Question about deck types

BurningSun7

Sure!  Standard is the format most major events are done in, and uses only the most recent cards.  It rotates every September.  Currently, Standard goes from Primal Clash (PrC) to the newest set, which is Steam Siege (StS) right now, but soon will be Evolutions (Evo).  Expanded goes a ways further back and is used at some tournaments, allowing for more creativity.  It changes less often than standard, and currently goes from Black and White Base (B&W) to the newest set.  Legacy only exists in the TCGO, and is a way to play older cards without letting Shifty from Next Destinies (NxD) ruin the experience for everyone else, as had happened in Unlimited.  Hope this helps!

Sure!  Standard is the format most major events are done in, and uses only the most recent cards.  It rotates every September.  Currently, Standard goes from Primal Clash (PrC) to the newest set, which is Steam Siege (StS) right now, but soon will be Evolutions (Evo).  Expanded goes a ways further back and is used at some tournaments, allowing for more creativity.  It changes less often than standard, and currently goes from Black and White Base (B&W) to the newest set.  Legacy only exists in the TCGO, and is a way to play older cards without letting Shifty from Next Destinies (NxD) ruin the experience for everyone else, as had happened in Unlimited.  Hope this helps!

So standard only uses the newest cards? How can I know which cards are from the newer sets?

Also, between standard and expanded, which of those two generally have the more powerful cards?

So standard only uses the newest cards? How can I know which cards are from the newer sets?

Also, between standard and expanded, which of those two generally have the more powerful cards?

Well, for the first question, it's fairly simple.  Every card has set symbol in the bottom-right corner.  For PrC, it looks like a circle inside of a pentagon.  For Steam Siege, it looks like a small gear inside of a large one.  You can find a list of these expansion symbols in any in-game card filter, and a complete list is available at Bulbapedia. 

As for the second, there is something called the "power creep" that has been going on since Nintendo took over production of the Pokemon TCG from Wizards of the Coast more than ten years ago.  The power creep is the gradual increase in general strength from set to set and generation to generation.  Basically, B&W-sector cards are generally better than HGSS-era, and Boundaries Crossed-sector are generally better than B&W, and on and on.  However, this is just a trend, and does not apply to individual cards.  For example, Landorus-EX from boundaries crosses is regarded as one of the strongest EXs ever, despite that we have had three years of them since.  So to answer: Expanded is stronger because it has every card Standard does, plus another great deal of powerhouses like Colress, Keldeo-EX, Flareon, and (unfortunately) hypnotoxic laser.

Hey, this is a preety interesting topic for a begginer like me, he he he

¿How can I get older cards? I mean older than primal clash... Cause for the moment the app just let me get booster packs from PC to steam siege...

Thanks so much

Only standard packs can be bought in the store, except for occasional older bundles.  However, legacy tournaments and trading will always get you older stuff.

Archived