Newbie Needs a Deck

Redvendetta

Hello everyone,

WARNING: I can ramble, and a lot of this initial information is irrelevant and probably annoying.

I was recently craving some Pokemon goodness, so I decided to try this game and became totally hooked, I haven't had a Pokemon card since the 90s but I loved collecting the first generation (proud owner of all 16 shinies - somewhere...). While I never played the actual game when I was younger, I loved opening cards and that feeling of opening a pack is almost as good in digital form.

However this time I did try the game and I must say it's a lot of fun. I'm not confusing myself for an expert by any means, but using the basic theme decks my win ratio seems fairly healthy, but I need my own to start entering the tournament thingies and becoming the beautiful butterfree I know I can be.

So I have looked into a few deck suggestions, but it's a whole wide world out there and the freedom is...well, quite overwhelming. To this end I did what any good Pokemon trainer would do and looked for something to copy. I found at the world championships in 2015 there was a Rayquaza deck that looked interesting to me, it didn't win and is probably outdated now anyway but I like Rayquaza, and thought that was a good enough reason to start building the deck. So I need to start with the Pokemon - here's what I need:

Pokémon - 20

2 M Rayquaza-EX ROS 76
2 Rayquaza-EX ROS 75 (I got one of these already, so only need 1)
1 Rayquaza-EX ROS 60
1 Kecleon PLF 94
1 Heatran PHF 63
1 Keldeo-EX LTR 45
2 Aegislash-EX PHF 65
3 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
3 Bronzong PHF 61
3 Bronzor PHF 60
1 Cobalion-EX PLS 93

From what I understand the Shaymin EX is quite expensive, so I may well skip those 3 while I find my feet. In regards to what I have to offer, unfortunately it's going to have to be card packs.

If this is a disastrous plan, feel free to let me know, and any advice is always welcome.

In order to not confuse anyone into thinking I know what I'm talking about with any of this, I'll end with an appropriately nooby question. I understand that booster packs are used when trading but I'm not sure which ones? Is it generally the most recent expansion and if so, which is that?

It's nice to meet you all :)

Very happy that you got back into the game :) I can help you with nearly all of the cards that you need, although I must warn that your deck will be an Expanded only deck, which means you will be facing a tougher variety of decks with cards from a bigger selection of expansions. But nonetheless it is a fun deck to play :) 

As far as trading your packs for cards, don't worry because that is literally what 95% of the players prefer anyway. 

If you could let me know what packs you have to trade, I can give you some estimates and trade you most of the cards at a fairly cheap rate. 

The cards that I have are:

2 M Rayquaza EX

1 Rayquaza EX 75

1 Rayquaza EX 60

1 Heatran

2 Aegislash EX

3 Shaymin EX

3 Bronzong

3 Bronzor

Unfortunately, you are correct about the Shaymins being very expensive, yet they really are a must to making this deck work. Now I know that this is not the Deck Construction section, but I am nearly dying to make some suggestions for you.. I guess I can do that a little later if you want to customize your deck a little rather than just a straight copy-paste. 

Let me know :)

Hi dziesmer,

Glad I didn't scare everyone away with my walls of text - thanks for the response and for being willing to help. Right now I only have booster packs from the BreakPoint set, 20 of them. But I'll be venturing out into the world to get some more variation in my packs tomorrow morning after work so if you had any suggestions on which are currently preferred in dealings I'll be sure to pick some up. It is a bit of a shame that it's an expanded deck, but I'm still very keen to get it started and I'm very pleased you mentioned that you had some suggestions because I would LOVE to hear them - feel free to PM me if you think it's off topic.

(I might as well make a standard deck while I'm at it, so any suggestions on one of those would be appreciated greatly also, but I'll still be focusing on this one first...I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I don't even know what makes this deck expanded rather than standard)

Thanks again for making me feel welcome, and a bit less stupid.

Hi dziesmer,

Glad I didn't scare everyone away with my walls of text - thanks for the response and for being willing to help. Right now I only have booster packs from the BreakPoint set, 20 of them. But I'll be venturing out into the world to get some more variation in my packs tomorrow morning after work so if you had any suggestions on which are currently preferred in dealings I'll be sure to pick some up. It is a bit of a shame that it's an expanded deck, but I'm still very keen to get it started and I'm very pleased you mentioned that you had some suggestions because I would LOVE to hear them - feel free to PM me if you think it's off topic.

(I might as well make a standard deck while I'm at it, so any suggestions on one of those would be appreciated greatly also, but I'll still be focusing on this one first...I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I don't even know what makes this deck expanded rather than standard)

Thanks again for making me feel welcome, and a bit less stupid.

Helping players is literally my favorite part of this game, so this is no bother at all.

About the packs - BREAKpoint is a fairly decent set. It has the cards for the Greninja BREAK deck, which is the standard deck I am going to suggest later on in this post. As for what packs are most sought after by traders, that would definitely be Roaring Skies. If you can get some of those, everything but the Shaymin EX's will be extremely easy to get. And with Roaring Skies, you can get those as well. I can trade you everything else I said for BREAKpoint packs, I will list those now. If you want to wait for other replies to make sure my offer is fair, that's fine. But I can promise it will be.

(In terms of BREAKpoint packs)

2 M Rayquaza EX RS 76 - 1.5 each, 3 total

1 Rayquaza EX RS 75 - 1.5

1 Rayquaza EX RS 60 - 1

1 Heatran PhF - .5

2 Aegislash EX PhF - 3 each, 6 total

3 Bronzong PhF - .5 each, 1.5 total

3 Bronzor PhF- Free, they are commons

For a total of 13.5, rounded down to 13 for those 13 cards. If you want to try to find them cheaper, that is fine. There is a certain other friend of mine who I won't mention by name who enjoys giving away things for free. Perhaps he will show up, I'm not sure. The Shaymins I will only trade for Roaring Skies packs, and even then I am weary to trade them away, as the value keeps going up on them. But if you get Roaring Skies, we can work something out, but I would plan on paying 18-22 for each one. That's the deal breaker with this deck being good for a newer player. 

