Gameplay w/o Ex/Mega/Break

Okaww

Is there a way to play without Ex//mega/break pokemon besides Legacy?

Quite frankly, these cards are worse then cheats. You get un-earned high stage pokemon. And unless you go out and buy the physical packs, you get little chance to get them, since non-paying players can't trade. It's even a hassle in "standard" play. People load there decks with them, and the new or free players can't do (insert word of choice) about them. Hoopa-Ex made things a lot worse.

I just played a game where the opponent had to mulligan 7 times to get a "basic" pokemon, then within 2 turns, had 6 ex pookemon on the field. It's absolute ****. If people really wat to use these 'cheap excuses to sell cards' pokemon, there should be their own form of game play, and leave them out of normal game play, or limit how many of these can be in a legal deck.

I haven't bought a pokemon card since 2001, and quite frankly, the way the rule are, I wouldn't waste a dime on the cards today. The challenge of the game is now completely gone in favor of OP garbage play.

Starting out with this game you need to stick to theme until you build up your collection & when you have the cards go to standard. I spent probably 3 months grinding theme & trainer challenge until I went to standard. It just takes time.

*inserts huge explanation about why if that happened, Greninja BREAK, Vespiqueen, Haxorus, Trev, NM, etc would be the only decks anyone used. That would give you something to actually complain about. 

EX's are two easy prize cards. My two favorite decks have a combined zero EX's in them. EX's are not necessary. They are not OP. They are not cheap. But they are part of the game and it's meta, and that is only going to change when we move into the Pokemon GX era, which will be even more toxic most likely

If you are impatient but willing to pay about 10 bucks or so you should buy ex tin codes from realgoodeal. They sell them at 1.00 usd each. To find out what the ex power tin decks contain, search for then in announcement message board here. I recommend the one with Octillery in it. I believe it's the shiny xerneas tin

*inserts huge explanation about why if that happened, Greninja BREAK, Vespiqueen, Haxorus, Trev, NM, etc would be the only decks anyone used. That would give you something to actually complain about. 

EX's are two easy prize cards. My two favorite decks have a combined zero EX's in them. EX's are not necessary. They are not OP. They are not cheap. But they are part of the game and it's meta, and that is only going to change when we move into the Pokemon GX era, which will be even more toxic most likely

She said BreakLESS, your explanation is therefore invalid Kappa

Yes, the game has gone Power Creazy in the last 2 years...

When i first joint Pokemon Online Max HP for a basic was 130...

And there are ex pokemon in Legacy...

Anyway...

- Start using the code "flashfire" to get a free deck.

- Compleat trainer challance with 4 stars in each trainer and get 36 packs. (Playing on Hard give x3 XP for a win)

- Playing theme deck will be the best in the start.

Play theme tourneys if you want some tradable packs. No time/don't like tourneys (like me)? Then buy boatloads of pika boxes and exchange them all for stuff in the trading companies.

I haven't spent a single cent on this game (unless you count my internet/electricity bill), not because I don't want to, but because I can't. They don't sell booster packs where I live and buying them online is way too expensive to even consider (I live in Malaysia btw).

When I first started this game all I can play is theme cuz...well.. with no other way to get cards besides the every 5 day pack, I'll be crushed if I go to any other format. Some kind soul donated 2 Keldeos to me and I went into unlimited with a makeshift Deluge deck. Fast forward many, many months (after 2 separate hiatuses) and I went into expanded with Night March. My first standard deck (now rotated) was made only a few weeks ago. It was Mienshao Sub.

And my first legacy deck was Reshiphlosion. RESHIPHLOSION! It was made before my Mienshao Sub! Thank you Wednesday bundle!

So just play the game, earn lots of tokens (you WILL need them), and let your collection grow. One day you'll probably laugh at the EXes you so despise, or use them yourself :)

your right. think of the gx as lvl x. some lvl x was op. while some was not. also remember the gx has one attack that can pretty much be the major game changer so think about that. i know one of the gx being released soon has a attack that only megas can outlast depending on certain situations. other then that pretty much its ohko no matter what.

gx is the new ex and its gonna be more harder to play if you have no way of blocking them. just about only poke i can see having a good chance against them is rays and yveltals and maybe mega mewtwo y. thats just for now, i can't say until we really see the cards in the gx format.

some of the basic non ex decks may not even last a game against a gx. regice will not be able to block the attacks nor will the jolt and glaceon attacks. nor safeguard as its not a ex its a gx. unless they make those effects actually count towards them.

but i perfer ex or lvl x any day. what i saw of the 2 gx that was leaked. i wouldn't want one infront of me nor would i want one to use.

Play theme.

This really is the best answer.  A non-EX format would be so much worse.  I tried Legacy once to avoid the stuff I didn't have.  It was a lesson.

