The Real Rant (S01E03: Hardwired To Self-destruct & Encore)

The_Real_Bug

Dear fellow PTCGO players,

i am The_Real_Bug and i have a lot of things that i want to get off my chest.

Without any further delay, i present to you:

The Real Rant

Host: The_Real_Bug

Season 1 - Episode 3: Hardwired To Self-destruct

Before i start, i would like to dedicate my version of Metallica's Hardwired to the developers:

We're so canned
Chat outta luck
Hardwired to self-destruct

I have a strong feeling that developers of PTCGO tend to try fixing things that are not broken.

Or is it just me?

Well, i have an idea!

How about asking the PTCGO players' opinion before performing ridiculous stunts such as canning the chat during battles?

Developers: "How about no"

Well, i was not expecting anything better from them.

Yet, we are often being invited in the forums so we can discuss about the game.

But what is the point if developers never listen?

Oh wait!

They do listen!

To the wrong people!!!

So, let me get this straight.

Parents filled complaints about their kids being harassed by various players through chat during battles, so the developers' reaction was like:

- We are being flooded with complaints from angry parents, have the chat canned!

- But sir, the community...

- Do as i say!

Are you kidding me?!

Why was the option of creating some kind of Parental Control Panel, with all the necessary settings, being thrown outside the window?

Oh wait, i know why!

Because developers are being lazy, that is why!!!

Do not try to tell me it is so hard to create a Parental Control Panel!

Unless the developers were afraid that parents would not be able to configure it correctly and they would be flooded with more complaints.

Then create a simple tutorial for them!

Developers may not get it, but the chat during battles is really important to the players.

Now all the battles give you the feeling that something is missing.

No communication = No fun.

You may have canned the chat to "protect" players from being harassed, but you have missed something very important.

That you have canned the fun as well.

As a player, i would like to see chat during battle returning to its former condition as soon as possible.

It is the only way you can enjoy PTCGO to its fullest potential.

Am i asking too much?

Finally, i would like to ask the developers, what is the deal with the Yes/No buttons' flipped positions at the Coin Flip selection screen and the robotic knockout animation?

If you were trying to be funny, then know it was not funny at all.

Do not miss the forest for the trees...

(Encore: Moth Into Flame)

[http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/47016-the-real-rant-s01e03-hardwired-to-self-destruct-encore/?p=520342]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am i asking too much?

Finally, i would like to ask the developers, what is the deal with the Yes/No buttons' flipped positions at the Coin Flip selection screen?

If you were trying to be funny, then know it was not funny at all.

I lost a lot of matches because I misclicked and couldn't set up turn 1 :/

Agreed with the fury of 1000 suns regarding the chat.

I hadn't noticed the coin flip dialog change - but I've only been playing the trainer challenge with the new theme decks - the AI conversation prior to the start of the match makes it feel more like an online game than when I'm playing against human opponents.

How about the robotic knockout animation?

Really annoying...

(updated first post)

Yes looks like opponent isn't KOED but atleast acceptable, canned chat isn't acceptable.

Yes looks like opponent isn't KOED but atleast acceptable, canned chat isn't acceptable.

True, but the only reason i'm bringing that up is because they are giving too much attention to unnecessary things and forget about the important ones...

True, but the only reason i'm bringing that up is because they are giving too much attention to unnecessary things and forget about the important ones...

The mute option is enough, if someone harass you, mute them... :/

Finally, i would like to ask the developers, what is the deal with the Yes/No buttons' flipped positions at the Coin Flip selection screen and the robotic knockout animation?

SOOO annoying.  These two things...ugh.  I have misclicked Yes/No more than once...

The mute option is enough, if someone harass you, mute them... :/

If little kids are being told nasty things by other players during battles, developers should create an option where all parents will be able to turn off the chat so they can protect their kids.

Canning the chat for all of us is just unfair.

SOOO annoying.  These two things...ugh.  I have misclicked Yes/No more than once...

They are just messing with our routine for no apparent reason...

If little kids are being told nasty things by other players during battles, developers should create an option where all parents will be able to turn off the chat so they can protect their kids.

Canning the chat for all of us is just unfair.

