code of conduct.

· Name of all the currently active clans, as well as the name of the leader (name of all members not required; they will be on the clan threads)

· Scoreboard which must be updated periodically

The master thread will be used mostly as a hub where the clans will report their activity (mostly the results of any games and tournaments played), and maybe as well for the staff in charge of running the clan system can post anouncements.

Each clan thread will contain the following, and they must be started by the clan leader:

· Name of the clan in the title

· Names of all of their currently active members

· Any additional rules they may wish to add, so long as they do not conflict with the main rules posted on the master thread

This thread will have its first posts, reserved by the clan leader, to post any relevant information pertaining the clan, and after that it will mostly be a place where other clans can issue a challenge to said clan (more on that later).

The points a clan earns will be obtained from individual challenges issued between clans and larger organized tournaments with different formats.

A season will run along the time of an expansion and will be named accordingly (season XY12, season XY13, etc). It will start with the release of the previous expansion and end with the start of the next one. The winners will be set the day the servers go offline for implementing the new expansion. When a season ends, the winning team and all of its current members will be recorded in the Hall of Fame, one of the reserved posts of the master thread. On top of that, there will be a packs prize pool obtained from entry fees to tournaments as well as donations, which will be distributed among the top 3 teams (I suggest a 50/30/20 spread, but we can make it 60/30/10). It is up to each clan how they divide up their reward.

Issuing a challenge:

This will be the main way in which members of the clans will compete on a regular basis, and it will work this way.

1. A member of a clan goes to the thread of a different clan and issues a challenge.

2. The challenger gets to choose the rules of the duel (there is a reason for reverting the usual “the challenged chooses” rule, see down below)

3. The trainer that issues the challenge must be the one who will compete, but the challenged team gets to choose which of their trainers will take on the challenge.

4. The winner earns 1 point for their clan.

5. If the challenged team doesn’t answer within 24 hours they lose by default, and the other team earns 1 point.

Rules of the challenge:

The challenger can choose from the following rules of the challenge:

· Format: Standard/Expanded/Legacy/Theme

· Rounds: Best of 1/3/5

· Switching decks in between rounds: Allowed/Disallowed/Allowed only for the player who lost the previous round.

The result of such matches must be reported to the master thread, where the score will be updated.

Tournaments:

The basic idea is that the tournaments will also give +1 for individual victories, but will also give bonus points to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd (how many will depend on the magnitude of the tournament). As for big clan-wide tournaments, here are a few ideas:

1. Beat the Gym Leader:

Each team will choose a determined number of trainers (I’d like at least 5 counting the leader, but until the whole clan thing catches on we might have to start lower) who will be “defending” the leader, sort of like the random spinners from the videogames. The team that starts is determined randomly (we can have a judge and have players call numbers or something). The team that starts choses a trainer who must defeat the trainers protecting the leader. If they win, they move up and face the next trainer. This goes on until they defeat the leader or they lose a game. If the trainer loses a game, it’s the turn of the other team. Your progress is kept, so when the other team loses a game, your team has to play against the trainer that defeated you on the previous round. In between turns you can change your trainer, or if you chose to send the same trainer, change the deck he was using. The first team to defeat the leader of the other wins. If multiple teams participate we can set up a bracket.

2. Rumble Royale:

Each clan will have 3-5 members participating, and they will play against player of a different ************* will be played, with 1 point awarded per victory. The result of the tournament will be based on the team that obtained most points overall in the duration of the tournament.

3. Now You’re a Pokemon:

The clan leader will act as the trainer, and the clan members are the pokemon. Each leader must take 6 of its members (it can be less so long as it’s an equal number for all teams), and send in one of their trainers to play a game. A trainer that loses a game is KOd and replaced with one of the remaining trainers. The trainers can’t switch out in between rounds; they play until they get KOd. The clan that loses of its trainers loses. Again, if there are multiple teams we can use a bracket.

The entry fee for every tournament will be 1 pack (any pack) per clan. All packs collected will go towards a prize pool distributed at the end of each season. The prize pool will also grow with donations of players who may be interested in supporting this system but otherwise can’t participate.

Sadly, I myself won’t be able to do much besides drafting these ideas and donating packs. Due to a sudden change in my schedule, from now on it’s very unlikely I will even be able to log in to the forums during the week. I will however be donating whenever I can. For a start, I will be offering 21 Steam Siege packs towards the first prize pool (if we use the system I proposed, I’d be best if we started season 1 at the release of XY12). I would be willing to join a team if they don’t mind me being relatively inactive.

I have a team of willing participants to enter. Our team name is Dark Explorers. Members include:

1. Husky16

2. guntherspindler

3. Luxidream

We are all willing to donate any packs necessary to get this thing rolling, however. As expected the format thing is going to be an issue I feel. We are only willing to play expanded. And I promise it is not bc we use night march. We just all prefer the expanded format and we feel that this team challenge should give the option to use any deck that we wish. I personally cannot and will not play an expanded only format bc it is so boring with only mega ray, scizor, mega mewtwo, rainbow road in combination with garbodor (oh and darkrai tina, maybe). But I mean we are only in the formation phase of this whole thing so still open to suggestions. The aforementioned suggestions are great though! Lets really try and get this thing going. Friend request myself and my team members in game to talk and figure this out further. Thanks!

Well that was short lived. My official post was taken down within hours of being posted.

Apparently, posting external links to anything other than an official Pokemon Company registered website is strictly forbidden on these forums. I was not aware of that. All that hard work for nothing. I'd recreate the post with all the same information, but there is no way I'd be able to get it worded as nicely as I did the first time. I spent so many hours writing that dang thread..... I even went ahead and purchased 40 online code cards off **** just to get the Prize Pool started.

I submitted a ticket requesting that the thread is put back up (with the URL link removed of course). Until I hear back on that, I'd say this idea has officially been put on hiatus. :(

Archived