Deck Advice For Tomorrows Change

drunior

Ok, so yeah we all know what tomorrow is and I'm wanting some advice on how to tweak my decks for the new rotation change. I've done what I could with the limited knowledge I have (just returned to the tcg after many years). There's still some cards that will be rotating out in them. So, anyway, even if your advice is way different from my current build please lay it on me.

Current fighting deck build:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 23

* 2 Lugia-EX AOR 94

* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77

* 1 Carbink BREAK *** 51

* 2 Carbink *** 50

* 3 Gible BKP 68

* 3 Gabite BKP 69

* 3 Garchomp BKP 70

* 1 Landorus FFI 58

* 2 Machamp-EX PR-XY XY108

* 1 Zygarde *** 53

* 1 Zygarde *** 52

* 3 Zygarde-EX *** 54

##Trainer Cards - 21

* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114

* 4 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 159

* 2 Wally ROS 94

* 3 Lysandre ******

* 1 Korrina FFI 95

* 3 Pokémon Center Lady GEN 68

* 2 Power Memory *** 108

* 1 Wally GEN 127

* 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99

* 2 Muscle Band XY 121

##Energy - 16

* 4 Strong Energy *******

* 12 Fighting Energy GEN 80

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Point is quick and strong attacks (blitzkrieg), with bench sniping using the lysandre's. Thanks in advance. :)

Ok, so yeah we all know what tomorrow is and I'm wanting some advice on how to tweak my decks for the new rotation change. I've done what I could with the limited knowledge I have (just returned to the tcg after many years). There's still some cards that will be rotating out in them. So, anyway, even if your advice is way different from my current build please lay it on me.

Current fighting deck build:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 23

* 2 Lugia-EX AOR 94

* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77

* 1 Carbink BREAK *** 51

* 2 Carbink *** 50

* 3 Gible BKP 68

* 3 Gabite BKP 69

* 3 Garchomp BKP 70

* 1 Landorus FFI 58

* 2 Machamp-EX PR-XY XY108

* 1 Zygarde *** 53

* 1 Zygarde *** 52

* 3 Zygarde-EX *** 54

##Trainer Cards - 21

* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114

* 4 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 159

* 2 Wally ROS 94

* 3 Lysandre ******

* 1 Korrina FFI 95

* 3 Pokémon Center Lady GEN 68

* 2 Power Memory *** 108

* 1 Wally GEN 127

* 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99

* 2 Muscle Band XY 121

##Energy - 16

* 4 Strong Energy *******

* 12 Fighting Energy GEN 80

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Point is quick and strong attacks (blitzkrieg), with bench sniping using the lysandre's. Thanks in advance. :)

If I could give you any useful advice it would be to cut down on your pokemon and pick a more direct strategy, you have too much going on with your deck.

I would choose  to focus on Garchomp plus the carbink and shaymin and cut 2 of machamp, lugia, zygrade from the deck. Strong energy is rotating I believe, so I would cut those for some 3 double energy for lugia if that is your choice, or i would go with more trainers if you choose to cut lugia. Muscle band and korrina rotate so I would lump in 4 ultra balls and push sycamore to 3-4 and add N for 2-3. You probably want to cut 1 lysandre and add vs seekers instead, and cut on pokemon centre lady and birch. 

To make the deck more competitive in the future as you continue to play, I would probably really invest in the 2 more carbink copies (including the breaks) and cut the ex cards. This would also means you would want to maybe cut to 2 Wallys, cut 1 gabite and run a 4-2-4 evo line for Garchomp and invest in 4 rare candies which would be ideal. At that point it is up to you what the other trainers should be (everyone has their style and strategy). This is after all just a suggestion on what I would do, if i had your deck :)

Its just my 2 cents on your deck, id be happy to help describe why I said to cut certain cards and add others if you have any trouble :)

Edit: you can also always search for Garchomp decks on U2be to get an idea of what I'm saying. 

I would choose to focus on Garchomp plus the carbink and shaymin and cut 2 of machamp, lugia, zygrade from the deck. Strong energy is rotating I believe, so I would cut those for some 3 double energy for lugia if that is your choice, or i would go with more trainers if you choose to cut lugia. Muscle band and korrina rotate so I would lump in 4 ultra balls and push sycamore to 3-4 and add N for 2-3. You probably want to cut 1 lysandre and add vs seekers instead, and cut on pokemon centre lady and birch.

To make the deck more competitive in the future as you continue to play, I would probably really invest in the 2 more carbink copies (including the breaks) and cut the ex cards. This would also means you would want to maybe cut to 2 Wallys, cut 1 gabite and run a 4-2-4 evo line for Garchomp and invest in 4 rare candies which would be ideal. At that point it is up to you what the other trainers should be (everyone has their style and strategy). This is after all just a suggestion on what I would do, if i had your deck :)

I have Lugia and Machamp EX's in there to cover type weaknesses, also as a trump card to hold back in case I get into a bad spot. Such as can't get the right cards or build up energy fast enough. The Lugia EX can get out there and do damage quick to a lot of heavy hitters with high energy cost at the cost of just two energy. Machamp EX, well I find a lot of players cant figure out how to counter it and he has a psychic weakness as opposed to my other fighting types having grass weaknesses. I find that keeps others on their toes and gives me more options. As far as the Zygarde's (non-ex) I knew I going to take them out eventually. The Landorus could come out as well, I just put him in to experiment with and see if he helped retrieve energy effectively. I found Garchomp and Carbink Break help better there as you also said. I was planning on more Carbink/Breaks but wanted to hear from the forums before I splurged on cards I might not need. Also, my strong energies are from Fates Collide set, so I believe they will be staying. I know Korina and Muscle Band are rotating, however.

