Genesect-EX decks on Legacy

sasserod1

Hello, everyone.

I want to start a discussion about the power of Virizon-EX/Genesect-EX decks on the Legacy format.

Since the Tournaments (now Events) were introduced in PTCGO I started playing less and less versus match-ups and more and more tournaments, specially after the introduction of Legacy format.

My first Legacy deck was a Darkrai-EX/Sableye; it started well, I won 5 tournaments in a row, made to 6 out o 8 finals in a row etc. Then I moved to Rayquaza-EX/Eelektrik, but I don't own a single Tropical Beach which I found to be somewhat important specially after a really bad starting hand. Then I built a Virizion-EX/Genesect-EX and later a Weavile decks. But the thing is, no matter which deck I play (regardless VirGen) I have a poor winning rate against VirGen. And all matches goes down pretty much the same way. Obviously I won a few matches against VirGen but all of then required some luck on my part and some bad luck on my opponent's, and this is something that really bugs me.

You guys may say 'Then play VirGen yourself'. I'm not particular fond of VirGen, but the thing is, what's the point (and fun in) everybody playing the same deck? I guess I could try a fire deck, but I'm not putting my hopes on it.

I don't want to win all Events I play with a super-duper-unbeatable deck (that's exactly what I critizing here), but getting 8 tickets is not something you do in 5 minutes and when I enter an Event, I want to have a fair chance of winning, not to lose on the first round to a VirGen deck that took 5 prizes while a struggled to take 1. 

Now, I consider myself a good and experienced player, I have 268 Gold Trophies, 111 Silver Trophies and 121 Bronze Trophies (around 50% on Standard, 45% on Expanded and 5% on Legacy). I'm always adjusting my decks and testing new strategies.

What I really want here is to hear from you guys, your opinion, if this is happening with just me, if I'm whining too much or if there is something I here I'm missing.

Regards,

Rodi

Victini-EX.  Victory piece.  Free OHKOs.  Boom.

That crossed my mind, but what about the other decks? Besides, I'm not looking for counter decks, I just want to know If other people share my opinion on how broke VirGen decks are on Legacy (or if I'm just being salty). 

Virgen is not necessarily broken just consistent I mean look at standard and Night March for example. Any deck that is consistent is going to dominate whatever format you put it in. NOW that being said I know you said you are not looking for Counter Decks but Reshiphlosion gets over VirGen due to weakness and Empoleon Dusknoir can spread enough damage around to take the critical knock outs. I play a version of VirGen myself and as you said luck has a lot to do with it. If I can't setup by turn 2 or 3 I might as well concede because I won't be going anywhere very fast. The deck itself though is not broken because if it were it would be banned but Many counters exist. My favorite tech cards against Virgen are, Silver Mirror, Tool Scrapper and Lost Remover. Crushing hammer is not as consistent but hammer time decks do exist and are very good against VirGen. 

Virgen is not necessarily broken just consistent I mean look at standard and Night March for example. Any deck that is consistent is going to dominate whatever format you put it in. NOW that being said I know you said you are not looking for Counter Decks but Reshiphlosion gets over VirGen due to weakness and Empoleon Dusknoir can spread enough damage around to take the critical knock outs. I play a version of VirGen myself and as you said luck has a lot to do with it. If I can't setup by turn 2 or 3 I might as well concede because I won't be going anywhere very fast. The deck itself though is not broken because if it were it would be banned but Many counters exist. My favorite tech cards against Virgen are, Silver Mirror, Tool Scrapper and Lost Remover. Crushing hammer is not as consistent but hammer time decks do exist and are very good against VirGen. 

I see your point and agree with it, but the standard format is changing every year. I'm not sure about legacy, but I think it will remain at least until the 2017-18 season and VirGen will reign alone until then.

I play weavile/exeggcute decks in legacy. Almost never lose to Genesect/Celebi decks. Any deck which can KO genesects in a single hit and is also a non ex attacker can counter Genesect/Celebi. I also like playing speed darkrai-ex deck. I added a spiritomb in that deck,which has the ability which does allow both players to play any ace specs. So your opponent can't play G booster as long as spiritomb is in play.

I see your point and agree with it, but the standard format is changing every year. I'm not sure about legacy, but I think it will remain at least until the 2017-18 season and VirGen will reign alone until then.

I do agree that VirGen is probably the Top Deck in Legacy and only because of Celebi prime I mean being able to freely attach energy every turn is just non-sense lol. But as a previous poster said I think Weaville Eggs is just slightly better because it can KO EX's and beat them out in the prize trade.

Also no you are not being salty as this is a game all about meta and more often than not there are going to be certain decks that reign supreme. Its not something that I like about Trading Card Games because it happens in all of them. I wish in this game you could just throw 60 random cards together and they would be just as competitive as another stack of 60 random cards but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. BUT that being said because the game has so many different ways to play I think that is what keeps us all coming back. 

Thank you very much guys. When I decided to post here I had no idea what to expect. There are a lot of toxic forums out there and I'm glad this is not of those.

Garbotoxin Garbodor significantly enfeebles most of the top-tier legacy decks - with exception to weavile/eggs (if they run enough tool scrappers).

Archived