"Next" Set Discussion Thread - Current Set Is Evolutions

pokemasterTz

Current Set: Evolutions

Hey guys! Since my Steam Siege discussion thread was fairly successful and generated some cool discussion, I'm just going to make a thread where people can continually discuss the "next" set coming out. If you want to see the leaks, go to a Beach of Pokemon (You know where) and check them out. This thread can be used to discuss anything about the next set coming out, such as card standouts, possible deck-lists, the impact on the meta, cool artwork etc. 

Rules:

1) Please follow the forum rules. Failure to follow any of them will result in me asking you to refrain from further posting in this thread (only in extreme cases).

2) Be respectful to your fellow community members. Everyone has their opinion, and please respect that. Constructive criticism is welcomed, and likewise differing opinions, but rude, insulting and offensive posts are strictly prohibited. No flamewars, insults, or anything like that. Please make sure your posts add to this thread, and are positive and friendly.

3) Stay on-topic. As long as your post has something to do with decks for the new format, Steam Siege, or rotation, your fine, but don't wander off. This one is pretty broad, so don't worry about it that much.

4) When you are posting, try as much as you can to include the information for the card you are referencing. Remember, not everyone has seen these yet, since they are leaked, and it would help keep the thread nice and clean.

5) As usual, any action or comment related to the subject of "fun" is strictly prohibited. Failure to comply with this regulation will result in severe punishment, including, but not limited to: receiving a +1 on your post, getting a reply with one or more smiley emoji, and positive replies to your comment/post. If you see a "positive" or fun-related post, as a Pokemon community member, it is your moral obligation to enforce these punishments.

Please consider leaving a +1 if this was of any use. Thanks, and I hope that everyone finds this thread at least somewhat helpful :)

The evolutions cards that look pretty good to me are the following (in no order):

Mewtwo

Mew

Beedrill

Brock's Guts

Starmie

Prof. Oak's Hint

Dragonite EX

Ninetails BREAK

Venasaur Spirit Link

Mega venusaur is a really strong card so yeah agreed that venu link is good.

My list would be :

1) First of all Ninetales BREAK : I find it really really good there are toh of ways to move energies and mostly you will need only 3 or less energies for OHKOing.

2) Mewtwo : looks like a solid non ex basic attacker against M Mewtwo Ys, your opponent more likely will play about 6 energies on their M Mewtwo Y which is enough to take a KO With Mewtwo.

3) Starmie : It looks like a nice replacement to decks like Archie's/Keldeo we can try to make some place for a 1-1/2-2 line or maybe just 2 Starmies and get them through Archie's in mid game. Discard exeggute, get 2 Energies back, OP.

It might help greninja break decks too. Overall starmie will see play imo.

4) Dragonite ex : is nice both on the attack side and ability. I think ss M Garde have got a tech. Use Dragonite ex get Hoopa and some other ex out or maybe 2 hoopas play them get 6 pokemons bench put one yourself fill your bench and DISCARD!!!! Obviously with a sky field. It will help M Ray Decks too Brocks Guts And Dragonite ex is a nice combo in ss garde deck.

5) M Charizard ex : will be played in expanded for sure with protection cube and SMITHS. Reason why it's on No 5 is because i only play expanded have no interest in standard so I don't really care much :P I have tons of idea with this new set and I'm totally lovin it.

6) Starmie BREAK : mint see play as a backup attacker to snipe benched BREAKS.

7) Brocks Guts : can help out M Rays a bit. I think it'll soon become a staple.

8) Beedrill : looks really nice to me, you can do ton of damage to your opponents bench. If you go first you can get good chances of dealing a good amount of damage next turn. I do think I'll play in expanded with D Valley/Mew Ex/Wide lens but still there are ways.

9) Oaks hint : is pretty good too.

10) Maybe just Maybe The Reg charizard will see play.

11) Machamp BREAK and Nidoking BREAK are okish.

I like it and I like the idea of balancing out old cards and hope they continue to do this because the power creep has cut off all the older cards from play). It's especially cool to see cards I have the physicals of getting rebalanced and such... that being said there's some things I noticed and that others have noticed I don't like much.

