I think the turn timer is too long

OlliepartonOP

Hey there everyone.

I have been playing agains too many freaks in versus mode in TCGO these days. People who just wait out the time after each little move, driving me crazy.

Conclusion:

Reduce the time in versus duels and reduce the time of each turn.

Am I the only one frustrated about this?

+1 If you support this!!

Hey there everyone.

I have been playing agains too many freaks in versus mode in TCGO these days. People who just wait out the time after each little move, driving me crazy.

Conclusion:

Reduce the time in versus duels and reduce the time of each turn.

Am I the only one frustrated about this?

+1 If you support this!!

I get that you are frustrated, but you have to understand, people have the right to take as long as they want to. In fact, a good Pokemon player should take a long time, as a player should always think before action. Take Ross Cawthon for an example, he is widely known as being a superb player, and he is also infamous for taking very long turns. Waiting is frustrating, but it's necessary. After all, when you are thinking, wouldn't you want your opponent to be patient and wait for you? I actually would like to see the timer increased, but I get why the devs keep the limit what it is. Unless you are talking about people who deliberately stall to make their opponents concede, and in that case, report them via support ticket. Also, calling people "freaks" is sort of harsh and not that appropriate for the forums. Thanks for understanding :)

I get that you are frustrated, but you have to understand, people have the right to take as long as they want to. In fact, a good Pokemon player should take a long time, as a player should always think before action. Take Ross Cawthon for an example, he is widely known as being a superb player, and he is also infamous for taking very long turns. Waiting is frustrating, but it's necessary. After all, when you are thinking, wouldn't you want your opponent to be patient and wait for you? I actually would like to see the timer increased, but I get why the devs keep the limit what it is. Unless you are talking about people who deliberately stall to make their opponents concede, and in that case, report them via support ticket. Also, calling people "freaks" is sort of harsh and not that appropriate for the forums. Thanks for understanding :)

I was going to post something similar but you articulated this well. I agree that a good player should take their time, this isn't "speed pokemon" though maybe a mode should be introduced that requires rapid actions but I think versus is fine. Anyways OP, I really don't run into a lot of opponents who are so slow that I lose it. There's also a lot of new players who will of course take longer... they're new after all. 

If you've ever played a game like let's say... chess.. you learn patience and to wait for your opponent to move as they wait for you to move. If you are so impatient with waiting, browse the web in another tab, listen to some music, etc. 

Calling other players "freaks" is way too harsh just because they could be thinking several steps ahead of the game. Thinking is a critical part of trading card games.

I use lote of time calc the next move, and what oder playing my cards.

Some time i can calc 2-3 moves forward, by assuming he does the best move. Where by make my counter move. Special i Legacy Genesect ex battle this is importent.

I think you guys missed the point in this topic.

Yes it is ok for "players" to take their time, however, there are players who intentionally make the timer go down as low as possible, while they're doing absolutely nothing.

Basicly, I've been playing agains 3 guys now who all just waited the maximum amount of time after doing simply anything. They waited 30seconds after putting down active and benched pokemon.

So to put it simple: I've been playing agains noobs who dont play but let the time run out to fustrate other players so that we give up and let them win.

Those are the guys that im calling freaks, not the people who use their turns wisely.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :)

Yes it is ok for "players" to take their time, however, there are players who intentionally make the timer go down as low as possible, while they're doing absolutely nothing.

Basicly, I've been playing agains 3 guys now who all just waited the maximum amount of time after doing simply anything. They waited 30seconds after putting down active and benched pokemon.

So to put it simple: I've been playing agains noobs who dont play but let the time run out to fustrate other players so that we give up and let them win.

Those are the guys that im calling freaks, not the people who use their turns wisely.

There is a good chance that you have teck problems. Sound like a bug... I have try that before...

You lose connection under the battle. If this happen again and again.

It is your computer or internet connections that is the problem. Maby try a clean install?

Unless you are talking about people who deliberately stall to make their opponents concede, and in that case, report them via support ticket. 

Ah, I see. As I said, if you encounter such players, you can use the support portal to report them. Also, as Settlers25 said, keep in mind they could just have bad internet and are lagging.  

have you talked to them? usually there could be a problem they're facing. For example once i talked to a mother who was trying to play and was distracted by her now upset toddler. She immediately apologized after i pointed it out and we had a less frustrating time (than if i'd directly got upset)

It helps if we are able to post players name here to publicly shame them.

Example: i am on evolving challenge and have no energy cards. I tell my opponent bout this and beg them to be fast. He replied "shh, dont rush me" and continues playing very slow. I decided to resign.

I am so ****** off.

Example: i am on evolving challenge and have no energy cards. I tell my opponent bout this and beg them to be fast. He replied "shh, dont rush me" and continues playing very slow. I decided to resign.

I am so ****** off.

The problem with allowing name shaming is that the community would become extremely cancerous.

Your opponent could have been a completely new player trying to read the cards to make sure that they did the right move, you really don't know.

I am so ****** off.

The problem with allowing name shaming is that the community would become extremely cancerous.

Your opponent could have been a completely new player trying to read the cards to make sure that they did the right move, you really don't know.

apart from what seminc said, most of the players here don't have time to check whether a rumour made by a public shaming is true or not. So whatever anyone says about you pretty much sticks with you no matter how much you try

I've read the posts here and will give my 2 cents.

I can't stand slow players, and if people are taking the maximum amount of time every turn (wherein the fuse appears) then they generally just get a concede. I understand that people like to believe their card games are strategic, but the simple fact remains that ptcg has never been difficult to play nor time consuming. When you have broken mechanics like the ability to use say, a dive ball to immediately start with an EX in a game where luck of the draw order is a major deciding factor you have no business wasting 20-30 minutes of someone's time in a match that should take 10.

I've read the arguments, and the cited "pros" but the simple truth of the matter is that this isn't chess... It's a children's card game for ages 7 and up. You can TRY to look several turns ahead, you can even act as if and believe you are in control. But in a game where what you draw is entirely random, there are ample effects that rely on coin flips and many other mechanics that rely entirely upon luck, you need to get your act together. I was one of the people in charge of one of the recent Barnes and Noble events, where we gave out charizard EXs and let the attendees learn the game with eon strike packs. Even when not playing the rigged "demo" version of the game, most children and adults were able to pick the game up and finish matches within 15 minutes. This isn't a long game, and anyone who argues otherwise is more than likely the reason the game feels long.

As for the people who play a card and then wait until the end of the turn, those are definitely people doing it to be nuisances, not connection interruptions. The issue is too prevalent, and will too often start up the second "you" start winning to be chalked up to the netcode or devices.

-The time limit for events is perfect. The game would be better off forcing faster play by making those timers universal.

Brock- I disagree as strongly as possible with your position that the game has little to no skill.  Have you heard about Rotom tricks?  Have you seen top-level competitors pull off amazing feats when you thought the game was over?  Have you seen Pooka win with a deck generated by Deck Wizard?  The simple fact is that thinking everything out and not rushing is the path to victory.

Everyone saying "players can take as much time as they want to win" forget about few things:

1. This is a fun game between 2 people. You can´t have fun when your opponent is a snail and if you are running your brain on 120%.

2. This is not a life depending situation, a war, a race. It´s game, it´s fun to do mistakes and learn from them and laugh at them later.

I like this post, pokemon to me is like chess. While your opponent is taking long, think of your next 3 moves, think of what he/she is going to do. 

Archived