Mega Scizor EX help

PlatinumDude

A Full Art Scizor EX was one of the first EX cards I pulled from Breakpoint. I never thought its Mega counterpart would become popular after the September rotation, so I decided to try the deck for myself. I haven't had much luck with it, really.

Pokemon:
-4 Scizor EX

-3 Mega Scizor EX

-2 Trubbish

-2 Garbodor

-1 Hoopa EX

-2 Shaymin EX

-1 Cobalion

Trainers:

-3 Prof. Sycamore

-3 N

-1 Delinquent

-1 Olympia

-1 Team Flare Grunt

-1 Pokemon Ranger

-2 Lysandre

-4 Vs. Seeker

-3 Trainers' Mail

-3 Ultra Ball

-1 Mega Turbo

-3 Scizor Spirit Link

-2 Float Stone

-1 Super Rod

-2 Crushing Hammer

-2 Enhanced Hammer

-3 Parallel City

Energy:

-9 Steel

It's a common build. Anyway I don't run Cobalion nor Delinquent nor Olympia.

Other than that I think you need 2 Mega turbo at least, and 4 Crushing hammer, as the Special energies can be discarded via effect of the Mega attack.

A 3rd Float stone can be helpful and last choice would be for a 4th Syc or N or a 2nd T Flare grunt or 3rd Megaturbo, 2nd Superrod, leave 1 En hammer... anything you feel you need while playing to be more consistent through your matches.

Of course if you still play Delinquent, Olympia and so there's no space for almost any change but I would just duplicate the deck and make minor changes to save finally the one you feel more comfortable at the end.

It's a common build. Anyway I don't run Cobalion nor Delinquent nor Olympia.

Other than that I think you need 2 Mega turbo at least, and 4 Crushing hammer, as the Special energies can be discarded via effect of the Mega attack.

A 3rd Float stone can be helpful and last choice would be for a 4th Syc or N or a 2nd T Flare grunt or 3rd Megaturbo, 2nd Superrod, leave 1 En hammer... anything you feel you need while playing to be more consistent through your matches.

Of course if you still play Delinquent, Olympia and so there's no space for almost any change but I would just duplicate the deck and make minor changes to save finally the one you feel more comfortable at the end.

The Enhanced Hammers are here to snipe special energies on the bench, or when I need to use Iron Crusher to get rid of two Special Energies at once on the Active Pokemon/get rid of a special energy and a stadium at the same time.

Anyway, I traded out an energy for a fourth Sycamore and a Lysandre for a second Mega Turbo, unless you have a better idea for what to take out in favor of it.

I think you can maybe take out one parallel city. Two should be enough to cut down your shaymins or limit the opponents bench. Mega Ray gets hurt enough by discarding their sky field with M Scizors attack and dropping the parallel city once or twice. 

I would add a 4th Ultra Ball, because you want to increase your chances to hit one in your opening hand to search for hoopa. Also Ultra Balls are a great way to discard metall energy for your mega turbos.

I think you can maybe take out one parallel city. Two should be enough to cut down your shaymins or limit the opponents bench. Mega Ray gets hurt enough by discarding their sky field with M Scizors attack and dropping the parallel city once or twice. 

I would add a 4th Ultra Ball, because you want to increase your chances to hit one in your opening hand to search for hoopa. Also Ultra Balls are a great way to discard metall energy for your mega turbos.

Noted. Thanks for this combo.

hey :) i've been playing scizor decks for a while now and personally i'd suggest the following changes:

1. add one more crushing hammer to your deck as well as one copy of team flare grunt

The reason for this is simple. You're only putting out a maximum of 120 damage a turn. Which means you HAVE to slow down anyone who can do it faster than that. 

Personally i find that even one hammer flipping heads (of the three in my deck) usually proves vital slowing my opponent's energy cycle enough for me to land an extra hit or two.

2. Add max elixirs

Again, a simple reason. You want to punish anyone who gets caught out with only one pokemon on t1. Personally i have 3 max elixirs in my deck, and i can't count the number of times i've caught an opponent napping with a single shaymin-ex or a froakie out, just waiting to be ko-ed

Plus, max elixir works on your whole deck in contrast to mega turbo which only works on m-scizor 

I run only one mega turbo and it works out pretty well for me since most of the time the game's over before i summon my third scizor (which is when energy usually starts running dry)

3. Remove delinquent

I personally don't see the point in adding a supporter version of m-scizor's attack when you already have stadiums AND m-scizor in deck. It seems pretty pointless and could be replaced with something like skyla which could prove useful pulling out that max elixir/float stone/ mega turbo/spirit link/ultra ball

4. try out a jolteon-ex

Right now, your deck is pretty much an auto-concede against fire decks. 

