Hit & Quit

jcgss77

I am using this post to bring awareness of people doing this.  You know who you are!

The game is developed, and you have the edge, and likely the game.  You are getting ready to quick click your victory, waiting for your opponent to finish their turn...and they are playing every possible card they can.  Then, finally, the attack.  Your finger is itchy...Now it is time!!!

And, concession.  The player made their biggest hit, and they immediately quit.  The latest form of sticking it to your opponent who got you.  And I am sick of it.

All of those out there, in case you weren't taught better, it is disrespectful.  There, now you know.  Anyone else tired of this?

I don't normally find it bad as such but I do sometimes get a bit annoyed when I want to finish big and they quit, but meh I take it with a grain of salt since I won either way

I don't normally find it bad as such but I do sometimes get a bit annoyed when I want to finish big and they quit, but meh I take it with a grain of salt since I won either way

Yeah, it is a win, but it is rather annoyingly anti-climactic.  It will only increase if they do take the chat away I am afraid.

This isn't new and who cares. You won. 

Actually, I do, since I started this thread.  I play this game to have fun, not to win.  If you don't care about the topic, don't post.

Actually, I do, since I started this thread.  I play this game to have fun, not to win.  If you don't care about the topic, don't post.

Okay it's not like we don't already have twenty iterations of this thread from recent times. Go right ahead. 

I'm all for conceding if I know I'm beat and my opponent isn't doing a challenge. Why waste time? To go through the whole nonsense of deploying every card before you quit though? That is a little annoying.

I concede when my opponent does 2+ unnecessary things when all he/she has to do is attack my active Pokemon to win the game.  Just do the attack and win. I do not need to see them fill out the bench then Sycamore then attach tools to the bench 

RESPECT my time and I will respect yours

I concede when my opponent does 2+ unnecessary things when all he/she has to do is attack my active Pokemon to win the game.  Just do the attack and win. I do not need to see them fill out the bench then Sycamore then attach tools to the bench 

That happens far too often.  Showboating does not promote a fun atmosphere.

For sure, I do the same thing.  If one is playing out the win, I concede because it is quite annoying.

However, my topic was about people who have lost the game to you, and play out their cards as much as possible, then attack with their biggest attack, then quit, not giving you the chance to finish the game.  That is my issue.  The other, as we mentioned, is very easily remedied.

I personally have made it seem like i'm doing everything to stall and people have said i am ****** for it (only happened once) and when i was legitly using my shaymin's/sycamores to draw the cards i needed to make a come back (which i've done plenty of times) and i was also doing my daily challenge with that deck aka do enough damage, in order to save time if i didn't get the card i would get the damage done to help the challenge and concede in order to save them time however i also been asked to stay in game for challenges they needed like kills damage etc if they request that i will stay otherwise i'm just there to do my challenge half the time and if i know i lost i'm save you the some time, most of us don't like to waste time so that's why a lot of us concede once we know its over, we all don't got hours of time to get on to play. As for the people who purposely stalled once they lost it hasn't really happened to me but show boating has in which i just concede like just attack dude otherwise i'm end it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

The number of concessions before the first attack is even made is even more annoying. If you don't want to play, don't start a game. I understand if something comes up, but come on...

The number of concessions before the first attack is even made is even more annoying. If you don't want to play, don't start a game. I understand if something comes up, but come on...

Sometimes if I'm forced to start with Hoopa-EX or Shaymin-EX and I have a terrible starting hand, then I'll just throw in the towel so I can quickly start a new game, rather than wasting time trying to salvage a lost cause. Getting beat by a bad start is no fun for me, and experience tells me that donking your opponent on turn two is not much fun for the winner either. I'd rather give up and move on to a game that I actually have a reasonable chance on.

Sometimes if I'm forced to start with Hoopa-EX or Shaymin-EX and I have a terrible starting hand, then I'll just throw in the towel so I can quickly start a new game, rather than wasting time trying to salvage a lost cause. Getting beat by a bad start is no fun for me, and experience tells me that donking your opponent on turn two is not much fun for the winner either. I'd rather give up and move on to a game that I actually have a reasonable chance on.

I agree, especially if you are trying to maximize your time while grinding the VS Ladder when you don't have a ton of time to play.

This isn't new and who cares. You won. 

I understand what you're saying OP. To those saying it shouldn't matter, let's make an analogy. You're playing Mario Kart with a friend and after a close race, you're entering the final straight and about to win. Rather than allowing you to cross the finish line, right before you do, your friend turns off the gaming console, gets up, and walks away.

Was this kind of victory fun? Is this the kind of gaming experience you enjoy? Would you say your friend was a good sportsman? I would say he was a sore loser and I wouldn't be playing video games with him again.

In PTCGO I don't personally care since I get the satisfaction from moving up the versus ladder or winning the tournament and I not the "finishing move", but I can understand where the OP and others are coming from.

This is not the same as quitting to save everyone a few minutes of their time, I'm fine with that. This is literally "saving" 5-seconds by quitting right before your opponent presses the final button. It's not about time, it's about being sore.

PS - I second those who say the "showboating" at the end is annoying. Even worse is someone who is angry about losing so they purposely play really really slow, taking the MAXIMUM TIME to play each card so their opponent has to wait. That is just throwing a tantrum because you lost and is a very childish thing to do. (I admit I did this to someone once who was being very rude to me in the chat ... but that was an exception.  ;) )

Who even cares?

A win is a win.

Let them do whatever.

