Tips and Amounts for M Rayquaza-EX Deck? (Standard Format)

wymario

I've been thinking of building a water-based M Rayquaza-EX / Sky Field deck. The idea is to flood the bench (using Sky Field to get 3 more slots) with Pokemon so that the Colorless-type M Rayquaza-EX can maximize damage on Emerald Break. I'm looking for tips and amounts, and I may also build it in real life (looking at the prices for M Rayquaza-EX, I'm glad I already own a 1-1 line, and with a full art Rayquaza-EX to boot!).

Pokemon:

• Rayquaza-EX (ROS 75): Mainly used to advance to M Rayquaza-EX, but can hold its own if it needs to.
  • M Rayquaza-EX (ROS 76 or 105): Can immediately evolve from Rayquaza-EX thanks to Delta Evolution (that triangle is a Delta, you're welcome for the Greek lesson). Emerald Break does 30 times the number of Pokemon I have Benched. At a full bench, this is 150 damage. At a full Sky Field bench, 240. This is the main focus of the deck.
  • Manaphy-EX (BRP 32 or 116): Mostly in here for its ability, which is why the deck uses water energy over other types. If I don't have the proper Pokemon on the bench, this lets me get the right one out.
  • Froakie (BRP 38): Only here to evolve into Frogadier. Chose this one because its health is higher than its BREAKthrough counterpart and it has a chance of paralyzing.
  • Frogadier (BRP 39): Its attack gets more Frogadiers onto the field, which is good for boosting Emerald Break. Otherwise, does not do much. If this stays after I get tips, I'll put in 4 of these.
  • Articuno (ROS 16): It's either this or Palkia-EX (BRP 31), both have a setup move and a high-damage move, just not sure which one I should put in. Palkia-EX wins in the health and damage departments, but Articuno is less strict with the attack and retreat costs and only gives 1 prize if defeated.
  • Shaymin-EX (ROS 77): You know why it's here, but it's so expensive that an Octillery line might be preferable for the real-life deck. I already own 1 in the online game.
  • Skarmory (ROS 69): Call for Family will fill up the bench, and Blow Through can get damage boost if Sky Field is out. Also has good HP and is Colorless, so it doesn't need a specific energy type.
  • Talonflame (STS 96): You know why it's here. 40 damage for one energy, high HP, free searches, and a free retreat cost make it wonderful to have in my opening hand.

Might need more generic support like Hoopa-EX, but I don't think Hoopa would fit since the deck isn't incredibly EX-heavy. Now, the Trainer Items:

• Rayquaza Spirit Link: Pretty much essential because the deck's main attacker is a Mega.
  • Float Stone: Tentative, but if I don't have Manaphy out, this can be a worthy substitute until Manaphy gets on the bench.
  • Dive Ball: Water-heavy decks should always use this, and this one is no exception.
  • Ultra Ball: Why do you think?
  • Max Elixir: I keep wanting to call it Max Ether :P. Anyway, can set up an attacker if I don't have it ready yet and it's on the bench.
  • Mega Turbo: If I had to dump a water energy at any point, I can put it on an unprepared M Rayquaza-EX using this, but this card may not be necessary since energy is not as much of a big part of the deck as with something like Yveltal-EX decks.
  • Super Rod: May not be necessary, but a good recycler.
  • Trainer's Mail: Nearly forgot this one, and that would have been a dumb thing to do! On the list for obvious reasons.

I was also considering Fighting Fury Belt, but I'll wait for an opinion on that. Next, Supporters:

• Brigette: I don't think I've seen this used that often, but for a deck that either needs to swarm the bench or grab a key EX, this is good and I think it'll work here.
  • Professor Sycamore: Status quo in most decks. Again, this is no exception.
  • N: Another status quo card.
  • Judge: Like the others, a standard in most decks these days.
  • Lysandre: You know how annoying it is to your opponent when their weaker/ability Pokemon is pulled out and wiped off the face of the Earth? The people who play this card do.
  • Ninja Boy: If I have a card like Articuno/Palkia-EX that's set up already, I can pull out Rayquaza-EX immediately. Hopefully the online version becomes usable soon enough.

Also thinking about Giovanni's Scheme. Almost done, now we have stadiums:

• Sky Field: A huge part of the strategy. The opponent also gets more room, sure, but so do I. If M Rayquaza-EX's Emerald Break has a big enough multiplier on it, they should start dropping like flies anyway.
  • Shrine of Memories: This is tentative at the moment, but it may be good if my bench is clear while M Rayquaza-EX is out, enabling use of Dragon Pulse; or if it's in the Active spot and doesn't have 3 energy yet, Intensifying Burn can hold plenty of EX-heavy decks off.

Lastly, the energy. Obviously, the deck uses Water Energy to make use of Manaphy-EX's ability. Also, it will probably use Double Colorless to get Pokemon like M Rayquaza-EX set up faster.