This hasn't had much testing (won 2/2 matches- which isn't enough to say it's a good combination) but it shows promise against the volcanion-volcanion ex decks which usually don't run even a single evolution line.

Since those decks usually burn themselves halfway through just trying to set up, it's not a far stretch to say that they'll really have to push for those lysandres. If you have a garbodor out, that means they can't even try that rare escape rope+ lysandre combo to ohko your jolteon. (pretty much ensuring it survives until they either lysandre out six prizes or lose trying)

Another useful point to note is that if you run 8 steel energy, 3 max elixirs and 2 rainbow energy, you usually have jolteon set up by turn 2 which is usually earlier than they can get the ko on you.

Also, jolteon provides that option of retreating into scizor for 110 after each time your pokemon gets ko-ed

5. remove pokemon ranger

Not really sure against which pokemon it helps your list. If it's just for regice, you can swap it out for the aforementioned flare grunts and hammers. those more than keep regice in check.

hey :) i've been playing scizor decks for a while now and personally i'd suggest the following changes:

1. add one more crushing hammer to your deck as well as one copy of team flare grunt

The reason for this is simple. You're only putting out a maximum of 120 damage a turn. Which means you HAVE to slow down anyone who can do it faster than that. 

Personally i find that even one hammer flipping heads (of the three in my deck) usually proves vital slowing my opponent's energy cycle enough for me to land an extra hit or two.

2. Add max elixirs

Again, a simple reason. You want to punish anyone who gets caught out with only one pokemon on t1. Personally i have 3 max elixirs in my deck, and i can't count the number of times i've caught an opponent napping with a single shaymin-ex or a froakie out, just waiting to be ko-ed

Plus, max elixir works on your whole deck in contrast to mega turbo which only works on m-scizor 

I run only one mega turbo and it works out pretty well for me since most of the time the game's over before i summon my third scizor (which is when energy usually starts running dry)

3. Remove delinquent

I personally don't see the point in adding a supporter version of m-scizor's attack when you already have stadiums AND m-scizor in deck. It seems pretty pointless and could be replaced with something like skyla which could prove useful pulling out that max elixir/float stone/ mega turbo/spirit link/ultra ball

4. try out a jolteon-ex

Right now, your deck is pretty much an auto-concede against fire decks. 

This hasn't had much testing (won 2/2 matches- which isn't enough to say it's a good combination) but it shows promise against the volcanion-volcanion ex decks which usually don't run even a single evolution line.

Since those decks usually burn themselves halfway through just trying to set up, it's not a far stretch to say that they'll really have to push for those lysandres. If you have a garbodor out, that means they can't even try that rare escape rope+ lysandre combo to ohko your jolteon. (pretty much ensuring it survives until they either lysandre out six prizes or lose trying)

Another useful point to note is that if you run 8 steel energy, 3 max elixirs and 2 rainbow energy, you usually have jolteon set up by turn 2 which is usually earlier than they can get the ko on you.

Also, jolteon provides that option of retreating into scizor for 110 after each time your pokemon gets ko-ed

5. remove pokemon ranger

Not really sure against which pokemon it helps your list. If it's just for regice, you can swap it out for the aforementioned flare grunts and hammers. those more than keep regice in check.

I'll see about Jolteon, but I'm unsure about the Max Elixirs. They work best in decks that run around 10+ basic energies, IMO. Glaceon and Regice are why I have Ranger in the deck. As for Delinquent, it's for when I don't have Mega Scizor out yet and I need to get rid of the opposing stadium, plus I can use that and an Iron Crusher to get rid of a stadium and an active special energy at once; other than this, I can see why you want me to remove it.

Also, I already have a Team Flare Grunt in the deck. Only one copy is fine, as it can be recovered with Vs. Seeker. If you still want me to put Max Elixirs, Jolteon, and Rainbow Energy in, what should I get rid of?

oh right i missed that flare grunt when i was looking through your list. 

I'd still suggest taking out that delinquent however since there's hardly any chance you'll need it. I honestly think the only place you could need it is m-ray and that is if you cannot draw a stadium AND don't have garbo out. Honestly i don't feel it's worth the effort it is to find it and throw it into discard. (and more often than not it's going to be a dead card)

Also, i'm not sure if you need those trainer mails. I personally never really understood the point of them. Since your deck has many techs, they won't improve consistency in any way and instead you could throw in those elixirs i was talking about.

I would suggest 8 metal energy and 2 rainbow energy (since you only really need one elixir to fire off to finish energizing a scizor in a turn) and that means you don't need a 90%+ success rate with each. The 80+ you get from 8 energy should probably cut it.

