A suggestion to streamline trading (trade by card name/effect)

MyNameIsMike37

PTCGO is set up in an annoying way that can make trading somewhat of a hassle. It's very specific with it's cards in that if I want to trade to get something but don't care about the version of it then I have to open multiple trades with each version of the card and then close them after one gets completed. This is also an issue when adding missing cards to a deck for the same reason though it's more annoying than a major issue.

This might not seem that bad as most cards only have 2 printings, the standard and the reverse-holo, however it becomes a major hassle when one wants to get a card with many printings  such as VS Seekers or Ultra Balls. The effect on them is the same and personally, I don't care about deck vanity in this game so I don't care which one of them I get. But if I open up a trade for one of them and someone who would otherwise be willing to accept the offer lacks that specific one but has another they would be willing to part with, I'm SOL because the game considers has 11 different versions of the Ultra Ball and I picked the wrong one to trade for.

Plus, even with only 2 printings, I still have to choose the right one to trade for. It would be more likely that I could get the non-holo one but that assumes I select the correct card given that the in game reverse-holo and standard prints are ridiculously hard to distinguish. Even then it assumes the other person has that specific version.

And Arceus forbid I need multiple. If they don't have multiple of that version of that card then the trade can't go through even if they have another version they would be fine with giving.

Now, I know that some prints of cards have the same name but a different effect and no errata to allow to be used in place of the reprint (IE. Pokemon Fan Club and almost all Pokemon) which is why this search function should take card effect and errata status into account when doing the search so that when one tries to find (for example) any version of MewTwo EX with Damage Change, they don't get the Psydrive and Psyburn ones as well

Interesting... Perhaps it could be set up like the Global Link's G.T.S. in the video games, where you have the option to specify, but do not have to.  Or maybe not.  There might be something bad about that, or it might just be too complex.  Hopefully we can get a good discussion going.

Well I see your point, but really if there was no trainer token cost (like there was earlier in the game's history) there would be so many more scam offers than there is now (and there is still a lot of obscenely bad trades in the pub trade board).

I thought the same thing.

I also don't like how it costs us trainer tokens to post a public trade.

I mean, this is a TRADING card game. So why isn't more effort put into making that aspect of it as seamless and rewarding as possible?

I was referring to the humongous amount of one-sided trades that are posted by a few certain people (won't name names) and then accepted with alts if they arent accepted otherwise to get the tokens back.

Scam offers? What does that mean?

Like, someone trying to trade something of lesser value for something of extreme value?

I say let people decide for themselves what something is worth. So what if it doesn't line up with the general consensus?

If you're going to set standard rates, the trade marketplace might as well be run by NPCs instead of the players.

It's a market some things are worth more than others. Think of it like ****. No one is going to spend $100 on a bowl if someone else is charging $10 for the same bowl. However, most people may be charging ~$30 for the bowl. So, we can assume that the bowl is worth around $30. See what I mean.

If there were no token costs, Lets just say "my friend" would be posting all day for "him" giving a common card like an oddish for a secret rare ultra ball 20 times over with no repercussions.

Scam offers? What does that mean?

Like, someone trying to trade something of lesser value for something of extreme value?

I say let people decide for themselves what something is worth. So what if it doesn't line up with the general consensus?

If you're going to set standard rates, the trade marketplace might as well be run by NPCs instead of the players.

I mean its not like "report a trade" does anything :P

I was referring to the humongous amount of one-sided trades that are posted by a few certain people (won't name names) and then accepted with alts if they arent accepted otherwise to get the tokens back.

Sigh, I'd settle with the ability to filter off those traders/scammers/spammers from my public trade screen.

The problem, really, is that newer players who don't know how good a card is can get easily ripped off.  Also, it's extremely annoying to have Public clogged with offers you never intend to even consider.  Public trades were so much better before I had good cards...  50% of offers are for Shaymin-EX.

Archived