On that topic, I might suggest using Octillery instead of Shaymin. It doesn't work quite as well in this deck, but it still gives draw power from an ability and is soooo much cheaper. Like you could get a 1-1 Octillery line for 2-3 BREAKpoint packs. 

As for other suggestions for this deck, I would definitely use a 3-3 M Rayquaza line, and I would only use the colorless one personally. It fits so much better. 

Other than that, the core of your deck is pretty solid. But the key to making any deck good is the trainers. I won't go into too much detail, but I would suggest asking in the Deck Construction section for a list of core, staple trainers for expanded. 

Since you are working on this one first, I won't waste too much time on Standard suggestions, but my first would definitely be Greninja BREAK. It doesn't need to run any EX's, and really the only thing that is pricey in it is the BREAK's themselves, which are around 4-6 packs each. But literally the entire rest of the deck could easily be obtained with 5 packs, and you will already have your core, staple trainers from your Rayquaza deck. 

Don't hesitate to ask any more questions :)

I'm more than happy with those prices, I'd never turn down some freebies but I'm not looking for hand-outs either, so if your friend doesn't show up with any goodies I won't be disappointed. There's no way I'll be buying 60 Roaring Skies packs anytime lol, so I guess a trio of Shaymin is out of my league. In that regard an Octillery may be a better choice for me, at least for the meantime - would 1 be enough?

If I'm not mistaken (and I could well be, as I'm still getting used to the whole numbering and line terminology) you're suggesting 3 mega Rayquaza, and 3 of the colourless Rayquaza - if you think that's a more effective combination, I'd be happy to defer to your expertise. If my maths doesn't fail me, adding a mega Rayquaza and switching to Octillery (losing 3 Shaymin) should also keep the number of Pokemon cards the same at 20, which would definitely work for me.

In other news, I actually had 21 BREAKpoint booster packs, so I decided to open the 1 to make it an even 20, I got a full art mega Gyarados - so I'm in a pretty good mood with that. No idea if he's good or whether I'll make use of him, but it's a pretty card if nothing else haha.

Thanks again for your advice and help so far.

I'm more than happy with those prices, I'd never turn down some freebies but I'm not looking for hand-outs either, so if your friend doesn't show up with any goodies I won't be disappointed. There's no way I'll be buying 60 Roaring Skies packs anytime lol, so I guess a trio of Shaymin is out of my league. In that regard an Octilleries may be a better choice for me, at least for the meantime. 

If I'm not mistaken (and I could well be, as I'm still getting used to the whole numbering and line terminology) you're suggesting 3 mega Rayquaza, and 3 of the colourless Rayquaza - if you think that's a more effective combination, I'd be happy to defer to your expertise. If my maths doesn't fail me, adding a mega Rayquaza and switching to Octillery (losing 3 Shaymin) should also keep the number of Pokemon cards the same at 20, which would definitely work for me.

In other news, I actually had 21 BREAKpoint booster packs, so I decided to open the 1 to make it an even 20, I got a full art mega Gyarados - so I'm in a pretty good mood with that. No idea if he's good or whether I'll make use of him, but it's a pretty card if nothing else haha.

Thanks again for your advice and help so far.

Well, the Octillery are a stage 1, so having 2 of them requires 4 cards spaces. So you may need to switch around some trainers/pokemon or something to make that work. You would be adding 2 more cards than you have by doing what I suggested, so you would need to lose 2 somewhere. 

When you start winning tournaments, you will start to accumulate packs from spending time in game. My suggestion would be saving those up, and if Shaymin is what you feel like you need the most, that's what you should get. But they're not 100% necessary. 

Although M Gyarados isn't really very good, that is quite the way to start :D I would probably try to trade it for one of the rayquaza's you need or something. Or keep it because it is awesome to get that in your first pack :)

BTW, I need you to send me a friend request in game in order for me to be able to trade with you. Once you do that I can send you a trade :)

I sent you a friend request. That's a tough one on losing 2 cards - any recommendations on that? I know it's hard to suggest anything when not knowing the trainer/energy list but is there an obvious choice in just the Pokemon?

As for the Mega Gyarados, I'll keep him for a while at least, it's my first experience of a full art card so even if he sucks he'll serve as a reminder that I don't always have zero luck in pack opening.

I sent you a friend request. That's a tough one on losing 2 cards - any recommendations on that? I know it's hard to suggest anything when not knowing the trainer/energy list but is there an obvious choice in just the Pokemon?

As for the Mega Gyarados, I'll keep him for a while at least, it's my first experience of a full art card so even if he sucks he'll serve as a reminder that I don't always have zero luck in pack opening.

I would suggest posting a full deck list in the Deck Construction sub-forum, and let the real deck builders have at it. I will chip in too of course, but there are many who frequent the forums who are much better than I

Just a quick update on this, but not a shameless bump I promise. I still haven't settled on my deck choice, I think the topic I made in the deck help section only confused me further lol.

But I do have more packs available for trade now. Here's my list of packs at the moment.

BREAKpoint x30

Fates Collide x10

Roaring Skies x78

Steam Siege x34

Super pleased that I managed to find some roaring skies packs that weren't extortionate, not enough for my Shaymins I would guess, and I dare not open any in the hopes of getting my own haha.

Archived