Lets talk Legacy.......

RogueSpecter

So... Who's already bored to tears of Legacy and wants Unlimited back? I've been playing Legacy exclusively for tournaments since the switch and man, is it god awful! I could sum up the only decks you will ever need in Legacy with just 3 decks! (And thats how boring it is....)

1. V/G/C
  2. Darkrai/sable, or other variants like Absol Prime etc..etc.. 
  3. Mewtwo/Lando 

YAWN......... I mean, yeah. You can occasionally see decks like Tool Drop, or offbeat BB Blast/Keldeo. But to be fair, if you aren't bringing one of these 3 decks into tournaments, you are probably not taking home first place! 

Okay, I'm not saying Unlimited was any better, but seriously! We went from a massivly broken format (A.K.A Shiftry and friends) to a slightly better but still boring format with little to no creativity and tbh lackluster approach. This just makes it a never ending grind for packs with no real fun behind the deck construction. 

How to be good at LEGACY: 

Step 1.

Go to your computer.

Step 2.

Turn on said computer/device.

Step 3.

Net-deck one of the 3 top decks.

Step 4.

Win Win Win Win and after that.... Call everyone else bad for using a deck that you yourself didn't create and feel like a boss!!! WOW, so fun..... -_- Yawn....... 

So, we get no Legacy shop, can't use cards from "any" format, and have to grind grind grind grind grind grind (which PTCGO said they would not try to become! Guess the joke was on us...) and grind grind grind...... 

I'm happy I guess?! I have almost every card I want, FA's, SR's etc..etc.. But seriously have no drive to every want to actually play Legacy for fun. Seriously.... I can't be the only one who feels this way? 

If we at least had access to every card from every format, I think this would bring some fun into the gameplay, as you would see really creative decks being made every rotation, new exp, season, etc..etc.. But the way it is now..... LOL, jokes on us! (As it is every time) 

Edit: Oops! Almost forgot.... Weavile/Egg's. That makes 4! Ooh, so DIVERSE! -_-

(Also, pls don't give me the 3rd degree about how "every format is a net-deck fest." I know this, and I know that every card game; TCG/CCG is going to have a so called "Best Deck," this isn't my gripe! It's more so to the fact that Legacy will forever be stagnant with no new cards and thus will always have a top 3/4 that will never be replaced by newer cards to improve or randomize the format... Thus making it the most boring format of them all online......)

Glaciate-dusknoir!  Extremely hard to use, extremely slow, and auto-loss to Mr. Mime, but if you get set up it's crazy powerful.       But nobody uses it.

Yeah I totally agree with you . I have been playing legacy for a while now and am totally bored with it. 

Same old decks over and over again, I dont know know anything about unlimited cause i dont remember playing it but i think it could be more fun than legacy with more cards .

You forgot to mention reshiram/typhlosion deck too.

They will have to find some way to deal with unplayable cards once Expanded eventually rotates past XY ********** relatively soon, the format is too broken IMO. Laser Bank should have died last year, but it will still persist at least until the end of next format, probably longer.

I agrre that only 12 decks work in Legacy Turnement...

1 - Genesect ex / Celabie / Vir ex

2 - Weavile/Egg's

3 - Darkrai/sable,

4 - Lugia ex / Deoxys ex / Thundurus ex / Kyurem plasma

5 - Ray / Energy Dynamo / keldeo ex

6 - Typlotion prime / ramshaim

7 - Nintailes / Amoonguess

8 - Dragon call / Garchomp

9 - Toolbox

10 - Deoxys ex / Thundurus ex / Kyurem plasma

11 - Lando ex / Donphan Prime

12 - Donphan deck

I have played so many Legacy tournament and i know each deck is hard to defeat from that list. I play Genesec ex deck my self, and i see many other players that try to use Genesec deck also.

Skills:

But there is a big different between having a very good deck and know how to use it.

It req skills to know the right move: when to discard your hand with Juniper instead of Oak.

When to play special energy cards and when to not.

The most popular decks is: Plasma, Genesect ex, Weavile/Egg's, Darkrai/sable.