Another reason i suggest elixir over mega turbo is since mega turbo isn't as versatile. Considering that you need time to get garbo out, you need that energy acceleration quick to assault those giratina-exs and those regices/glaceons

Also, i doubt your deck should really fear either glaceon or regice. Consider what i'm looking at. You have 1 flare grunt and 4 vs seekers (for a total of 5 energy discarded) + 3 hammers (if you add another in like i suggested)

Regice needs 3 energy to attack meaning you will always energize first. If he starts energizing on the bench, you can attempt to hammer him OR Lysandre, OR attack once he sends it in.

Far too many options for you to be worried i believe.

And if after all that, one regice slips through, just let one of your scizors get ko-ed and use a cobalion to sweep (90 damage will sweep regice with belt and glaceon-ex without a belt)

As for glaceon, i doubt that should be a problem since a single retreat to a benched scizor gives you two prizes. (I honestly cherish those regice-glaceon matchups since they usually go so well for me)

one more suggestion, try adding a third float stone. I didn't think i needed it, but it works like a charm for me

oh right i missed that flare grunt when i was looking through your list. 

I'd still suggest taking out that delinquent however since there's hardly any chance you'll need it. I honestly think the only place you could need it is m-ray and that is if you cannot draw a stadium AND don't have garbo out. Honestly i don't feel it's worth the effort it is to find it and throw it into discard. (and more often than not it's going to be a dead card)

Also, i'm not sure if you need those trainer mails. I personally never really understood the point of them. Since your deck has many techs, they won't improve consistency in any way and instead you could throw in those elixirs i was talking about.

I would suggest 8 metal energy and 2 rainbow energy (since you only really need one elixir to fire off to finish energizing a scizor in a turn) and that means you don't need a 90%+ success rate with each. The 80+ you get from 8 energy should probably cut it.

Another reason i suggest elixir over mega turbo is since mega turbo isn't as versatile. Considering that you need time to get garbo out, you need that energy acceleration quick to assault those giratina-exs and those regices/glaceons

Also, i doubt your deck should really fear either glaceon or regice. Consider what i'm looking at. You have 1 flare grunt and 4 vs seekers (for a total of 5 energy discarded) + 3 hammers (if you add another in like i suggested)

Regice needs 3 energy to attack meaning you will always energize first. If he starts energizing on the bench, you can attempt to hammer him OR Lysandre, OR attack once he sends it in.

Far too many options for you to be worried i believe.

And if after all that, one regice slips through, just let one of your scizors get ko-ed and use a cobalion to sweep (90 damage will sweep regice with belt and glaceon-ex without a belt)

As for glaceon, i doubt that should be a problem since a single retreat to a benched scizor gives you two prizes. (I honestly cherish those regice-glaceon matchups since they usually go so well for me)

one more suggestion, try adding a third float stone. I didn't think i needed it, but it works like a charm for me

Just about every deck uses Trainers' Mail for deck thinning. This is why I'm using it. I already added in a third Crushing Hammer before your first post.

Just about every deck uses Trainers' Mail for deck thinning. This is why I'm using it. I already added in a third Crushing Hammer before your first post.

but do you need to thin your deck? i mean it's not exactly the fastest deck out there, so i doubt you really need to. Your call though

but do you need to thin your deck? i mean it's not exactly the fastest deck out there, so i doubt you really need to. Your call though

This is the current list I have after some of your suggestions. Still trying to wrap my head around Jolteon and Rainbow Energies:

Pokemon:

-4 Scizor EX

-3 Mega Scizor EX

-2 Trubbish

-2 Garbodor

-1 Hoopa EX

-2 Shaymin EX

-1 Cobalion

Trainers:

-4 Prof. Sycamore

-3 N

-1 Skyla

-1 Olympia

-1 Team Flare Grunt

-1 Lysandre

-4 Vs. Seeker

-3 Trainers' Mail

-4 Ultra Ball

-2 Mega Turbo

-3 Scizor Spirit Link

-2 Float Stone

-1 Super Rod

-3 Crushing Hammer

-1 Enhanced Hammer

-2 Parallel City

Energy:

-8 Steel

I really like that list. Don't put Jolteon in there, it is not worth it. Your opponent can play around it with Ranger, Lysandre. Especially Volcanion decks usually always run Ranger, so it doesn't help you at all, makes your deck inconsistent. Rainbow Energies also don't work with Mega Turbo. Jolteon will only help you against noobs. 

