Making a Delphox deck. Help please!

JayV

Hi everyone!

I put together the following Standard deck revolving around Delphox's Psystorm attack:

[C][C][C] Psystorm: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to all Pokemon in play.

The list below is the current state of my deck. The Lugias are there primarily as a filler for now, and I intend to replace them probably with Volcanion STS. The trainer cards are mostly what I'm having trouble with. Besides my relatively bad deck building skill, I currently don't have many full playsets of Standard supporters, so I cobbled together what I thought were the best from my collection. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to which trainers I should get, and any other suggestions on how to improve my deck, I'd greatly appreciate it!

P.S. I dabbled in PTCGO a few years ago when Team Plasma pokemon were the new thing. I stopped playing after a few weeks, and I've only gotten back into the game a little while ago, so I'm still getting to know the format.

Pokémon - 15
2 Lugia FAC 78
4 Fennekin FAC 10
4 Braixen FAC 12
3 Delphox FAC 13
2 Volcanion STS 25

Trainer Cards - 30
1 Max Potion EPO 94
1 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
1 Lysandre FLF 90
2 Scorched Earth PRC 138
1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
1 Escape Rope PLS 120
3 Evosoda XY 116
3 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
1 N NVI 92
3 Shauna FAC 111
2 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
1 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
1 VS Seeker PHF 109
4 Switch BLW 104
1 Energy Retrieval BLW 92

Energy - 15
2 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
13 Fire Energy Energy 2

Some suggestions:

+ 3 VS Seeker

+ 2 N

+ 1 Sycamore

+ 3 Rare Candy

+ 1 Skyla

+2 Level Ball

-2 Switch

-1 Escape Rope

-2 Birch

-3 Center Lady

-3 Shauna

-1 Ultra Ball

Those are some very basic changes that will likely improve your deck and make it more consistent. 

Okay I made most of the changes you recommended. I just have to hunt down some copies of VS Seeker. Question though: why would N be better than Prof. Birch or Shauna? Is it because N can disrupt your opponent's hand? I'm a bit concerned because N draws fewer cards than either Birch or Shauna after a few knock outs.

Pokémon - 15
2 Lugia
4 Fennekin (10/124)
4 Braixen
3 Delphox
2 Volcanion

Trainer Cards - 30
1 Max Potion
1 Trainers' Mail
3 Ultra Ball
1 Lysandre
2 Scorched Earth
1 Team Flare Grunt

1 Escape Rope
3 Evosoda
1 Pokémon Center Lady
3 N
2 Level Ball
2 Professor Sycamore
1 VS Seeker
3 Switch
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Skyla
3 Rare Candy

Energy - 15
2 Double Colorless Energy
13 Fire Energy

Total Cards - 60

N is better than those two in the beginning, when you need draw power the most, and can cause serious disruption in the late-game.

It's better to do a 4-2-4 line of Fennekin-Braixen-Delphox. As weird as this sounds, it's more efficient, because you're mainly going to evolve Fennekin all the way to Delphox with Rare Candy. You might want to squeeze in Delphox Break as a way to increase energy presence on the field, as well as 2-3 more Trainers' Mail to increase consistency in finding Trainers, considering that Skyla takes up your supporter for the turn.

Hi everyone!
Thank you all very much for the feedback. I've made more changes to my deck, and the current version is below. I have yet to test this version on Versus, but the previous incarnations of the list have done extremely well!

I'm really interested to see how the 4-2-4 Delphox line will play, since I've had Braixen save me a few times with its Destructive Flame attack:
[R] Destructive Flame: 20 damage. Flip a coin. If heads, discard an Energy attached to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

Of course, that's only applied to those moments when I couldn't set up fast enough. With the new line, hopefully I wouldn't have to resort to Braixen :P

I also nabbed me a Delphox BREAK and some VS Seekers, and I'm excited to have them in the deck. I replaced a fire energy with a double colorless to help speed things up a bit, and I found the Escape Rope to be more useful than Switch, so I adjusted their counts accordingly. It looks like the only cards I need to get are another Delphox and a Volcanion to replace the Lugia.

Lastly, how viable is either Revive or Max Revive? Right now I have a Super Rod in the deck to get pokemon and/or energy out of the discard pile, but I'm wondering if I should swap it out.

Thanks again to everyone!

Pokémon - 13
1 Lugia
1 Delphox BREAK
4 Fennekin
2 Braixen
3 Delphox
2 Volcanion

Trainer Cards - 32
1 Skyla
1 Professor's Letter
2 Ultra Ball
2 Scorched Earth
1 Super Rod
3 Escape Rope
3 Evosoda
3 N
3 Rare Candy
2 Professor Sycamore
4 VS Seeker
2 Level Ball
1 Switch
1 Energy Retrieval
3 Trainers' Mail

Energy - 15
3 Double Colorless Energy
12 Fire Energy

Total Cards - 60

I have never had a need for max revive in my life, and I don't think this deck does either, but who knows.  I would say a 4-1-4-1 delphox line is best, and maybe even some more BREAKs if you can get them.  With four rare candies, you'll be surprised how much faster it'll go. ------- Lugia is an interesting tech.  I think there are better ones out there, such as Sceptile-EX, but that decision is entirely yours, and I'm not going to say you can't use the lug. --------- In this deck, since you don't want to discard too much with Sycamore, I'd suggest running a full four N just for draw power.  Hope this helps!

It's your personal preference.  Always have to remember you could help opponent clear a bad hand into a great hand.  Go with your gut which is Shauna or Birch.

N is better than those two in the beginning, when you need draw power the most, and can cause serious disruption in the late-game.

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I updated this thread, and I've made several changes to my deck. Scroll down to see the current list. Some thoughts (feel free to skip the wall of text and just look at the list!):

The Lugia was always just a placeholder until I could find an extra Volcanion. I tried running 3 Volcanion, but I found that it ended up being a dead card many times. Instead, I got a Flareon-EX to serve as a secondary attacker and an energy sink for the Volcanions. I also switched to a 4-1-4-2 Delphox BREAK line. I'm considering adding another Delphox BREAK because the HP boost is really nice, especially since something like a Glaceon-EX can one-shot a Delphox (not to mention its damage immunity to evolved pokemon!).

As for the energy, I chose to forgo the double colorless energies and just use fire energy. While I liked the extra 40 damage the DCE gave, I couldn't fetch them from the discard, and they don't work with Flareon-EX's or Volcanion's attacks. Plus, Scorched Earth let me discard fire energies for extra draws, while at the same time allowing Volcanion to attach them to the bench.

I overhauled the trainers, focusing on consistency and tech cards. I messed around with Ace Trainer, but N proved to be more reliable. I also thought about using Delinquent or Enhanced Hammer, but both of them only slowed down the deck in my opinion, and neither really fit into the Psystorm theme.

All in all, I've learned a lot about deck building and the Pokemon TCG from this thread and from watching videos. I think I'll make small changes to the list as I get better at the game, but for now I'm really happy with how the deck plays. Thanks again everyone for the help and feedback!

**Pokémon - 14
4 Fennekin
1 Braixen
4 Delphox

2 Delphox BREAK
1 Flareon-EX
2 Volcanion

**Trainer Cards - 34

2 Escape Rope

2 Level Ball

4 Rare Candy
3 Scorched Earth