How to Fix the In-Game Economy in 2 Steps.

Mister-Burkes

Very simple:

1. Allow all regions to buy gems. For those who are unaware, Canada has a monopsony over the purchase of gems, which they can use to buy anything in the in-game shop and unlock them for trade.

2. After unlocking gems for all regions, make gems tradeable. Now we have a stable currency and no longer need speculative pack ratio adjustments as substitutes for currency.

Discuss.

The fact that Gems STILL aren't available to non-Canadian players is just baffling. They've been available to 'em for years, what's stopping them from releasing Gems internationally?

This, of course, excludes certain laws pertaining to online activities and any vitriol from players due to the cost of Gems mirroring the price of IRL packs.

This is starting to look less like a currency beta test and more like an epic fail.

The developers appear to not really be that concerned about the profit margin that a worldwide gem release would entail.

They told us gems would be available worldwide a year after their initial implementation (and now, 3 years later, no change).

This is starting to look less like a currency beta test and more like an epic fail.

The developers appear to not really be that concerned about the profit margin that a worldwide gem release would entail.

They told us gems would be available worldwide a year after their initial implementation (and now, 3 years later, no change).

Yeah, that's why I cited laws and the playerbase's reaction to Gem prices in my first post. It's awfully suspicious if you ask me.

If online packs cost the same as real packs, couldn't you just buy the real packs and sell the cards in it?

as long as you don't pull ****. Most places but bulk Commons/Uncommons at around $0.02 USD/ea, but I guess you'd still be making money back.

Here's the issue: this is meant to be a child friendly game and it's already rampant with scammers. 95% of public trades are a ripoff. It's irritating enough already.. now imagine it happening to what is basically someone's real money. There's a reason hearthstone doesn't have trading

Gems are used for getting unavailable normally promos, no? From what I've heard, Canadian players are already profitting selling those promos to others anyway. So Gems being released seems more like it'd solve an already rampant issue with the trade boards.

We can't do a whole lot about this issue. Since it's not like we can boycot a free game. I'm lucky since I go to Canada once or twice a year to visit family so if I'm not broke (which is not often, girlfriends are expensive) I'll pick up a few gems and buy a few promos. However, getting packs is way cheaper just by buying off the internet. ***** has some pretty cheap codes and as long as you buy from reputable seller, you won't have any problems. If you don't trust people on E Bay, you can spend some extra money (still cheaper than buying gems) and buy from automated sources.

Gems are used for getting unavailable normally promos, no? From what I've heard, Canadian players are already profitting selling those promos to others anyway. So Gems being released seems more like it'd solve an already rampant issue with the trade boards.

Yes, exactly. If you're Canadian, you're better off investing in gem promos than buying code cards.

I saw once a trade offer with someone offering just about every ultra rare card you could imagine for just one of those gem promos. My mind was blown and I had to re-check just to make sure. But yeah, all that for a gem promo, not just another one-common-for-every-ultra-rare-ever offer. This person was offering an arm and a leg for that.. DOn't know if that's what you guys mean, but I'm guessing so. Then I would say, yeah, gem promos being strictly for one country is pretty crazy for the market I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.

The only obstacle I can think of preventing international release of gems is the near daily variation in exchange rates between national currencies (a factor responsible for the recent price increase of gems in Canada).

Otherwise, I just can't understand why PTCGO is ignoring a potential source of income.

Archived