Rare candies and a 4-2-4 line with Garchomp I did expect to hear. And I see a lot of suggestions to support this strategy. So I will try this out as well. But, I don't know about the Sycamore's replacing the Birch's... I've never been much of a fan of cutting cards from my deck mid match. I have the one because I know there is strategic benefit to discarding a hand in various situations. It just seems when I run more Sycamore's simply for draw power I end up regretting it later in a match more often than not. Then again I don't run any discard pile retrieving trainers either, so I could be wrong. Also, having a fighting deck I seem to face a LOT of psychic decks running Fates Collide set Alakazam EX/M EX and GEN Gengar lines. Pokemon Center Lady along with Zygarde EX second move really help there. I've completely shut down a lot of these decks based almost solely on that combo. However the N's I am really considering as opposed to Birch. The only thing that's kept me from doing that switch is at least 6/10 times other players using N on me helps me... So I don't wanna be "that guy", you know. :lol:

If I could give you any useful advice it would be to cut down on your pokemon and pick a more direct strategy, you have too much going on with your deck.

I would choose  to focus on Garchomp plus the carbink and shaymin and cut 2 of machamp, lugia, zygrade from the deck. Strong energy is rotating I believe, so I would cut those for some 3 double energy for lugia if that is your choice, or i would go with more trainers if you choose to cut lugia. Muscle band and korrina rotate so I would lump in 4 ultra balls and push sycamore to 3-4 and add N for 2-3. You probably want to cut 1 lysandre and add vs seekers instead, and cut on pokemon centre lady and birch. 

Its just my 2 cents on your deck, id be happy to help describe why I said to cut certain cards and add others if you have any trouble :)

Edit: you can also always search for Garchomp decks on U2be to get an idea of what I'm saying. 

Strong Energy was reprinted in Fates Collide, so it can stay in this deck.

I have Lugia and Machamp EX's in there to cover type weaknesses, also as a trump card to hold back in case I get into a bad spot. Such as can't get the right cards or build up energy fast enough. The Lugia EX can get out there and do damage quick to a lot of heavy hitters with high energy cost at the cost of just two energy. Machamp EX, well I find a lot of players cant figure out how to counter it and he has a psychic weakness as opposed to my other fighting types having grass weaknesses. I find that keeps others on their toes and gives me more options. As far as the Zygarde's (non-ex) I knew I going to take them out eventually. The Landorus could come out as well, I just put him in to experiment with and see if he helped retrieve energy effectively. I found Garchomp and Carbink Break help better there as you also said. I was planning on more Carbink/Breaks but wanted to hear from the forums before I splurged on cards I might not need. Also, my strong energies are from Fates Collide set, so I believe they will be staying. I know Korina and Muscle Band are rotating, however.

Rare candies and a 4-2-4 line with Garchomp I did expect to hear. And I see a lot of suggestions to support this strategy. So I will try this out as well. But, I don't know about the Sycamore's replacing the Birch's... I've never been much of a fan of cutting cards from my deck mid match. I have the one because I know there is strategic benefit to discarding a hand in various situations. It just seems when I run more Sycamore's simply for draw power I end up regretting it later in a match more often than not. Then again I don't run any discard pile retrieving trainers either, so I could be wrong. Also, having a fighting deck I seem to face a LOT of psychic decks running Fates Collide set Alakazam EX/M EX and GEN Gengar lines. Pokemon Center Lady along with Zygarde EX second move really help there. I've completely shut down a lot of these decks based almost solely on that combo. However the N's I am really considering as opposed to Birch. The only thing that's kept me from doing that switch is at least 6/10 times other players using N on me helps me... So I don't wanna be "that guy", you know. :lol:

A lot of valid points, adding pokemon to counter weakness is a good strategy but this comes with the risk of running a slower deck (which is why sycamore is that much more important). Sycamore is basically the "lets get to those cards i need now" card and Birch is a 50-50 that could easily put you in a bad spot (happens so much to me). If you insist on running birch, definitely run 4 ultra ball (i would run 4 regardless actually) so you can empty the hand/thin the deck so your birch will have a higher chance of getting you cards you need. Definitely you need vs seekers which help draw support from discard and will help you cut down on the number of copies of support which allows for more strategy in game. As for the rest, you look like you know what you are doing, and for sure I think that running a carbink break deck is one of the more competitive fighting decks out there, it expensive, and there are always other decks to make, but that part is up to you. Good luck and hopefully whatever strategy you decide to you use (im still saying sycamore FTW), you do well :)

P.S my bad on the strong energy, I got mine from Furious fist and didnt know it got reprinted

A lot of valid points, adding pokemon to counter weakness is a good strategy but this comes with the risk of running a slower deck (which is why sycamore is that much more important). Sycamore is basically the "lets get to those cards i need now" card and Birch is a 50-50 that could easily put you in a bad spot (happens so much to me). If you insist on running birch, definitely run 4 ultra ball (i would run 4 regardless actually) so you can empty the hand/thin the deck so your birch will have a higher chance of getting you cards you need. Definitely you need vs seekers which help draw support from discard and will help you cut down on the number of copies of support which allows for more strategy in game. As for the rest, you look like you know what you are doing, and for sure I think that running a carbink break deck is one of the more competitive fighting decks out there, it expensive, and there are always other decks to make, but that part is up to you. Good luck and hopefully whatever strategy you decide to you use (im still saying sycamore FTW), you do well :)

P.S my bad on the strong energy, I got mine from Furious fist and didnt know it got reprinted

Well thank you for the advice. Its given me a lot to think about for tomorrow. I'm gonna tackle these changes then. 

Archived