So that's it. As you can see, I have no definite numbers, and not every card is marked as "definitely going in." What do you guys think? Are any staples missing? Are there better alternatives to the utilities or field-flooders? How much of everything do I need to put in? Thanks for any incoming input, and sorry if there's some lingo I could have used that I don't know yet. I've only been playing the game for a few months, which means my knowledge on the fan terms is low.

max elixir sure is interesting as most mray decks dont run more than 5 basics. now the variations of mray that are good are the metal variants, water and dark. i would highly recommend switching your pokemon line up to include 1-2 hoopa ex and 2-3 shaymin ex to speed up the deck. recice and glaceon ex are what make the water variant of mega rayquaza nice (in addition to everything water box had to its disposal, bar toad.) The dark variant gets yveltals (and ex), zoroark (they fill up bench, and gg + floatstone = keldeo ex), The metal variant gets magearna ex (no more damage swaps from mmewtwo), and cobalion (basic, "7th prize" that gets stronger as the game progresses or can stall for a turn). Random useful colorless attackers // support pokemon include: Zoroark (pivot and dce attacker), mr.mime (no bench dmg), altaria AT (no weakness), raichu(mini rayquaza), yanmega (BREAK) (switch pivot, no forest makes it harder t play. improves greninja matchup tho), minncino (tool removal)

Taking into account what you said, I'll look into Glaceon-EX and Regice. The only reason I didn't include Hoopa-EX as a must is mostly the fact that the initial list didn't include a high variety of EX's. Also, keep in mind this is for Standard Format, so Keldeo-EX is a no-go. I'll also consider Raichu, since it was reprinted in Generations and that makes it legal for Standard format and the move you alluded to is two colorless.

I do tend to not think about how to handle the most popular decks of the current format (M Mewtwo, for instance), mostly since I'm not too familiar with them, which is why I didn't add anything to specifically combat certain match-ups.

As a rayquaza player for the past 2 years online and IRL the "best" ray decks are actually just the straightforward ones. right now because rayquaza is so popular you will see people figure out ways around your deck with silent lab, garbodor, parallel city, Zebstrika, Raichu etc. So while there are a ton of bad match-ups with ray right now he is still viable if played correctly. (by that I mean knowing when to dig and when to hold off, losing battle compressor slowed this deck down a bit so your odds of the first turn dunk are a lot smaller now)

Generally my list would look something like this:

3 ShaymenEX

2 HoopaEX

4 Unown

1 JolteonEX

4 Rayquaza ©

4 MRayquaza ©

1 N

2 Lysandre

3 Sycamore

2 Hex Maniac

4 Ultra ball

4 trainers mail

4 skyfield

3 VS seeker

3 Rayquaza Spirit Link

3 Escape rope

3 Mega turbo

5 Basic Lightning 

4 DCE

This deck runs fairly well using the free retreat of jolteon after an escape rope to deal with Jolteon/Glaceon decks or a resistance blizzard. It includes Jolteon as an optional attacker but you generally don't have to use him. I expect players to deal with the matchup by adding a 2-2 line of Raichu  to the decklist, but other than doing it yourself there is not much you can do about that. To fit 4 cards in I might consider dropping something like this:

-2 unown, -1 lysandre, -1 JolteonEX (+ 2-2 Raichu line)

-3 Unown, -1 Jolteon (+ 2-2 Raichu line)

Raichu is a free retreat cost stage 1, and while its not as fun as grabbing a JolteonEX the truth is with nightmarch gone I have not needed him and Raichu is a better answer to Regice.

I run Glaceon and Regice. I find the non-ex bench filling clever but the fact that you need to waste an attack to get them there is simply too slow for a benchmark deck. 

Zoroark is probably the best counterpart to M Ray in Standard. It punishes players who try and take advantage of your Sky Field (read: mirror matches), and has massive mobility with Stand In and a Float Stone.

I run Glaceon and Regice. I find the non-ex bench filling clever but the fact that you need to waste an attack to get them there is simply too slow for a benchmark deck. 

I see your point, I definitely understand how my Frogadier strategy is not the best. Know an alternative, though? So far I can only think of Brigette and Pokemon Fan Club, but that's only if I don't try a more straightforward route like Bob's.

• 2 weeks later...

Have fun and win on

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 3 Rayquaza-EX ROS 104

* 1 M Rayquaza-EX AOR 98

* 2 M Rayquaza-EX ROS 105

* 3 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

* 1 Zorua BKT 89

* 1 Zoroark BKT 91

* 1 Vulpix PRC 20

* 1 Ninetales PRC 21

* 2 Hoopa-EX AOR 89

* 1 Mew-EX LTR 139

* 1 Manaphy-EX BKP 116

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114

* 3 Rayquaza Spirit Link ROS 87

* 1 Skyla BKP 122

* 1 Pokémon Ranger STS 113

* 1 Super Rod NVI 95

* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110

* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92

* 2 N NVI 101

* 4 Sky Field ROS 89

* 1 Hex Maniac AOR 75

* 2 Lysandre *******

* 3 Mega Turbo ROS 86

* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93

##Energy - 10

* 4 Double Colorless Energy *** 114

* 6 Water Energy GEN 77

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I see your point, I definitely understand how my Frogadier strategy is not the best. Know an alternative, though? So far I can only think of Brigette and Pokemon Fan Club, but that's only if I don't try a more straightforward route like Bob's.

BobTD1 gave you great tips. Honestly this deck is straight forward. But running x2-3 Shaymin EX and x1-2 Hoopa EX is crucial to this deck imo. And I would run Winona in place of Bridget. The other Pokemon I run are Jolteon EX, Lugia EX, and Lugia FC. Hoopa and Ultra Balls get you what Winona can't.

If you want my deck list I'll post it for you. So you can get the numbers.

Archived