Is my Celebi Deck REALLY that annoying?

psycloud

Okay, I just recently built a Grass/Psychic a few days ago dedicated to my favourite Pokemon: Celebi

After doing all the work trading and making the deck (which, at time of writing, is still missing a few cards), I gave it a good test run on Ranked Match.

The results surprised me. I played (and technically won) about 15 matches in a row. I had roughly 3x more D/C's than actual "obtain the 6th prize card" or "beat my opponent's last pokemon" wins. This made me wonder; is my deck REALLY that annoying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the list:

Pokemon

2x Celebi (Grass-Type)

2x Celebi (Psychic-Type)

2x Heracross

2x Ledyba

2x Ledian

2x Petilil

2x Lilligant

2x Exeggcute

2x Exeggutor

3x Eevee

2x Leafeon

2x Roselia

1x Roserade

Items

2x Dual Ball

1x Energy Retrival

2x Potion

1x Revive

Suporters

1x Cheerleader

2x Interviewer's Question

2x Professor Elm's Training

2x Professor Oak's New Theory

Energy

11x Grass Energy

10x Psychic Energy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The results were:

~ 7 D/C's (To be fair, this could have been due to a bad connection, and therefore not the player's fault)

~ 4 Surrenders

~ 3 Actual Victories

The Problems always seemed to begin when my Grass Celebi took to the field and kept using it's Time Circle attack to make it immune to Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pokemon attacks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So do you think this deck really seems annoying? Please tell me what you think.

My brother has that card x____x

Nah, it's perfectly fine and easily countered by basic pokemon like Snorlax any legend or even a special condition.

I'm actually glad SOMEONE thinks it's an okay (and not overpowered) card.

The strong point is that most people try to evolve their pokemon early, which allows Celebi to flourish by preventing damage outright, with only basic pokemon and legends (which has been stated) to stop it. It's like a card designed to counter what opponent's do normally, which screws up people entirely (some of the D/C's come from people evolving thier pokemon while I'm under the effect of TIme Circle, meaning they can't do a thing, and also can;t reverse it.

I've had some people play stupid, like attacking with an Ampharos' Thunder, only to realize that not only do they not do any damage, but run the risk of damaging themselves in the recoil.

So yeah, I can see why the common beginner might get annoyed with this card.

The deck itself is good enough to counter legendary cards, maybe not all the time, but it can hold it's own against them (I went toe to toe against a guy who had 2 Thundarus' and a Tornadus in his opening bench and won)

How much HP does it have? If a bit more than most basics I could find it a bit annoying because yeah the only way to counter would be with a strong basic lol.

The Grass Celebi has 60 HP, and it's Time Circle Attack causes 30 HP in damage

While it doesn't seem like much as far as HP goes, keep in mind that most basics that have an evolutionary stage only do about 10 - 30 HP in attack damage, and only have about 50 - 60 HP to begin with. 1 - 2 TIme CIrcles and it's down, so even evolutionary basics will still get a fight in against this Celebi.

However, as stated, a strong basic / Legendary creature will give this Celebi a run for its money. But the deck itself is not based around Celebi itself (Oh no, I'm not that foolish), it's more my playstyle of tricks to keep my opponents either trapped or doing something they don't want so they can get out of a jam, like using my Grass Celebi's ability to put a grass energy on any pokemon so long as it's active, so I put it on a benched Roserade (which confuses the opponent), then my 1 energy per turn to put a psychic energy on Roserade (which poisons the opponent). Either risk confusion, or retreat. Basically, it's a deck that loves status conditions (the only one I can't perform is burn status, lol)

...like using my Grass Celebi's ability to put a grass energy on any pokemon so long as it's active, so I put it on a benched Roserade (which confuses the opponent), then my 1 energy per turn to put a psychic energy on Roserade (which poisons the opponent). Either risk confusion, or retreat. Basically, it's a deck that loves status conditions (the only one I can't perform is burn status, lol)

Why not use Rainbow Energy? That does both poison and confusion at the same time for one Energy.

Why not use Houndoom Prime? Flip a heads and you burn the opponent.

...like using my Grass Celebi's ability to put a grass energy on any pokemon so long as it's active, so I put it on a benched Roserade (which confuses the opponent), then my 1 energy per turn to put a psychic energy on Roserade (which poisons the opponent). Either risk confusion, or retreat. Basically, it's a deck that loves status conditions (the only one I can't perform is burn status, lol)

Why not use Rainbow Energy? That does both poison and confusion at the same time for one Energy.

I honestly did not know or even think of using a rainbow energy for that purpose. Thanks for the tip, now I have another card to consider for this deck.

As for the Houndoom Prime card, as good as the effect is, it wouldn't fit in the deck, since I want this deck to be "a Grass / Psychic deck that is an effective combination of my favourite cards". As such, I want to keep the options for this deck to Grass and Psychic cards only (Also, with it being a dark card, I'd have to fill in some of my deck with dark energy to make it useable, and this deck already has a nice balance to it already, even though it's still not 100% finished).

On a side note, the "Only status it cannot do is burn" thing was just an observation I made, nothing more.

I honestly did not know or even think of using a rainbow energy for that purpose. Thanks for the tip, now I have another card to consider for this deck.

It's used in just about every Roserade deck.

(Also, with it being a dark card, I'd have to fill in some of my deck with dark energy to make it useable, and this deck already has a nice balance to it already, even though it's still not 100% finished).

Rainbow. ;D

On a side note, the "Only status it cannot do is burn" thing was just an observation I made, nothing more.

Yeah, I know. =p I figured I'd throw it out there, though.

EDIT: using Rainbow, I advise also using Super Scoop Up and Junk Arm. That way you can use it lots of times and heal damage.

I looked over your deck list again, and I'd say drop Ledian and possibly Exeggcutor for more Roserade and/or Espeon and/or Lilligant (the Bemusing Aroma variety). You have too many 2-2 lines, you need a couple stable lines (3-2 or 3-3) and a few less lines.

Archived