Anti-Squatter measures for the Tournaments? At least Legacy?

Joneithevius

There is currently a stagnancy issue in the tournaments- Legacy to be specific.

the Legacy tournament is pretty much dominated by the same few no-fun-allowed squatters with the exact same generic deck (Anyone who tried legacy at least once should know the one- Keldeo, Electross, and Rayquaza) who just squat in the room all day long winning with the surefire deck.

This is a spit in the face for any post-Legacy players because not only the Legacy tournament is just about the only way to get older cards, but it's also pretty much the only way to get the cards for that overpowered deck that the squatters are using to monopolize the winnings, forming a Catch-22.

Not only that, but it's encouraging stagnation in which everyone has to have the same deck to even have a chance at winning, which is unbalanced and goes against the spirit of Pokemon TCG.

Rather than banning a few cards (which would probably incite a lot of tantrums) how about pinning a cooldown period on the tournaments? Make it so that you can only participate each tournament once or twice per day. This would probably reduce tournament frequency, but in exchange make it so that the squatters will have to take a break and actually play something else for a change, giving everyone else a chance at actually winning a place.

Until something like this is implemented, the Legacy room is stagnating and discouraging all new players.

Rayquaza/Eelektrik/Keldeo is strong, but not unbeatable. Even if it was by far the best deck, there is nothing wrong with using the best deck in a tournament setting. If you're having trouble beating it with your deck, try using Weavile/Exeggcute or Landorus/Garbodor/Mewtwo. They're not guaranteed to win, but they stand a very good chance.

Oh look, a squatter.

But seriously though, did you even bother to read my post? The issue is that the room is practically monopolized and given it's the only surefire way to get older cards, "just get a better deck" is a catch-22 for anyone who arrived too late to get much in the way of legacy cards, and would have to hope that the squatters don't make too much of an unreasonable demand in exchange for the cards they've been monopolizing.

I like how you keep using "squatter" as some sort of an insult. I was trying to give helpful advice, but I guess you don't want that.

Here's a better solution than restricting people from playing something they enjoy: putting Legacy packs in the token shop.

It was an attempted joke about the fact that you immediately used the same "lol get the same deck as us or get out" rhetoric I keep getting spammed by elitists when I question why everyone is using the same deck.

You're not even 'playing' it at that point, you're just spending all day long grinding in the room so you can get all the packs so to use them to extort newer players. :V Might as well complain that anti-botting measures are restricting you from doing something you... "enjoy".

Also, you're still avoiding my point about the catch-22 situation.

I feel like limiting tournament entry per day wouldn't be a good idea primarily because of the waiting times (particularly in Legacy format).

Whilst I haven't played recently... I remember that particularly at certain times of day the waiting times are already very long - sometimes about 10-20 minutes even; so if you were to limit entrance to tournaments further you could be waiting 30 minutes+ just to play in a tournament at certain times of day.

Generally speaking it's not too difficult nowadays to use those newer set packs (standard/expanded) to trade for most HS-era cards without too much difficulty. Yes there are exceptions (like Celebi Prime); but if you go for regular arts of a deck like Rayquaza (with Promo Rayquazas, Eels and Sky Arrow Bridge instead of Tropical Beach) I see no real reason why the deck is any harder to build than a standard deck of reasonable quality - which are often reliant on cards like Shaymin EX RS in multiple copies (of which one copy could practically buy you half of a legacy deck).

Ultimately it's pretty much a fact of any TCG that you will have certain decks which are stronger than others - but imo actually Legacy format has more diversity than standard/expandedd format in many respects. Between Blastoise, Eels, Accelgor, VirGen/Celebi, Durant, Plasma Lugia, Plasma Kyurem, Land/Garb, Darkrai, Sable/Garb, Aggron, Weavile/Eggs and loads of other rogue decks there are (if you can get the cards) a great variety of competitive decks which can be built. 

(why is that word even censored? what is with this filter?) I think the real reason why there's such long waiting times is because most players don't want to play in the tournaments anymore thanks to the elitists monopolizing them. It's certainly put me and several of my friends off.

It doesn't have to be once per day restriction, try different numbers to see what's balanced enough, maybe? Just make it so that we don't have to deal with the same few min-maxer no-fun-allowed players spamming the tournament all day long (or at least until they run out then buy/grind for more tickets) and the rooms are allowed to be a bit more varied rather than all the same stagnated deck over and over again. Let newer players have a chance and some room to breathe.

