Pokemon TCG rotations? Banned cards?

vmiget

Ok, so i am new to pokemon tcg. Just started about 2 weeks ago. ok so i heard that there will be a new 2017 rotation beginning september. ok so i know that some of the older sets will be rotated out. ok and that if a card is reprinted, then it can be used. What i am wondering is what happens if there is a legal version of a card, can u use the older version (thats currently rotated out)? An example is Greninja. the greninja with the shuriken ability is being rotated out soon, but there is another greninja that is fropm the theme deck that has shadow stitching attack instead of an ability. Which greninjas can i use? since they both are called greninja. also, if you could, please link me to a thread or article explaining all these rules on rotation cards. oh and i want to know all this because i plan to play pokemon tcg competitively. i think all the locals in my area only host standard tournaments.  Thank you.

The only reason why you're allowed to use an out-of-rotation card that's been reprinted is because the only difference between the reprint and original card is the artwork, and the artwork of a card doesn't have any effect on gameplay.

If you apply the same logic to the greninja's, now gameplay is affected, because the XY Greninja has different attacks and abilities than the BreakPoint Greninja.

Google "Pokemon Announces 2016 Rotation – Primal Clash-On!" and click on the fincastle article--it lists some staple cards that will be staying or leaving :)

Archived