Able to use Clawitzer's "Mega Boost" ability while I am under Giratina-EX's "Chaos Wheel" lock

sbskins

I am able to use Clawitzer's "Mega Boost" ability while I am under Giratina-EX's "Chaos Wheel" lock, which should not be possible. 

(AOR 57/98) Giratina-EX's "Chaos Wheel" attack reads:

"Your opponent can't play any Pokémon Tool, Special Energy, or Stadium cards from his or her hand during his or her next turn."

(STS 34/114) Clawitzer's "Mega Boost" ability reads:

"Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a Special Energy card from your hand to 1 of your Mega Evolution Pokémon."

For example, this is how the interaction should work.

Player One used Giratina-EX's Chaos Wheel attack

It is now Player Two's turn. Player two cannot use Clawitzer's "Mega Boost" ability because it is prevented by Chaos Wheel.

But you aren't trying to play a special energy card from your hand, you are using a Pokemon ability to attach a special energy. Chaos wheel does not stop abilities so it is working as intended in my opinion.

Actually, this is a bug. Chaos Wheel should prevent any and all attachments of Special Energy from the hand. If Mega Boost attached from, say, the discard pile, then it shouldn't be blocked. But it attaches from the hand, so yes, it should be blocked by the Wheel.

Wording is everything the Clawitzer ability says attach a special energy. If the ability were to say you may play a special energy from you hand even if you have already played an energy then yes it would need to fixed. But you are not playing an energy from your hand, rather the ability itself is attaching a special energy. Chaos wheel does not stop the ability so it should not stop mega boost from taking the energy and attaching it.

"Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach a Special Energy card from your hand to 1 of your Mega Evolution Pokémon."

from your hand

FROM YOUR HAND

That's the wording that matters here.

from your hand

FROM YOUR HAND

Exactly. That's why I posted this thread. There is no official compendium ruling, however, there is a ruling on the Japanese Pokemon card website, translated to English below.

q. My opponent uses Giratina's Chaos Wheel. Clawitzer lets me attach a special energy from the hand. Can I still use his ability next turn?

a. No, you can't.

from your hand

FROM YOUR HAND

You are focusing too much on the from your hand part and ignoring the other wording .on it's being played vs an ability being in use to attach it. The from your hand part is irrelevant when the ability does not involve you playing the card from your hand it is the ability that is attaching the card.

Chaos wheel stops you from taking special energy from your hand and attaching them yourself. Chaos wheel does not stop you from using abilities. The ability then directly attaches the card yes from your hand. However that is quite clearly not yourself playing the card from your hand. 

Please stop arguing.  This ruling could go either way, and I don't think any of you, myself included, know what that official ruling is.  Maybe you do, in which case I'm sorry, but it would be better to have a staff member resolve this.

You are focusing too much on the from your hand part and ignoring the other wording .on it's being played vs an ability being in use to attach it. The from your hand part is irrelevant when the ability does not involve you playing the card from your hand it is the ability that is attaching the card.

Chaos wheel stops you from taking special energy from your hand and attaching them yourself. Chaos wheel does not stop you from using abilities. The ability then directly attaches the card yes from your hand. However that is quite clearly not yourself playing the card from your hand. 

And I would argue that you're putting too much emphasis on "playing" an energy versus attaching via an ability.  The distinction is normally on cards coming from the hand versus the deck or discard.  For example, NVI Archeops prevents "playing" pokemon from your hand to evolve pokemon in play.  This includes using Rare Candy to "put" a Stage 2 on a Basic.

Also, I noticed you opened a duplicate question on pokegym.  I asked the same question 6 weeks ago to confirm whether this was a bug or not.

Ordinarily playing and attaching are the same thing.  But ordinarily secondary attachments do not come from the hand.  Therefore, this is not an ordinary situation, though the ruling would probably be that this is a bug.  If you got this confirmed, Graywh, then I think we can close this thread.  However, if it was not confirmed, I would appreciate a moderator or TPCI staff member giving us the actuality.

Ordinarily playing and attaching are the same thing.  But ordinarily secondary attachments do not come from the hand.  Therefore, this is not an ordinary situation, though the ruling would probably be that this is a bug.  If you got this confirmed, Graywh, then I think we can close this thread.  However, if it was not confirmed, I would appreciate a moderator or TPCI staff member giving us the actuality.

That thread on pokegym is still open.

Q. Does Rare Candy override evolution-preventing effects such as Archeops' "Ancient Power" Ability? A. Ancient Power does not allow you to use a Pokemon's attack or play a Trainer card to evolve your Benched or Active Pokemon, unless the Evolution card you would be putting into play comes from somewhere other than your hand. So Rare Candy cannot be used while Archeops' Ancient Power Ability is in effect. (Noble Victories FAQ; Nov 17, 2011 PUI Rules Team; Nov 21, 2011 PUI Rules Team)

based on this answer then yes "Mega Boost" should NOT be able to attach special energy from hand

Thanks for the report. The Mega Boost Ability should not allow a player to bypass the effects of the Chaos Wheel attack. I'll pass this info along to the QA team for further investigation.

Thanks for the report. The Mega Boost Ability should not allow a player to bypass the effects of the Chaos Wheel attack. I'll pass this info along to the QA team for further investigation.

Thanks, if this could go into the compendium that would be good.

Archived