Theme decks

oscilatorium

I'm a bit new and was wondering what happens if I purchase one of the Theme decks (500 coins) available. Can I use the cards in that theme deck in any of my custom decks, or will that theme deck be limited for use only in the Theme mode in versus?

Further question: Will this theme deck also be available as a new theme option under the Theme Versus play mode? Right now the only options I see in Theme Versus mode, are basic blue, basic green, basic yellow, mental might, and rallying cry.

What do people recommend to use coins on? Buying booster packs (200 coins/pack) or buying a theme deck (500 coins/deck) ?

I'm a bit new and was wondering what happens if I purchase one of the Theme decks (500 coins) available. Can I use the cards in that theme deck in any of my custom decks, or will that theme deck be limited for use only in the Theme mode in versus?

Further question: Will this theme deck also be available as a new theme option under the Theme Versus play mode? Right now the only options I see in Theme Versus mode, are basic blue, basic green, basic yellow, mental might, and rallying cry.

What do people recommend to use coins on? Buying booster packs (200 coins/pack) or buying a theme deck (500 coins/deck) ?

Yes you can use its cards as well as using them in versus mode in theme mode (not standard). Its recommended for now to just buy theme decks untill you have a solid standard deck at which point you can use your coins for trading (putiing up and selling cards require coins to put them on the market) or boosters as you have said.

Yes you can use its cards as well as using them in versus mode in theme mode (not standard). Its recommended for now to just buy theme decks untill you have a solid standard deck at which point you can use your coins for trading (putiing up and selling cards require coins to put them on the market) or boosters as you have said.

So I cannot use the cards from a theme deck in my own decks in versus mode such as Standard or Expanded? I'm not sure then what would be the point of purchasing the theme deck, if I can only use it as a deck in Theme mode versus?

So I cannot use the cards from a theme deck in my own decks in versus mode such as Standard or Expanded? I'm not sure then what would be the point of purchasing the theme deck, if I can only use it as a deck in Theme mode versus?

I think the wording of their answer was a bit confusing. You can use the Theme Deck in Theme Mode VS, but you cannot use the Theme Deck in Standard/Expanded/Legacy VS unless you clone it (and in that case it would not be considered a theme deck). Also, if you clone the deck, that clone is no longer playable in Theme Deck mode (though the original theme deck is). You can use the cards found on theme decks to build your own unique decks for vs mode and Tournaments.

Hi TheShaoh, i was wondering which theme deck is the dark hammer as i didnt see the name on the deck's shop and i need to use a water theme deck to win in order to complete my challenges is that mean that i need to purchase a water theme deck first and not with creating a standard (water) deck?

Hi TheShaoh, i was wondering which theme deck is the dark hammer as i didnt see the name on the deck's shop and i need to use a water theme deck to win in order to complete my challenges is that mean that i need to purchase a water theme deck first and not with creating a standard (water) deck?

You will need a water theme deck, yes, but that challenge can be completed in the Trainer Challenge using the Basic Blue deck. Dark Hammer was removed from the shop with this year's format rotation, and is now only available through codes in IRL products.

I think the wording of their answer was a bit confusing. You can use the Theme Deck in Theme Mode VS, but you cannot use the Theme Deck in Standard/Expanded/Legacy VS unless you clone it (and in that case it would not be considered a theme deck). Also, if you clone the deck, that clone is no longer playable in Theme Deck mode (though the original theme deck is). You can use the cards found on theme decks to build your own unique decks for vs mode and Tournaments.

Thanks, I think I got it, so to summarize: I can use any of the cards from bought theme decks in any types of VS (expanded, standard, etc) as well as tournaments. However, in VS Theme format, I cannot make ANY modifications to the original theme deck I bought, correct?

If this is the case and theme decks cannot be modified at all in VS Theme and Theme toournaments, then why do i see so many threads recommending playing these theme formats? Isn't it boring if you can't make any changes whatsoever? It sounds like Theme decks are only a useful buy initially at the beginning to give you a lot of basic cards to your collection to be used for building a deck, but after that, buying boosters is a better option, due to the draw potential of powerful EX cards?

If someone completes all the challenges and gets over 50+ packs by that point, would it be recommended not to bother buying theme decks with coins, and just use the coins for regular boosters?

Thanks, I think I got it, so to summarize: I can use any of the cards from bought theme decks in any types of VS (expanded, standard, etc) as well as tournaments. However, in VS Theme format, I cannot make ANY modifications to the original theme deck I bought, correct?