1. Another mewtwo ex? i like mewtwo as much as the next guy but do we need yet another one? This is like how in steam siege we got another gardevoir... when we already had the generations gardevoir. I really want to see EX pokemon who need the EX treatment, not repeats who already have like 3 different EX cards (not including FAs).

2. Too many charicards aka charizards. Where's the venusaur/blastoise line? Omitted. Seems like in general fire is getting a lot of time in the lime light... 

3. Rattata retreat cost added. Really? Why make it useful then all of a sudden add one retreat cost. Its a rat... it should be able to scurry away without needing a whole energy -_-. At least its some form of tool removal though it doesnt matter if garbodor is already evolved.

Other than that I like brock guts, spirit links for gen 1 starter exs, the new breaks and a lot of the new exs.

Brock’s Guts – Trainer
Supporter
Shuffle 6 in any combination of Pokemon and basic Energy cards from your discard pile back into your deck.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Professor Oak’s Hint – Trainer
Supporter
If you use this card, your turn ends.
Draw cards until you have 7 cards in your hand.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Another mewtwo ex?

Mewtwo is the peak of all things awesome. You cannot contain Mewtwo in one card, so they release multiple in each set he's in. (Citations: XY Mewtwo promos with identical attacks, 11 Mewtwo cards in BREAKthrough, FAs in Next Destines, Mewtwo Lv.X in DP:LT.) Besides, so much awesomeness keeps trolls like Giratina and Seismitoad humble.

Mewtwo is the peak of all things awesome. You cannot contain Mewtwo in one card, so they release multiple in each set he's in. (Citations: XY Mewtwo promos with identical attacks, 11 Mewtwo cards in BREAKthrough, FAs in Next Destines, Mewtwo Lv.X in DP:LT.) Besides, so much awesomeness keeps trolls like Giratina and Seismitoad humble.

Even in the Base Set, there was a foil and non-foil version.  Duplicates, duplicates, duplicates.

Cant wait for Dragonite EX and Machamp Break. Gonna try Machamp Break with something out like a 3-2-3-3 line (using Gen/FuF line) with x2-3 Machamp EXs + Ninja Boy for steady power and fast, unsuspected 1HKOs. And I just love Dragonite, one of my favorites. I'll be trying Dragonite EX in my M Ray deck like Mextwo said also.

I'm sure Oaks Hint and Brocks guts are going to see heavy use. I know I'll be trying them out. They look great. Then there's the energies and the original trainer look coming back. That to me is the most nostalgic part visually, the trainers. They immediately catch my eye and bring me back. Personally, I like this set already.  :wub:  

. Personally, I like this set already.  :wub:

Agreed, the set has a lot of playable trainers aside from that the old artworks looks amazing :D so I will gladly collect those cards. Brock's Gut, in my opinion, 1 copy of it will be used in most decks. Oaks hint is 1 Card better shaymin ex :D Oaks hint is probably one card that I would love to play. It's like a sycamore when Oak is the last card.

Agreed, the set has a lot of playable trainers aside from that the old artworks looks amazing :D so I will gladly collect those cards. Brock's Gut, in my opinion, 1 copy of it will be used in most decks. Oaks hint is 1 Card better shaymin ex :D Oaks hint is probably one card that I would love to play. It's like a sycamore when Oak is the last card.

Yeah I didn't want to be the first to compare Oaks Hint to Shaymin. But it could honestly be the best contender for a cheap Shaymin replacement yet! And even though its a supporter, that may be better for some decks. Plus it doesn't leave 2 prize cards up for an easy Lysandre bait 1HKO to fear. Even leaving Octillery as Lysandre bait can really hurt sometimes. But the the ending of the turn is what will keep Shaymin as the king of draw power I think.  ^_^

Then Brocks Guts is going to make it easier to run trainer heavy decks even for setups that need more Pokemon. I get giddy just thinking about these two lol.  :lol:

Yeah I didn't want to be the first to compare Oaks Hint to Shaymin. But it could honestly be the best contender for a cheap Shaymin replacement yet! And even though its a supporter, that may be better for some decks. Plus it doesn't leave 2 prize cards up for an easy Lysandre bait 1HKO to fear. Even leaving Octillery as Lysandre bait can really hurt sometimes. But the the ending of the turn is what will keep Shaymin as the king of draw power I think. ^_^

Then Brocks Guts is going to make it easier to run trainer heavy decks even for setups that need more Pokemon. I get giddy just thinking about these two lol. :lol:

I don't really see how Prof Oak's Hint can be useful. If you have 5 cards it's like using a Tierno but it ends your turn. If you have less than that why not just sycamore which doesn't end your turn yet still puts your hand size to 7.

