Deck and pack lifespan

big_dragon16

I had saved up to get the second new deck today and to my surprise the one with volcanian was gone.  This led me to this question.  I'm hoping it's just a bug but if not here is my question.

When  are decks or packs rotated out and can we ever get the cards not listed in the packs/decks currently available, particularly those no longer available?

It would be GREAT if there was a single URL where the previously available, currently available, and soon to come packs/decks were all listed in a nice categorized way.  Ones that are currently available should be indicated of when they'll be removed if that is known.

Packs are rotated September. Unless if ur talking about the shop then idk how it rotates but you cant get any of the sets from before the legacy era starts. And legacy packs are obtainable only by tourneys or trading.

Ya I'm talking about in the shop.  So Nothing before legacy and legacy is only via tournaments or trading.  Good to know.  Thanks for posting and hopefully someone replies or the tcg team provides a site if one doesn't already exist.

The Steam Siege decks were removed temporarily while a card inside those decks is fixed.

Yeah, how can you not know that when a message is displayed about it whenever you log into the game?

Yeah, how can you not know that when a message is displayed about it whenever you log into the game?

Maybe he didn't know ninja boy is in both decks?

Thanks for clarifying this particular instance.

I knew ninja boy was banned and I know that I can't use the deck I already purchased.  When I first read the Ninja Boy error a few weeks back I made a mental note that ninja boy was banned.  Didn't really think about the decks being banned from purchase because I purchased one after the initial message from what I recall.

I see the error message indicates the suspension of the decks currently, but I figured that was from being used, not necessarily from purchase.

On to the more general topic, is there a page, forum, or other location that indicates how long a pack/deck is in life cycle?  This would be helpful in knowing where to focus while products are still available.

Thanks for clarifying this particular instance.

I knew ninja boy was banned and I know that I can't use the deck I already purchased.  When I first read the Ninja Boy error a few weeks back I made a mental note that ninja boy was banned.  Didn't really think about the decks being banned from purchase because I purchased one after the initial message from what I recall.

I see the error message indicates the suspension of the decks currently, but I figured that was from being used, not necessarily from purchase.

On to the more general topic, is there a page, forum, or other location that indicates how long a pack/deck is in life cycle?  This would be helpful in knowing where to focus while products are still available.

packs and decks usually last until rotation every year (usually somewhere in august)

each rotation 4-5 packs rotate out (more specifics are given out closer to the rotation date) so you can vaguely predict what packs will rotate. (this time, until phf will rotate out if i'm not wrong)

When a pack rotates out of standard, it's removed from the shop and the deck released with it rotates out of shop(for example, since furious fists is rotating out, so will dark hammer)

packs and decks usually last until rotation every year (usually somewhere in august)

each rotation 4-5 packs rotate out (more specifics are given out closer to the rotation date) so you can vaguely predict what packs will rotate. (this time, until phf will rotate out if i'm not wrong)

When a pack rotates out of standard, it's removed from the shop and the deck released with it rotates out of shop(for example, since furious fists is rotating out, so will dark hammer)

So are you referring to pages like this in terms of the rotation and announcements?

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-tcg-format-rotation-for-2017/

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/44501-pok%C3%A9mon-tcg-format-rotation-for-2017/

I see a large list of packs in the first link and this phrase is in the second link.

"For the 2017 Play! Pokémon season, we say goodbye to XY—Kalos Starter Set through XY—Phantom Forces, meaning that XY—Primal Clash and beyond will be Standard legal."

If so I don't see what you indicated by saying "since furious fists is rotating out, so will dark hammer".  Is there a page I'm missing that shows ones being rotated out or is this something you've picked up after a while?

So are you referring to pages like this in terms of the rotation and announcements?

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-tcg-format-rotation-for-2017/

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/44501-pokémon-tcg-format-rotation-for-2017/

I see a large list of packs in the first link and this phrase is in the second link.

"For the 2017 Play! Pokémon season, we say goodbye to XY—Kalos Starter Set through XY—Phantom Forces, meaning that XY—Primal Clash and beyond will be Standard legal."

If so I don't see what you indicated by saying "since furious fists is rotating out, so will dark hammer".  Is there a page I'm missing that shows ones being rotated out or is this something you've picked up after a while?

that's exactly what i mean.

Okay so kalos starter set - phantom forces are rotating out. This means xy base, the trainer kits for noivern and sylveon, flashfire, furious fists (the packs released between kss and phantom forces are rotating out as well.

Now go to the shop and highlight dark hammer. In the big picture that shows up on the right side, you may be able to make out the words "xy furious fists"

this means that dark hammer was released along with furious fists and will rotate out along with it. (similarly, you can make out the set which each theme deck was released with and see which will rotate (out of shop, not out of the "theme" format)

that's exactly what i mean.

Okay so kalos starter set - phantom forces are rotating out. This means xy base, the trainer kits for noivern and sylveon, flashfire, furious fists (the packs released between kss and phantom forces are rotating out as well.

Now go to the shop and highlight dark hammer. In the big picture that shows up on the right side, you may be able to make out the words "xy furious fists"

this means that dark hammer was released along with furious fists and will rotate out along with it. (similarly, you can make out the set which each theme deck was released with and see which will rotate (out of shop, not out of the "theme" format)

To elaborate on a_g's post, Dark Hammer will still be playable in the Theme format after September 1st, but you wont be able to purchase it in the Shop with tokens. You will only be able to redeem it from IRL codes.

Thank you very much for detailed explanation awesome_guy, and for clarification seminc.

It's too bad the series indication for the decks are so tiny and hard to read, hopefully they'll add a line in info page indicating the pack it came with in the future.

Archived