If this is the case and theme decks cannot be modified at all in VS Theme and Theme toournaments, then why do i see so many threads recommending playing these theme formats? Isn't it boring if you can't make any changes whatsoever? It sounds like Theme decks are only a useful buy initially at the beginning to give you a lot of basic cards to your collection to be used for building a deck, but after that, buying boosters is a better option, due to the draw potential of powerful EX cards?

If someone completes all the challenges and gets over 50+ packs by that point, would it be recommended not to bother buying theme decks with coins, and just use the coins for regular boosters?

You are correct.

The reason that Theme is recommended is for 2 reasons actually.

1) Most of the players that it is recommended to are ranting about how overpowered EXs are. There are no Pokemon-EX in Theme Mode.

2) Competing in Theme Tournaments is a great way to earn tradable packs if you are a new player, and it helps you towards getting a good standard deck so you don't get squashed immediately.

I personally would buy the weekly Shop special bundles rather than single booster packs, as the bundles usually have hard to find promo cards and a pretty good value for their cost.

Yes, my apologies, you can use the individual cards however you like, but as he/she clarified you can only use the theme deck itself in theme deck versus only.

Yes, my apologies, you can use the individual cards however you like, but as he/she clarified you can only use the theme deck itself in theme deck versus only.

Or you could just clone it and also use it anywhere else in other VS modes (as long as it meets the format)?

Or you could just clone it and also use it anywhere else in other VS modes (as long as it meets the format)?

Yes unless you copy it, not that you would want to use their anyways  :P. The mistakes are really flowing for me, thats how you know you got to hit the sac.

Hi guys, btw thanks for theguru explaination

so currently any recommend decks or packs to purchase with in-game coins not by redeem codes?

Buy the Steam Siege theme decks when they are added back to the shop later this month. 

Buy the Steam Siege theme decks when they are added back to the shop later this month. 

which water theme deck do you recommend? the aurora, ocean core or wave slasher? thx in advance

Awh only i realise i can use the basic blue deck for the trainer challenge, haha as i thought i need to purchase a water theme deck for the challenge now i can save the coins for steam siege

Hello oscilatorium, you will be happy to hear that I have been into the same situation lately, but I have solutions! YES, you can use the cards from the theme deck you have purchased for custom decks formation and another YES for using the deck in theme versus play mode. You will see the theme deck pop up with the other basic theme decks. Hope it helped you.

Awh only i realise i can use the basic blue deck for the trainer challenge, haha as i thought i need to purchase a water theme deck for the challenge now i can save the coins for steam siege

Yes, one of the first things new players should do is to fully unlock the free decks they get upon signing up. This is done in the Trainer Challenge, and once it's done, the contents of those decks will be available to use in your own custom decks. Also, finish the tutorial if you haven't already. You get a reward at the end.

Yes, one of the first things new players should do is to fully unlock the free decks they get upon signing up. This is done in the Trainer Challenge, and once it's done, the contents of those decks will be available to use in your own custom decks. Also, finish the tutorial if you haven't already. You get a reward at the end.

How many trainer mode wins does it take to unlock each deck? It seems like it varies? For example, the basic yellow says i have x/12 wins to unlock a booster pack, but other decks (such as basic green and basic blue, capped it at 7 wins... it says i played 7 games with them).

You can see how many different trainers you've beaten with your current deck, and therefore your progress on unlocking it, on the screen where you select the decks. Note that it has to be different trainers. They can have the same name but must be in different spots or leagues. And the only decks you have to actually unlock are the free ones you get at the beginning. Other theme decks that you get from codes or the shop will be fully ready to play when you get them, but if you beat 12 different trainers with one of them, you get a free pack.

Also, you can see which trainers you've beaten with your currently selected deck by looking at the row of check marks below the trainers' pictures. The dark colored checks correspond to trainers you haven't beaten yet. Click on one to jump to that trainer.

Hi guys, btw thanks for theguru explaination

so currently any recommend decks or packs to purchase with in-game coins not by redeem codes?

The new theme decks are a good option to save for. However, Roaring Skies packs are the only pack you should ever buy for tokens. Unless there's a specific card you really want in one of the other sets. The idea being you want to pull a Shaymin EX from this set as it maximizes the potential of basically any deck in the current rotation.

The new theme decks are a good option to save for. However, Roaring Skies packs are the only pack you should ever buy for tokens. Unless there's a specific card you really want in one of the other sets. The idea being you want to pull a Shaymin EX from this set as it maximizes the potential of basically any deck in the current rotation.

is there any posibble will roaring skies came out with theme decks as i did purchase few roaring skies packs and havent get shaymin EX yet 

Archived