Blacksmith Gone

majero

So... with Blacksmith being rotated out, how will fire decks continue to be relevant? Is there another way to retrieve fire energy productively? I don't see the point of Scorched Earth/Discarding Fire energies anymore if there's no way of getting them back other than a Super Rod lol.

On a positive note, I'm excited for the new metagame in 2 weeks. Will PTGO begin the rotation on September 1st ?

Is Double Crisis being rotated out? That set has Team Magma's Camerupt which can get Fighting or Fire Energy out of the discard pile.

And there's Blaziken-EX as well, though I am not sure if that's being rotated.

Is Double Crisis being rotated out? That set has Team Magma's Camerupt which can get Fighting or Fire Energy out of the discard pile.

And there's Blaziken-EX as well, though I am not sure if that's being rotated.

Team Magma's Camerupt and Blaziken-EX will still be legal next season.

They will both rotate out next year though.

Running a Flareon-EX New Standard deck and it's running well against most things cept pre-rotation stuff. It runs Team Magma's Camerupt and max elixirs for energy ramp. It's pretty dang fast though blacksmiths would still be better. Though you have to remember that a lot of key cards are rotating out. The only deck I can think of that doesn't lose major cards is Rayquaza ex.

My advice, look elsewhere.  I had a high powered Delphox XY that won a tournament this past weekend,  thought it was the last week of standard apparently there's a whole month of it still.  My new standard deck is setup and completely different.  

I think Fire decks will still have a chance with the FC Delphox's Psystorm attack.

It's powerful and doesn't require Fire energy, specifically.

Definitely a good Poémon for mid or late game.

Blacksmith + Battle Compressor acceleration combo will definitely be missed :(

Perhaps 2 Delphox-BREAK in Bench would compensate for Blacksmith being rotated out.

If ever, Energy Recycler (from AO) might be needed.

XY Double Crisis will not be rotated out in September.

Only XY Base Set, XY Kalos Starter set (theme decks), Flashfire, Furious Fists, and Phantom Forces will be.

Good riddance, Night March! But goodbye, PhF Bronzong, Dialga-EX, Lucario-EX, Korrina, and Blacksmith :(

Actually, I've seen a couple great fire decks running in preparation of the new Standard, and they work quite well even without Blacksmith.

One is a Volcanion/Volcanion-EX deck, where one simply powers up normal Volcanion's damage output with the EX's Ability, then accelerating the bench with the discarded energy. Energy Switch helps stack the energy around as well.

The other is a Flareon-EX/Magma's Camerupt deck, where you run 4 Max Elixir for quick acceleration and the Flash Fire ability acts as a free Energy Switch effect. This also has synergy with Magma's Camerupt taking energy out of the discard.

I've even seen ways to mix these two strategies together, and even add Entei to the mix. It just takes creativity to figure out how a deck would work with major cards removed. If you do it right, you'll still have a good strategy at hand.

Actually, I've seen a couple great fire decks running in preparation of the new Standard, and they work quite well even without Blacksmith.

One is a Volcanion/Volcanion-EX deck, where one simply powers up normal Volcanion's damage output with the EX's Ability, then accelerating the bench with the discarded energy. Energy Switch helps stack the energy around as well.

^^^THIS. Volcanion makes the Blacksmith almost irrelevant.

You also have non-EX Blaziken from Primal Clash, which, for one energy, moves 3 fire energies from the discard pile to any Pokemon, fire or not. I find it good for setting up MRayquaza (Dragon - not Emerald Break.)

Reshiram and flareon ex is another option. Start with resh get energy on it, ***** stadium and hydreigon ex, switch to another Reshiram repeat.

How many volcanion ex do you run? Is 3 enough? I'm thinking of getting a fourth... without blacksmith, I guess fisherman will be played more to combo with Volcan ex

Archived