Lugia's Pressure versus Theta Stop

Reslandero

Lugia's (Fates Collide) ability states:

As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, any damage done by attacks from your opponent's Active Pokémon is reduced by 20 (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

This ability clearly targets the opposing Active Pokémon, not Lugia itself. Say I have M Sceptile EX with Theta Stop active and my opponent has Lugia. When I use Jagged Saber to deal 100 damage against Lugia, the damage is still reduced by 20 even though Theta Stop should block that ability. There is no that red down arrow next to my M Sceptile telling that it would do less damage.

There is no official ruling to this yet but I believe I'm correct (being a judge myself).

It doesn't affect the attacking Pokemon, it says that any damage done to the Lugia is reduced, as in Lugia takes 20 less damage. It would say "Your opponent's Pokemon's attacks do 20 less damage" if it affected the opposing Pokemon. See if there is a green arrow on the Lugia.

Sorry, Mega and sqveel, but you've misread the part of the ability where it says "your opponent's pokemon". This appears to be a bug. For reference, here are some other threads where some people misunderstood what pokemon is affected by the ability and others explain it:

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/42917-

Well, the forum filter strikes again and won't accept a link to topic 42155.

Archived