Questions before the rotation

Cardiac311

First a little back story......

I am rather new to the PTCG online and I am enjoying it a great deal.  I am an older guy (mid 40's ) who has always liked competitive card games and I have been playing for about 1 week. I  have completed all the trainer challenges and playing the verses theme matches.   I have received multiple booster packs form challenges and such.  I have only spent 500 coins on the Dark Hammer theme deck.  

I am reading about the rotation that is up coming in less than 2 weeks.   This is all very new to me.  at some point (after much practice ) i may be interested in becoming more competitive.  Or course I would like to do it the most economical and practical ways.  

At the current time I have over 2700 coins to spend.   Is there anything that I should or need to purchase with them before the rotation???  I have read many threads, some suggesting certain booster decks and others saying certain theme decks.    I not yet started playing ticketed tournaments (Maybe this weekend).  

I am looking to plan towards the big picture, I tend to be one of those guys who grinds a game and like to work for rewards.  I would just hate to make a mistake early on that sets me back a bit. And I can be very competitive by nature.  

I welcome any advice and suggestions.   I would also like to have a group of adult players that are similar to me that we could correspond online and discuss game issues, strategy and together become better players.   Although I have much experience in game theory from semi professional poker, PTCG is new to me and I am loving the challenge !

Thanks

Dee

Hi and welcome.

There's 2 ways to focus the upcoming rotation. Going for the all the new that is coming, or getting the older before it goes away.

When starting people don't use to focus on the older sets because... they're older and won't be ruling the game. But once you're in the game for a pair of months and gotten some of the stuff you discover about the older cards, older pokémon and older sets. You start to love it and... there are no easy way to get it in the present! It's a pity.

All the packs and Theme decks from XY Kalos Starter set to Phantom Forces will disappear  from the shop (that's not 100% sure but that's the way it should be with the rotation) so if you're interested in getting some of the older stuff with the free coins from the game, do it before the rotation, mainly the Theme decks that will give you lots of support pokémon and trainer cards which actually it's the most interesting from the theme decks. I never got packs from the shop, imo doesn't worth and I prefer to spend the coins on the bundles with special cards.

The most competitive part of the game it's of course the Standard mode so if you want to focus on that, just forget the older sets for now. But if you look a bit and discover you like that older decks and you like to collect every possible card from the game, then get everything you can before it goes away.

All the packs and Theme decks from XY Kalos Starter set to Phantom Forces will disappear  from the shop (that's not 100% sure but that's the way it should be with the rotation)

Samhayne confirmed this would happen

What are some "must have" cards for standard competitive deck???   That way I can start to focus on accumulating cards to place a deck together 

What are some "must have" cards for standard competitive deck???   That way I can start to focus on accumulating cards to place a deck together 

Ultra Ball, Sycamore, 2-4 stadiums that compliment the deck, Shaymin-EX or octillery in most cases, vs. seeker, N, Teammates in my opinion, fighting fury belt, dice (double colorless energy), and sometimes switch and puzzle of time.

Archived