Since it is a supporter you can't go sycamore>tips like you can with tropical beach.

And once you want to go on the offensive Oak's hint becomes completely useless.

I don't really see how Prof Oak's Hint can be useful. If you have 5 cards it's like using a Tierno but it ends your turn. If you have less than that why not just sycamore which doesn't end your turn yet still puts your hand size to 7.

Since it is a supporter you can't go sycamore>tips like you can with tropical beach.

And once you want to go on the offensive Oak's hint becomes completely useless.

You don't always want to dicard your hand :) I saw many people playing 3-4 Syca/juniper but I personally play only 2 unless it's something like vespiquen or night march.

Edit: oh wait !! I didn't read that it ends your turn :( that's a big downside of playing oak.

Edit 2: 1 copy of oak can still work in some worst cases. But I don't really like how it ends your turn. Bianca still better.

Honestly, Oaks Hint is not that bad guys. There will be a use for it in decks that use the likes of Garbodor simply because like Mextwo said theres times you don't want to discard. Like if you are running an item heavy deck (which usually pairs well with Shaymin if you catch my drift) you don't want to discard that hand every time. Sometimes especially if you can't attack anyway, you want to run your item cards out. You can do that with Oaks Hint now by running your hand out and drawing 7 new cards.

If you don't want to discard, Lass's Special and Tierno are always options.  I think ending your turn is too much of a disadvantage for any deck to run more than one or two copies.

If you don't want to discard, Lass's Special and Tierno are always options.  I think ending your turn is too much of a disadvantage for any deck to run more than one or two copies.

Yea I personally wouldn't play more than 1 oak. I will save it for the time when I can't attack.

Professor Oak rushes up to you, he appears to have something he wants to tell you. This could be important, you command your pokemon to hold fire. He leans in close to whisper something into your ear, its barely audible "Lawl, don't bother with my hints... ". You look at him, puzzled, because you find yourself brimming with energy, resources and new possibilities... "Silly old man, I got what I needed" you say, smirking. Suddenly you look around in confusion, something is wrong. Its not your turn anymore and now you notice N walk into the room, a smile on his face. "W-Wait!" you stammer "It's not time yet! It's too soon!", but its too late. You forgot what the hint was, you forgot everything. 

Yeah I didn't mean to run 3-4. Just 1 would be nice to play around with though.

Anyway, I think Brocks Guts is gonna be awesome in M Ray decks also. Get more pokemon on the bench when they get discarded. Plus bring Shays and Hoopas back this way as well. Cant wait to try him out and see just how much guts hes got.  :lol:

Even in the Base Set, there was a foil and non-foil version.  Duplicates, duplicates, duplicates.

Yep, don't forget the promos with different art (same attack)

Plus Team Rocket's Mewtwo was tha bomb back in the day :D

Yeah I didn't mean to run 3-4. Just 1 would be nice to play around with though.

Why not run Giovanni's Scheme ??? How many cards people have in their hands anyway? I mostly have 1-2 left at the end of the turns.   :P

Why not run Giovanni's Scheme ??? How many cards people have in their hands anyway? I mostly have 1-2 left at the end of the turns.   :P

Yeah usually around 1-3 at most, if not an empty hand now again. But that's a good point. I have a tradelocked FA for him as well and I totally forgot till now.  :lol:

On the subject of Oak's Hint, I doubt it will be used that much, but it could see some niche play. I doubt it would be half as effective, but it could be sort of a budget tropical beach for expanded decks.

okay, I'm going to sound old and super nostalgic here.

Man I just drool when I see that reinvented first gen Charizard, brings back so much memories and in all fairness, the card isn't exactly bad either (though without blacksmith it does lose some potential in actual use)

I have a question

the packs from evolutions 

can we buy packs from evolutions with tokens ? or it's gonna be like generations that it's outside

Archived