I really like that list. Don't put Jolteon in there, it is not worth it. Your opponent can play around it with Ranger, Lysandre. Especially Volcanion decks usually always run Ranger, so it doesn't help you at all, makes your deck inconsistent. Rainbow Energies also don't work with Mega Turbo. Jolteon will only help you against noobs.

well actually jolteon-ex has 160 hp and m-scizor decks run garbodor meaning that his opponent would need two rangers to actually ko it. (which he'd obviously try and replace with lysandre. So as long as you use parallel city to remove any unnecessary benched pokemon on your side, you should be fine since chances are he'll be forced to ko the jolteon in the end. That'd make for approx 2 lysandres + 2 vs seekers or 2+ 1 ranger+ 1 vs seeker which is a fair amount of resources to have to draw with ability lock on) If nothing else, it provides him with some time to set up and usually provides some stuff to target with your own lysandres (since garbodor usually comes in a turn after jolteon starts and your opponent uses his shays in a frenzy)

Which makes for at least a bit of pressure considering you'll be hammering and using flare grunt and whatever else you can to disrupt his energy. I'm currently 50-50 vs volcanion decks (i think it'll drop to 60-40 soon, but i still feel it's better than going into the matchup knowing you'll lose)

But you also have to setup your Jolteon first, which will cost you 3 Energies and 3 turns and Jolteons attack is only a 3 shot on Baby Volc with fighting fury belt. And if I am the volcanion player and I see somebody power up a jolteon, I will try and lysandre it out so I get the first hit or I Lysandre the Garbodor and then can One shot the jolteon. Also you have only 150 HP, because of the rainbow energy. And somtimes you are forced to put rainbow energy on your Scizor, which will hurt the bulk of it, what makes M Scizor strong. Of course you are right it can help maybe sometimes against Volcanion, even if I think it is just to slow, it won't help you at all in most other matchups and the rainbow energies will hurt you, not compatible with M Turbo + 10 damage to your own pokemon. 

But you also have to setup your Jolteon first, which will cost you 3 Energies and 3 turns and Jolteons attack is only a 3 shot on Baby Volc with fighting fury belt. And if I am the volcanion player and I see somebody power up a jolteon, I will try and lysandre it out so I get the first hit or I Lysandre the Garbodor and then can One shot the jolteon. Also you have only 150 HP, because of the rainbow energy. And somtimes you are forced to put rainbow energy on your Scizor, which will hurt the bulk of it, what makes M Scizor strong. Of course you are right it can help maybe sometimes against Volcanion, even if I think it is just to slow, it won't help you at all in most other matchups and the rainbow energies will hurt you, not compatible with M Turbo + 10 damage to your own pokemon. 

this is a pretty vague argument between the two of us since neither of us have had any REAL testing (i've battled against around 20 volcanion decks but i don't feel that's enough to really boast about)

1. you have 3 max elixirs each of which has 80% + chance of landing an energy onto jolteon. This provides plenty of speed (much more than volcanion-ex can ever achieve and volcanion baby- i doubt anyone would lysandre you for a measly 20-30 damage

2. when someone has to lysandre a card and then pokemon ranger immediately it means you need a lot of resources (you need to have at least those two cards in a hand, and even if you run 4 of each + 4 vs seekers that'd still be less than 50% chance of success on a given seven cards)

This means even lysandreing a garbodor will probably buy you an extra turn-turn and a half in the middle to set up another.

Also, what happens if you just lysandre a benched volcanion? without draw, he's pretty much stuck with that in active even if he's planning a massive ranger (or he has to botch and draw to release the lock)

3. rainbow energy is 10 damage onto a pokemon. A scizor is rarely  ever going to find itself with 10 damage left (since you most of the time need 2hko's - meaning the damage is most likely a multiple of two. Either you ko it anyways or you don't ko it anyways. That 10 isn't going to make a difference except in the rarest cases. )

Besides the odds of drawing a rainbow to a metal energy is 4:1 so if you don't need it, you're probably not going to have to play it. (since drawing 7 cards means more often than not you'll get a metal energy in hand (8 metal in deck)

Lastly, about mega turbo. I do admit that's slightly inconvenient, but then again only slightly. The 4:1 ratio of basic to special energy means that you're likely to have 4 basic energy in discard by the time you get one special in discard. That's your four mega turbos right there. Even on your best draw, you won't be able to summon a mega before turn two and if you can't get one out of eight energy in discard, i'd work on the build itself/playing style rather than the two special energy in there

Anyways, i've made my points and you've made yours. I personally feel i've been more open to your views and logical about my expression of views here, but then again that's only my opinion. Hopefully i've convinced you to at least think about a possible alternative. If not, well i don't really mind. I probably won't be spending more time on this thread though (i don't have any more suggestions) but if you have any further doubts/arguments, feel free to pm them to me

Archived