Noob search for a guide

TheMinoz93

Hi guys, i'm new on PTCG and i'm searching for a guide to learn this awesome game.

I'm not new at card games (magic, hearthstone, poker,...) so i learn fast and i'm trying to learn how to improve my game (basically i'm trying to learn what is a mistake in this game)

thanks for the help

good luck and have fun

Now thar's a diffucult kwesjun.  A very good but somewhat unspecific question.  I'll give you what I can. --------- Don't attach more energy than you need unless you are in a difficult situation and your opponent has access to Hammers.  This wastes resources, your energy for the turn, and provides no advantage. ---------- Don't fill your bench early.  Unless you know there is absolutely nothing you will need/want to put down later, always leave one or two spots in case an emergency comes up. --------- Promote the free retreater.  If you have a pokemon with zero retreat cost in play and your active gets knocked out, always put that pokemon as the new active.  It gives you greater flexibility as you draw more cards and rarely has a disadvantage. ------- Wait on the stadiums.  Almost every game begins in a sort of cold war over who will play the first stadium.  Unless you A) need it to execute your strategy or b-) have plenty and want to bait your opponent into playing one, do not play the first stadium card of the game.  Simply put, the one who plays first will get countered first. -------- When you have a specific and unspecific search card, use them in the right order.  For example, Tierno is unspecific and Professor's letter is specific.  If you have both and want to play both, use the letter first so that you are less likely to draw energy with Tierno and more likely to get other good cards.  However, if you have one level ball and a tierno but need two pokemon, play tierno first to increase your odds of drawing one off him, since the level ball will work anyway. -------- When playing item/ability/anything lock, use your junk before locking.  This is obvious, but it's an easy mistake to make.  For example, always play Shaymin-EX before promoting that Woboffett.  Don't shut yourself off. -------- Use the right attacker.  Just because one pokemon can do more damage, or has more HP, does not mean you should use it.  Evaluate your opponent's position compared to your own, and switch to whoever will do the best job long-term, if possible. -------- Keep track of your supporters.  You can only play one per turn, so make sure your strategy doesn't need more than that.  Also, if you don't need to play something and it will be useful later, don't.  Try to get rid of your earlygame cards early and keep your lategame cards around. ------- Don't attach tools unnecessarily.  Make sure it is providing a benefit, that it is the best pokemon to have that tool, and that it won't need a different one later. ------- Predict your prizes.  The first time you search your deck, look through it and figure out what's missing.  If something important is prized, you don't want to play the game thinking you'll draw into it. -------- Always look ahead and total damage.  If your current strategy won't do enough to knock out your opponent, find out as soon as possible. -------- Look for worst-case scenarios.   I call this the Klazinski Method, as it is the reason for Jason Klazinski's success.  Even when you are winning, always try to see how your opponent could beat you.  Never become so absorbed in your own strategy that you don't see your opponent's.  And shut that out down. ------------ Take your time. This I call the Cawthon method, as it is the reason for Ross Cawthon's success.  Look things over.  See how they fit.  Don't be afraid to almost play a card and take it back.  And just take your time.  Heck, take more than your time.  Take some of your opponent's time, too.  It's not like they're using all of it. :P 

That's what I have.  Hopefully others will post some more.

Hi there,

There are some really good guides out there, which have sadly fallen to the bottom of the forums due to no posts and no sticky. They may be somewhat outdated by now but if you're starting off with pokemon it's still a good place to get started (what's outdated in them is mostly any specific advice regarding the meta, since it's constantly evolving. But as far as general advice, game mechanics, deckbuilding, secondary market, etc, I think these are still relevant and up to date). I'll leave you some links so that you can check them out.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/38397-a-new-player’s-guide-how-to-play-the-ptcgo-competitively/?hl=guide

This is Pokemaster's guide. It's pretty good and consice. It gives you a rundown of what you need to know for PvP.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/38903-new-to-pokemon-tcgo/?hl=guide&do=findComment&comment=450325

This is Gonzo's guide. It's a massive wall of text but it's worth the read if you have some time to kill. If you're interested on finding some specific cards, it also gives you a good rundown of how to buy from trading companies in the forums.

I was looking for harshu's guide too but sadly I can't seem to find it. This should be enough for now though. If you have any more doubts you can always come and ask here in the forums.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I am late, I have made a guide on budget decks if you want to see it, feel free to send a friend request so we can play a match or so I can give help ^_^

Sorry if I am late, I have made a guide on budget decks if you want to see it, feel free to send a friend request so we can play a match or so I can give help ^_^

There is a rule on the forums against posting on threads more than 14 days inactive, unless it is pinned. Thank you for adding your thoughts to this thread, but please check the date of the last post before posting. Thank you!

Archived