On the good site: We are able to get HGSS packs and B&W.

If Unlimited comes back i think it will only be XY packs... 

I miss Unlimited: Rare i get to use my Legend deck and want to know if it can go trough a Unlimited Turnement.

But: Time Puzzle and Junk Arm in same deck? That will not be fun,..

My issue with legacy is how so few people actually play in that format. Lately, tournaments take a long time to fill up, and searching opponents in VS mode takes a while as well. I haven't been playing legacy for just this reason alone.

I don't know what could be done to solve this problem, other than to keep making the cards more accessible, and/or add a couple of XY sets about to rotate out of standard into legacy, just to freshen up the format.

Legacy queues take longer because of three reasons:

1. The cards are older, so fewer have them.
  2. Tournament costs were recently doubled, roughly halving the number that will launch.
  3. Steam siege just launched, so many people are playing standard/expanded instead to get those packs.

1. The cards are older, so fewer have them.
  2. Tournament costs were recently doubled, roughly halving the number that will launch.
  3. Steam siege just launched, so many people are playing standard/expanded instead to get those packs.

But each HGSS packs has value from 2-3 RS packs.

The increase of turnement cost has increase the chance for a player to get packs.

• The cards are older, so fewer have them.
  • Tournament costs were recently doubled, roughly halving the number that will launch.
  • Steam siege just launched, so many people are playing standard/expanded instead to get those packs.

But each HGSS packs has value from 2-3 RS packs.

The increase of turnement cost has increase the chance for a player to get packs.

Just because the HS-era packs are in greater demand doesn't change anything SuperStone said about the difficulty of entering those tournaments.  Unless you added in a crazy fabulous Prize, it doesn't really change things.  For that matter, anything you add would naturally go down in value since it would then be more available. ;)

If you don't have a good, solid Legacy Deck yet, then the steeper entry fee discourages players from hoping they get a lucky win.  This is not all bad as it means fewer "...and my opponent is using a barely tweaked BW-era Theme Deck" entries, but it also means players are going to focus on one of the proven decks and go with it.

Even if you have a good, solid Legacy Deck, the steeper entry fees prevent you from playing as often, unless you literally have more tickets than you can use up.  I went from a reserve of like 300 tickets while playing grinding tournaments two to three times a month to about 80 while restricting myself to just playing a few tournaments once or twice a month.

Steam Siege is the "new toy" to play with, making it a bit more desirable than it ought to be.  This is also the smart time to obtain the best cards because (assuming you can deduce which is which) the prices will most likely only increase from now.  There is nothing as potent as Shaymin-EX (ROS) in this set, but I made sure to get my playset ASAP because as it has been proven, its value went up after already being high initially and has barely fluctuated since.  Even if it does go down, I got my booster pack's worth using them this whole time.

As for the main topic no, of course I don't want Unlimited back.  It was a terrible format. The Legacy Format isn't perfect, but as people obtain more cards for it, it should get better.  There are far more viable decks than RogueSpecter claims, and so far we are seeing things shift specifically because no top deck is invincible but instead has natural counters.  Once you complete a deck in the Legacy Format, it stays complete unless the shifting metagame demands you change it.  As opposed to "Oh, new cards released" or "Oh, old cards rotated out."

It isn't like we had the true Unlimited Format anyway; sets from before HeartGold/SoulSilver just don't exist in the PTCGO.

My issue with legacy is how so few people actually play in that format. Lately, tournaments take a long time to fill up, and searching opponents in VS mode takes a while as well. I haven't been playing legacy for just this reason alone.

I don't know what could be done to solve this problem, other than to keep making the cards more accessible, and/or add a couple of XY sets about to rotate out of standard into legacy, just to freshen up the format.

Probably because people like me left when they stopped unlimited instead of banning Shiftry. (FYI, I stopped by today to see if Unlimited is back... sigh)

Probably because people like me left when they stopped unlimited instead of banning Shiftry. (FYI, I stopped by today to see if Unlimited is back... sigh)

Welcome back :P and yeah unlimited is never coming back in the near future... le sigh

Archived