Just to be clear, what I am a player who obviously needs to get up the VS ladder, just like everybody else. However, I like to do in in a fashion where I am not simply "grinding it out", but having fun while doing it. I much prefer an awesome game where even if I lose, I feel it was worth the game. However, I am not here to just ***** out wins, which it seems you are. Not everyone else has that mentality, and the game is designed for fun, not to pound your opponent into oblivion.

Feel free to be that way, but all I am asking for is to have some respect for your opponent, and for the nature of the game. I don't mean you personally, but everyone who plays this game. Including you and me.

As much anti-climax it is, personally I think that there's nothing better than seeing an opponent concede.

All hail me lol :-D

You made me lol!

I'm personally not insane enough to ladder grind (no offense meant; the one time I grinded the ladder was for N and I ended up a bit crazy after that), but there is no one way to enjoy this game. If some people legitimately have fun grinding, hey, whatever floats your boat. I don't see what's disrespectful about them conceding a lost game. Depending on who you ask, it could be considered disrespectful to both yourself and your opponent to insist on fighting out a hopeless match. Which of the two is the respectful choice is a mere matter of opinion, which is why this topic has been brought up in the past, why it was brought up now and why it will continue to come up from time to time without ever reaching a consensus.

Going back to OP's initial scenario ("hit and quit"), well yeah it's kind of bm, but that's all there is to it. Sadly for you, the people you're aiming this message at probably don't even read the forums. Even if they did, since they are just fishing for a reaction in the first place, they'd probably just think this entire thing is hilarious rather than feel guilty and change their behaviour.

Not saying you're wrong though. It is pretty bm to do that, but the only way to make them change would be to have actual punishments for such actions, which would be hard or even impossible.

I'm personally not insane enough to ladder grind (no offense meant; the one time I grinded the ladder was for N and I ended up a bit crazy after that), but there is no one way to enjoy this game. If some people legitimately have fun grinding, hey, whatever floats your boat. I don't see what's disrespectful about them conceding a lost game. Depending on who you ask, it could be considered disrespectful to both yourself and your opponent to insist on fighting out a hopeless match. Which of the two is the respectful choice is a mere matter of opinion, which is why this topic has been brought up in the past, why it was brought up now and why it will continue to come up from time to time without ever reaching a consensus.

Going back to OP's initial scenario ("hit and quit"), well yeah it's kind of bm, but that's all there is to it. Sadly for you, the people you're aiming this message at probably don't even read the forums. Even if they did, since they are just fishing for a reaction in the first place, they'd probably just think this entire thing is hilarious rather than feel guilty and change their behaviour.

Not saying you're wrong though. It is pretty bm to do that, but the only way to make them change would be to have actual punishments for such actions, which would be hard or even impossible.

I think you missed the purpose of my post.  I am seeking more gameplay respect, as I play to have fun primarily.  I want awareness raised, so we can have a discussion about this, as the more people that talk about it the more it will be observed and accordingly, hopefully, reduced.  I know we all have bad days, have bad moods, and just get frustrated, I am by no means an exception, but I do my best to not disrespect my opponents.

I am not talking about people conceding, I would prefer that if my opponent sees no way to be competitive in the current game, that they concede, as I do, rather than waste their time, and mine, by playing every single card that they can and then make a final attack, with no intent of finishing the game, but just wasting both of our time for their pride.  That is what I want more of us to see it as, that is what it is, not to fight over it, but to talk about it and encourage each other not to do it.  After all, it is simply not done IRL.

I think you missed the purpose of my post.  I am seeking more gameplay respect, as I play to have fun primarily.  I want awareness raised, so we can have a discussion about this, as the more people that talk about it the more it will be observed and accordingly, hopefully, reduced.  I know we all have bad days, have bad moods, and just get frustrated, I am by no means an exception, but I do my best to not disrespect my opponents.

I am not talking about people conceding, I would prefer that if my opponent sees no way to be competitive in the current game, that they concede, as I do, rather than waste their time, and mine, by playing every single card that they can and then make a final attack, with no intent of finishing the game, but just wasting both of our time for their pride.  That is what I want more of us to see it as, that is what it is, not to fight over it, but to talk about it and encourage each other not to do it.  After all, it is simply not done IRL.

Seems to me you are making some pretty big assumptions on peoples intent. How in the world do you know that they have no intention to finish the game? Do you know all the cards in your opponents decks? Maybe they are playing everything they can in a last ditch effort to find the cards they need to still have a chance at winning.  If i think of a combo that can help me get a chance to turn the game around in my deck. Then you better believe i am going to play every card i can to get it. 

Normally, I will quit only if there is no hope of me to win. Like having only 1 Pokemon and it is stupid Basic (like Magikarp) and got in my draw an energy card. Sure for my opponent it is annoying. But, for me, I could play another game while not losing time in a losing match.

But, I think karma is *******. Yesterday, I was playing against a guy who was too rude and was trying to taunt me in chat without me replying to him. I drew my winning card and I was about to tell him "GG Loser", but I misclicked on X button. I screamed like crazy.

Well you can bring awareness to this if you want, but there is really nothing new under the sun here. Everyone knows this kind of things happens, and trolls will continue to troll regardless.

For the sake of your own enjoyment of the game, I suggest that you just let small things like this slide, because they will continue happening. If you let these people get to you, you'll only end up going bitter while the troll on the other side of the screen laughs to his heart's content.

EDIT: One more thing you should keep in mind. While annoying, this isn't even considered a minor infraction by the PTCGO rules, so even if there were to be a strict monitoring over them, they will never be penalized for it. You can't shame them into changing them either because they litteraly have no shame. So again, for your own sake, just ignore them.

Archived