Lysandre and Volcanion

nash52

Hi, hope this isn't in the wrong place. I'm still fairly new to everything pokemon tcg related, and forums in general. 

I just played a volcanion/flareon deck with my M mewtwo deck. I started super slow with hoopa and then an early game N from my opponent knocked me into a supporter drought and couldn't get going for a while. Finally I draw VS Seeker and am able to get my sycamore from turn 1 back and get going. I knock out baby volcanion, he replaces it with volcanion ex and attacks for 160 on M mewtwo with volcanic heat meaning that particular volcanion ex could not use that attack again next turn. He has a float stone attached and another benched volcanion ex ready to go, but it was his only other attacker ready. Easy OHKO for M mewtwo and I have lysandre. In what I thought was a brilliant play I brought out the new volcanion ex and demolished it with ease. All while assuming the original volcanion ex (the one who had just attacked me) would not be able to attack on the upcoming turn. During his turn he states that the game is glitched and won't let him attack. I mentioned the brilliance of my play and he told me that the effect of the attack was supposed to reset when volcanion ex (or any other pokemon with an effect on it for that matter) hit the bech. He claims he should have been able to attack that turn with the original volcanion ex. I think I would have won either way, and that was exciting to me to not lose with such a slow start, but I would like to know if he is correct.I am no pokemon guru. Should the effect on that particular volcanion ex have been gone, allowing him to use volcanic heat two turns in a row? 

Sorry if it's wordy, I just wanted to be descriptive enough to be clear. And I'm excited because I'm running a M mewtwo deck I haven't seen anyone else try (not saying they aren't, I just haven't seen it or heard of it) and it's working much better than any attempt I made with M mewtwo/Garbodor for the new standard format. Thanks for any help!

Yes, attack effects that affect a Pokémon, such as Volcanic Heat preventing an attack next turn, are always supposed to reset when the Pokémon is benched. In other words, your play should have given him a KO on your Mewtwo, but you instead won due to one of the many bugs on PTCGO.

And for the record, there's nothing inherently wrong with being wordy (look at me for example, XD), but it's always a good idea to break up your writings into reasonably-sized paragraphs. No one likes a gigantic wall of text.

Yes, attack effects that affect a Pokémon, such as Volcanic Heat preventing an attack next turn, are always supposed to reset when the Pokémon is benched. In other words, your play should have given him a KO on your Mewtwo, but you instead won due to one of the many bugs on PTCGO.

And for the record, there's nothing inherently wrong with being wordy (look at me for example, XD), but it's always a good idea to break up your writings into reasonably-sized paragraphs. No one likes a gigantic wall of text.

i think a good example of this is blizzard burn from plasma kyurem- which allows you to use it the next turn if you switch and switch back. The reason for this is all effects (including a pokemon's inability to attack) are reset when a pokemon is sent to the bench.

Same reason why dialga-ex doesn't have as much of a presence in expanded.

Yeah its supposed to be reset, any effect on a pokemon should be reset upon switching. For instance, I like to switch magearna out with keldeo and then back after it does 120 so the next turn you can follow up with 120 each turn. 

I think anyone who's played a decent number of matches has won and lost because of bugs before. Off the top of my head I've both won and lost off of jirachi bugs (thankfully it seems to be working in the last few updates). 

Cool. I was completely unaware of that. I knew it affected status conditions, bit I didn't know it removed effects of attacks. Thanks!

Also, sorry about the huge paragraph full of bad sentences. I wrote it at like 4 am, haha. 

The problem is that Volcanion EX is bug...
Right now it do not help to but it on the banch... It will not attack...

Hope they fix this in the next update...

Cool. I was completely unaware of that. I knew it affected status conditions, bit I didn't know it removed effects of attacks. Thanks!

Also, sorry about the huge paragraph full of bad sentences. I wrote it at like 4 am, haha. 

regice, jolten and such as those types if you switch theirs and then back you can attack them with the ex, or basic or 2nd stage.

dialga ex if you switch yours you can attack with a ex.

it cause the effects are removed once they are removed from bench unless it states that it doesn't do that. like aegislash with the king shield or such

Archived