The best part is, nightmarch is not an EX heavy deck, its super cheap to get all the pieces( can proably get the nightmarch set for 2 non RS packs on public trades) and its super powerful

I've played AGAINST Nightmarch.

Lost. Everytime. Overpowered and unbalanced.

And if everyone played Nightmarch, egad, that'd be boring.

Don't have the necessary cards for it myself.

Edited because these forums are wonky.

I see no problem

Each time I've gone up against the Nightmarch deck I've been finished off in 1 turn.

It steamrolls me before I can even set up. It's overpowered.

I've had less trouble with decks made up entirely of EX even without my Suicune and other anti-EX cards than I've had with Nightmarch users.

Edited to add more info.

Then its evident that you need to try this power for yourself

Also for standard you know that you can play rainbow road or greninja which are non ex decks(mostly) and can dish out 100s of damage per turn right?

It is and that is also the deck name we gave to xerneas with the attack(insert name here) that does alot of damage for every differnet type of pokemon on the bench, like 1 grass type 1 dark type 1 steel type etc, so with dual typings now a thing, you can imagine the damage output, it reaches in the 400 ranges

Rainbow Road? Isn't that a Mario Kart level?  :huh:

Nightmare isn't standard anymore so that isn't a problem anymore.

As a guy who plays RAINBoW!!, It could fight nightmarch because nm doesn't want to trade prizes. NM goal is to get down to 10 cards and get the 3 EX kills before it decks out.

Very few GOOD decks run a ton of EXs. If they were that good, they would win World Tournament.

As a guy who plays RAINBoW!!, It could fight nightmarch because nm doesn't want to trade prizes. NM goal is to get down to 10 cards and get the 3 EX kills before it decks out.

Very few GOOD decks run a ton of EXs. If they were that good, they would win World Tournament.

Finally someone else who understands Ex only decks are not good

Suicune easy hex manic/garbador, regice easy to. non ex poke as a attacker.

but to be honest, all out ex decks ain't that powerufl unless its ray. thats about the only deck with allout ex that is powerful enough to be claimed as the almighty all out ex deck. other then that no other ex deck is powerful.

ray has very little weakness. safeguard or regice not much of a issue specially if it has raichu or zoroark or such.

safeguard hex maniac.

btw nm is being reprinted including all the cards it uses. so don't be shocked ot see it back in standard soon. idk when its gonna happen but there has been hints about it.

Using the same decks that everyone else uses, even if it's effective, is boring.  :( 

Do this in this way to win. That's all it is. That's bland.

There are more variety of decks in Expanded format than Standard.  Just a thought, how about using Standard decks in Expanded?  70% of the time it will be fight from behind, but at least it is not boring ;)

A large collection of Mario Kart levels, actually.  But yeah.

​Rainbow Road? Isn't that a Mario Kart level?  :huh:

How do I put this?

"This game was a lot more fun before I realized I was doing it all wrong."

It's something I once said on another game forum, or at least a paraphrase of it.

Games should allow for more freedom, more creativity, you know?

Using the same decks that everyone else uses, even if it's effective, is boring.  :(

Do this in this way to win. That's all it is. That's bland.

There are basically four kinds of decks: the kind people who don't know how to play build with their friends, the kind that are designed to be good, but are more fun than competitive,  the Metagame; a group of competitively viable, well-researched, and popular decks, and Rogue decks.  That final category encompasses everything that does well because no one expected it.  M Audino?  Unheard of.  But it won worlds.  Vespiquen/yveltal/friends?  Little-known.  But it got top four.  Would these decks survive if they were known to be coming?  Probably not.  But it shows that, if you know what you're doing, any card can win.

It steamrolls me before I can even set up. It's overpowered.

I know NM has already rotated out of standard (and will be bad in expanded due to Karen), but I just felt the need to say this to anyone complaining about a specific deck.

Adapt, adapt, adapt.

Steamrolls you before you can set up? Fix your deck, make it more consistent, add counters and techs to night march. There are plenty of decks that can beat night march. Night March might be kind of toxic, but it is beatable. Complaining on an internet forum won't do much. 

I'll save you the trouble...

1) Go 2nd. If a NM let's you go 2nd, they don't know what they're doing. Usually, they can ***** out 80-120 on average turn one.

2) Get rid of dimension valley. Making them lay down two energy to attack will slow them down.

3) Get rid of special energy. Hammers, stadiums, abilities, jerichi.... Don't allow them to attack.

4) Remove tools (FFB). Megaphone is your friend because the joltiks will have fighting belts on.

5) Attack bench. The main goal of nm is to always have an attacker ready to attack. No bench means easy win.

If all else fails, go 1st and item lock (vileplume, trev). NM is all items so no items for them is auto win.

Bad hands happen so don't worry about losing sometimes. It happens, move on.

Well, mega audino kinda won worlds. But I agree EX decks are not always the best. 

Archived