It's like trying to participate in a TCG tournament with a custom built deck, only to find out that the same five or so guys have been participating the tournament every single time with all the same generic 'sure-fire' deck that reduces you to only having the choice of getting the same deck or an equally generic counter-deck if you want even a faint hope of winning. At that point, it's not even a TCG anymore, it's glorified rock-paper-scissors.

The fact that you are asking the TCG staff to limit tournament participation "so everyone else can win sometimes" is laughable.  Extremely laughable.  If I enter my one tournament and lose, I'm not allowed to play any more tournaments for the day.  Yeah, that's also against the spirit of the Pokémon TCG.

What they need to do is not limit participation, but make the PACKS for the expansions permitted available for purchase in the shop.  There.  Problem solved.

I think the real reason why there's such long waiting times is because most players don't want to play in the tournaments anymore thanks to the elitists monopolizing them. It's certainly put me and several of my friends off.

I think that assumption is a pretty far stretch.  More likely people just don't have the cards to make an even remotely competitive deck.

Here's a better solution than restricting people from playing something they enjoy: putting Legacy packs in the token shop.

DING!

(why is that word even censored? what is with this filter?) I think the real reason why there's such long waiting times is because most players don't want to play in the tournaments anymore thanks to the elitists monopolizing them. It's certainly put me and several of my friends off.

I believe the reason Tournaments take a while to fill is due to the doubled entry cost, as the Tournaments used to all cost 4 Tickets. Since it is more expensive to enter, it's less likely to attract new players unless they feel they have a deck that is "meta" enough to stand a chance. I remember legacy Tournaments used to fill up in a couple of minutes at most a couple months ago before they changed it.

I believe the reason Tournaments take a while to fill is due to the doubled entry cost, as the Tournaments used to all cost 4 Tickets. Since it is more expensive to enter, it's less likely to attract new players unless they feel they have a deck that is "meta" enough to stand a chance. I remember legacy Tournaments used to fill up in a couple of minutes at most a couple months ago before they changed it.

Yeah if you enter any tournament you should expect everyone to have meta decks (even though that usually isn't the case).

If it makes you feel any better, I won 2 Legacy tournaments tonight with Sharpedo Fliptini.  :cool:  And I played 5 different decks out of 6 rounds (Weavile Eggs was the only deck that showed up twice). So there is quite a bit of variety (more than Standard at least).

sounds more like someone mad cause they can't come up with a good deck for legacy. try plasma poke, that deck use to ruin legacy, now ver/gen does. same as weavile and sabyle.

but then you got those very powerful old old time cards. who can come in and ruin your game with just a special effect on them.

there is a strategy to beat any deck, just need to figure it out. thats what a master is. they find a weakness to decks and uses them.

There is currently a stagnancy issue in the tournaments- Legacy to be specific.

the Legacy tournament is pretty much dominated by the same few no-fun-allowed squatters with the exact same generic deck (Anyone who tried legacy at least once should know the one- Keldeo, Electross, and Rayquaza) who just squat in the room all day long winning with the surefire deck.

This is a spit in the face for any post-Legacy players because not only the Legacy tournament is just about the only way to get older cards, but it's also pretty much the only way to get the cards for that overpowered deck that the squatters are using to monopolize the winnings, forming a Catch-22.

Not only that, but it's encouraging stagnation in which everyone has to have the same deck to even have a chance at winning, which is unbalanced and goes against the spirit of Pokemon TCG.

Rather than banning a few cards (which would probably incite a lot of tantrums) how about pinning a cooldown period on the tournaments? Make it so that you can only participate each tournament once or twice per day. This would probably reduce tournament frequency, but in exchange make it so that the squatters will have to take a break and actually play something else for a change, giving everyone else a chance at actually winning a place.

Until something like this is implemented, the Legacy room is stagnating and discouraging all new players.

forgive me for disagreeing, but i personally feel that your "catch-22" is slightly exaggerated here.

To find out why, we'd need to ask- what would a person do with his legacy rewards. Of course if he just kept them all to himself your argument would be much more appealing in my eyes. However currently most of the legacy players just post trades out on public with their legacy packs. I agree that not all of them are amazing trades, but like the rest of the trades, there are a few good ones you can always accept (this is assuming you don't want to take the effort to post your own trades)

Nextly, i do admit that legacy is a bit of a stale format (we've reached something of an equilibrium in the format and knowing that there will always be the exact same meta kinda sucks).

But i feel that your choice of deck to highlight is again wrong. Weavile eggs, celebi-genesect and lando-garb are the highest ranked decks with ray-eels being something of a tier-2 or a tier-3 deck.

And yes, the only real way for us to fix legacy is to make hgss-bw packs available elsewhere (at least allow us to get them in expanded which is a more diverse and entertaining format)

Archived