Stop Trait vs Ability

Rottanakveha

Stop trait can, but the item lock is affected on your hand and not your Pokemon. If your opponent has a vileplume in play and you have a Pokemon with Stop trait, You will still get item locked.

Edit: I don't know if Stop trait prevents opponent from shutting down your abilities ? I think it will shut your abilities (not sure tho).

As you both say, Theta Stop Ancient trait would do that.

The fact is that doesn't BLOCK the abilities, but "ignores" it. Quoting: "PREVENT all effects of your opponent's Pokémon's Abilities done to this Pokémon".

So as for example, Vileplume would continue Item locking your hand.

On the other side, Garbodor with a tool attached would shut down all abilities BUT if you play Malamar [Promo XY58] with Theta Stop, that would Prevent Malamar's Ability Contrary: "If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, whenever your opponent flips a coin during his or her turn, treat it as tails." to be shut down by Garbo.

At the end, Malamar, Celebi [Promo XY93] and Golurk [AOr35] are the ones with Theta Stop that own Abilities and would be the only ones to keep them on (if we isolate the example from all other possible factors in play).

I think it's worth noting that Marowak from FC does protect you against itemlocks. In fact if I understood the card correctly, if your opponent plays Vileplume and you have Marowak FC, your opponent will itemlock hismelf only while you're perfecly fine and not itemlocked xD

The real question for me is whether M-Sceptile EX can damage Tina through its Renegade Pulse. I would appreciate an answer this question.

That would require some testing, but the way I understand it, it doesn't allow you to get throuh Giratina's abiliy. Giratina's ability affects Giratina itself rather than its opppnent, so theta stop shouldnt be able to do anything about it. The only way to get throuh defensive buffs like that besides shutting down the ability (hex maniac, garbodor, etc), if to use an attack that ignores effects on the opponent's active pokemon.

The real question for me is whether M-Sceptile EX can damage Tina through its Renegade Pulse. I would appreciate an answer this question.

I think it's worth noting that Marowak from FC does protect you against itemlocks. In fact if I understood the card correctly, if your opponent plays Vileplume and you have Marowak FC, your opponent will itemlock hismelf only while you're perfecly fine and not itemlocked xD

That would require some testing, but the way I understand it, it doesn't allow you to get throuh Giratina's abiliy. Giratina's ability affects Giratina itself rather than its opppnent, so theta stop shouldnt be able to do anything about it. The only way to get throuh defensive buffs like that besides shutting down the ability (hex maniac, garbodor, etc), if to use an attack that ignores effects on the opponent's active pokemon.

I agree. The Tina ability it's about itself and the same with the M Scept Trait.

Tina can't be damaged by M Sceptile as Tina is protected from Mega attacks for its ability.

The Theta Stop would block any effect done to M Sceptile by Tina's ability, but the Tina's ability doesn't affect to M Scept as it only protects Tina itself.

Archived