Top Standard decks?

Rainbow-XN

So, which do you think are the top Standard decks at the moment?

I would say (the order is random)

1. Rainbow Road

2. Volcanion/Volcanion EX

3. M Scizor/Garbodor

4. M Mewtwo Y/Garbodor

5. M Ray (Emerald Break)

6. Darkrai/Giratina

7. Xerneas BREAK/Giratina

I definitely forget some. If I was about to rank them, I would say:

1. M Scizor/Garbo

2. M Ray

3. Volca

4. M Mewtwo

5. Rainbow

6. Xer BREAK/Gira

7. Darkrai/Gira

I would like to see your suggestions/experiences and what you think in general of the new Standard meta :)

Vespiquen decks are still very strong, even after the loss of battle compressor.  Vespiquen/Vileplume in particular is probably in there, perhaps pushing out rainbow road as no.5.

Vespiquen decks are still very strong, even after the loss of battle compressor.  Vespiquen/Vileplume in particular is probably in there, perhaps pushing out rainbow road as no.5.

You sure about that? Vespi was always weak against M Mewtwo with Shrine of Memories and now that it is stalled due to the lack of Battle Compressor, I think it makes it even easier for MM to take it down. Correct me if I'm wrong :P

I hope this doesn't offend people, but srs. Looking to copy other decks rather than creating your own shows a lack of talent and dedication right from the start.

I hope this doesn't offend people, but srs. Looking to copy other decks rather than creating your own shows a lack of talent and dedication right from the start.

I agree with you that copying other decks shows lack of creativity I would say. But! Taking inspiration from other decks and trying to make them your own way without copying the exact decklist is pretty understandable to me.

I mean, not all cards can make a powerful deck and it is reasonable to see some decks again and again. Me for example, I've been using Psychic Infinity M Mewtwo since June and I've upgraded it to a standard version 2 weeks before the rotation. I was using Deoxys from Roaring Skies as a supportive Pokemon but then I saw someone who was using the Pokemon that nullifies abilities when you attach a tool to it (cencored if I write its name) and I decided to run it instead of Deoxys.

So that's what I call inspiration rather thank pure copying/pasting.

Most people think that Yveltal EX is dead, but mine still works great. Sure it isn't great against Rainbow Road, but it's not like that is an unwinable matchup, and I will take Yveltal over anything else in the format other than M Ray. I would easily still put it in my top 5. 

1. Rainbow Road

2. M Mewtwo/Garbodor

3. M Ray

4. Yveltal EX

5. Volcanion EX/Baby

Then I hope you're not too annoyed with deck archtypes in general. There will always be a select few types of decks that are considered more competitively viable than others and will be used more often than others. And besides, I don't think many people actually copy other's decks 100% and even if they do, what's the matter? Maybe you see this rainbow road having 3 N and another having 2 N or another having a float stone which another doesn't but they will mostly be the same. And it would be simply selfish if only one person in the entire world is allowed to use Rainbow Road.

So yeah I don't think there is anything wrong with copying each others decks.

My view:

The top three decks will be in a triangular pattern, with each having advantage over one other. They will be:

Zybink

Mega Ray

DarkTina-Garbo

Below that:

Greninjaflame (trashed by Garbodor)

Vileplume (trashed by Garbodor)

DarkTina (no Garbodor, so not as good)

Yveltal (pretty good, but no DarkTina)

Other Megas (all with enough firepower to make a lot of noise, but with the possible exception of Mewtwo, nothing more)

I don't think Rainbow Road is any good in Standard. In Expanded, yes. But in Standard, it is missing so many key cards it is unreal.

I'm running a Darkrai/Yveltal deck and I've never had an issue with Rainbow Road as long as I recognize it right away and try and blitz it as fast as possible. Only deck I really have an issue with is the Mewtwo Deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently running Raticate Break/Ariados combo deck. I'm amazed by how this deck can win and defeat most high tier decks. Yet, it easily beaten by low tier deck like Yveltal decks.

The only high tier deck I can't beat: Vespiqueens!

So, I think Vespi decks are still strong enough in high tier decks.

Mega Charizard should be entering the discussion as soon as that link comes out in Evolutions.  A lot of options and will be a decent team with Volcanion.

I understand where you are coming from, as I love trying to come up with unorthodox combinations that have good synergy and can deal with several top decks in the meta.  But that is why there is a meta for a reason, and also because the online game is the catalyst that helps spread a lot of the strong meta decks around.  

Also, with battling several different types of decks, it is much easier to find an inspiring pokemon that you might have overlooked.  Acquiring every single card and trying out each type of deck to discover what works best for you is simply too expensive.  There has to be a starting point somewhere, and thats what the top meta decks provide, sort of a palette for inspiration.

Any good player should be able to take a deck idea and make it their own, or at least test out what works best for their own playing style.  Whether it is a carbon copy of a meta deck list from whatever source, a tweaked version, or something original, unless you have practice, luck, and good timing then anyone can lose with any deck no matter how strong it is.

Until there's a draft-style tournament format, all the top players will unfortunately be using the top decks.

I might be less eager to enter a draft tourney though, as I'm not comfortable in my knowledge of the cards.

yanmega queen decks are there too (the biggest weakness to this deck is healing which is not common on the meta those days)

and the 2 eevee brothers with regice can still fight even vs pokemon ranger

yanmega queen decks are there too (the biggest weakness to this deck is healing which is not common on the meta those days)

and the 2 eevee brothers with regice can still fight even vs pokemon ranger

Yanmega is dead locked by Garbodor.

Regi/Eeveelutions is a good deck. But Pokemon Ranger has it under control most times.

Yanmega is dead locked by Garbodor.

Regi/Eeveelutions is a good deck. But Pokemon Ranger has it under control most times.

queen with lysandre fix garbodor problem

pokemon ranger cant really have regi under control regi decks in fact are super very common (with item locks sometimes to stop vs seeker) not to forget all decks run 1 poke ranger only

Archived