There is and has always been this option already available - it is even the default setting for a child account. 

The only real reason I can see behind the choice to remove chat was likely due to the lack of moderating staff being able to sort through all the player reports and determine which reports were valid (likely a small number), and which reports were false and submitted in an attempt to troll the person being reported on (likely the bulk of reports).

Either way, it destroys one of the most important functions of a strategy game - communication.

There is and has always been this option already available - it is even the default setting for a child account. 

The only real reason I can see behind the choice to remove chat was likely due to the lack of moderating staff being able to sort through all the player reports and determine which reports were valid (likely a small number), and which reports were false and submitted in an attempt to troll the person being reported on (likely the bulk of reports).

Either way, it destroys one of the most important functions of a strategy game - communication.

I totally agree with you mate.

Something must be done.

I am surprised though about the fact that they took such a huge step without even asking us in any (suitable to them) form.

And what i really can't understand is why we don't get to choose the preset messages that we are forced to use.

This.

I have only been playing for a little over a year now, and it has been impossible to miss the fact that they always fix what is not broken, and every time they "upgrade" the client, a large percentage of old bugs come back, not counting the existing ones they never fixed, and then create a ton more!  So, the next logical thought is, why?

This is where it gets tricky, because, as I have said, PTCGO are as transparent as obama and tight lipped as lois lerner, which are very disturbing consistencies.  My money is on the server load, as since there is very little direct revenue tied to PTCGO, there is therefore very little money put into it.  With no true communication to the community, I must assume this.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I SERIOUSLY doubt that complaining moms and dads are what caused the chat to go.  Actually, I feel insulted that they are trying to feed us that, and if I am not mistaken, GO! is what is overloading the development team, not PTCGO.

This exposes the problem, that PTCGO will not tell us ANYTHING.  No struggles, no issues, no feedback.  Just silence.  I have also said that if they would just communicate to us what they are doing, and why, things would likely be smoother for them.  Sure, we would have a problem with a lot of what they do, we are, after all, human, but a true open forum would alleviate much of this, in my honest opinion.

Instead, all we have is "here, don't like it? TOO BAD! Mwa hahahahahahaha!"

Actually, I feel insulted that they are trying to feed us that, and if I am not mistaken, GO! is what is overloading the development team, not PTCGO.

If that's the case, then we have a serious problem concerning PTCGO's future.

Thank you all for your feedback. I have forwarded this thread to the proper channels so that it can be reviewed.

All our prayers might be answered after all!!

Thumbs up everyone!! :D

I would like to ask the following.  What are these "proper channels", and will these channels actually take the voiced complaints of at least a thousand users (in the forums or in the game, and the unvoiced complaints of many thousand more users) seriously.  

What a brilliant **** bomb from the cult of personality. The decision to can the chat is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. If the reason was to protect weak mimosas or children who get affected by taunts so easily then I say, **** the children.

Now we can only interact like automated answering machines. Where's the soul of the game gone?

What a brilliant **** bomb from the cult of personality. The decision to can the chat is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. If the reason was to protect weak mimosas or children who get affected by taunts so easily then I say, **** the children.

Now we can only interact like automated answering machines. Where's the soul of the game gone?

Thank you mate.

But don't say **** the children, nobody deserves to be harassed in any way.

Better say **** the toxic players and demand a better moderation on the report system.

If TPCI were doing a better job at moderation, chat would still be open for everyone and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Thank you mate.

But don't say **** the children, nobody deserves to be harassed in any way.

Better say **** the toxic players and demand a better moderation on the report system.

If TPCI were doing a better job at moderation, chat would still be open for everyone and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

This. As for the new KO animation that you questioned earlier, Samhayne revealed that it was implemented due to them reconfiguring the order of operations for Knock Outs to (in part) help with the Ninja Boy dilemma.

This. As for the new KO animation that you questioned earlier, Samhayne revealed that it was implemented due to them reconfiguring the order of operations for Knock Outs to (in part) help with the Ninja Boy dilemma.

This Ninja Boy card is a pain in the ***.

Let's hope developers will realize the mistake they've done about the chat.

Archived